GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor///// Radiator Identification Senso

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Just talked to VW and they said the Sensor comes on the Radiator which cost like $400-$500.

correct..

The temperature sensor is made of cast polyurethane
resin and is non-removable once attached. If, however, an
attempt is made to remove the temperature sensor, the
sensor spigot will break away from the housing causing
it to become irreparably damaged, both electrically and
mechanically.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
correct..

The temperature sensor is made of cast polyurethane
resin and is non-removable once attached. If, however, an
attempt is made to remove the temperature sensor, the
sensor spigot will break away from the housing causing
it to become irreparably damaged, both electrically and
mechanically.

As much as I've read this, the guy on the other thread just re-installed his and the light hasn't come back on. And that thread is a few months old.

Utah Beast Mode

Ready to race!
I'll keep you guys posted on how I resolve this Ozone Sensor CEL issue. SPM is being cool and we are working on how to solve this. There has to be a workaround for that freaking sensor.

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
Anyone with this sensor running a Neuspeed throttle body pipe? I installed an APR intercooler tonight and spaced the radiator back to fit. When I installed the bigger pipe, it was rubbing on the radiator fan just a little. I figure when the engine rocks under acceleration it will probably hit pretty hard though. I put the stock pipe back in to get the car home and it fits fine, plenty of room.

Bcon

Ready to race!
As much as I've read this, the guy on the other thread just re-installed his and the light hasn't come back on. And that thread is a few months old.

I'm that guy. I took it out and zip tied it aside - CEL thrown, I cleared it, CEL thrown again.

So, I put it back, spaced the IC back a bit for clearance - no CEL, ever (and it's been quite a while).

Yes, the plastic clips break when you remove it. But, it fit in snugly when I put it back. I didn't use adhesive, and it hasn't moved.

My thought is (and I can't confirm this at all), it's a temperature sensor. I have no idea if it works by resistance or some other method. I think it senses the radiator temperature and references something else, like the coolant temp. If they don't jive, it assumes it's been tampered with and throws a code.

As for a simple fix (like a resistor) - that depends on how "smart" the coding is. It could easily be coded to not be "fooled" by a constant hot signal, and therefore not fooled by a resistor. However, that's pure speculation on my part........

In the end, putting it back worked, so I'm not messing with it any further.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I'm that guy. I took it out and zip tied it aside - CEL thrown, I cleared it, CEL thrown again.

So, I put it back, spaced the IC back a bit for clearance - no CEL, ever (and it's been quite a while).

Yes, the plastic clips break when you remove it. But, it fit in snugly when I put it back. I didn't use adhesive, and it hasn't moved.

My thought is (and I can't confirm this at all), it's a temperature sensor. I have no idea if it works by resistance or some other method. I think it senses the radiator temperature and references something else, like the coolant temp. If they don't jive, it assumes it's been tampered with and throws a code.

As for a simple fix (like a resistor) - that depends on how "smart" the coding is. It could easily be coded to not be "fooled" by a constant hot signal, and therefore not fooled by a resistor. However, that's pure speculation on my part........

In the end, putting it back worked, so I'm not messing with it any further.

Nice! Pretty sure mine is beat. It's been in for a while, aka since 2011, being smashed by the intercooler. Just spaced it back a few weeks ago when I started getting the codes. It did stay off for a while but now it came back again. I'm going to dig more into it at some point, but since it usually stays away in the winter I'm just leaving it along for now.

rossman869

Same issue here. Dealer has now replaced radiator 4 times under warranty because of this sensor. They have involved regional tech support and I called VWoA the last time. After 6 months, light came on again last week and has now shut off 5 days later. When I checked the reason, it was the sensor again! So frustrated. The dealer's mechanic who has worked for VW for 16 years and is a GTI enthusiast himself is at a loss. He suggests asking them to buy back my baby! Anyone gone down that path before??

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I haven't had mine come on in a while. After clearing the codes every time I got a CEL, I got pissed and just left it on. A few days later the CEL shut itself off (code still stored in vag-com, but no CEL) and it hasen't came back yet. I'm totally fine with this and am just rolling with it. As long as the car runs fine and I have no CEl I'm happy.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I have a '12 CBFA manufactured 11/2011. I don't have this sensor. Whatever it is, there MUST be a way to code it in or out.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I have a '12 CBFA manufactured 11/2011. I don't have this sensor. Whatever it is, there MUST be a way to code it in or out.

I'm sure there is. I talked to a friend that works for one of the tuning companies and he said they won't do it because it's an emissions device. Which doesn't make sense since it's the same place that gets rid of the light for the cat, but who knows.

Either way, it seems like if you leave the light on it turns itself off after a few days and stays off. That's good enough for me.

Stinger

Ready to race!
This fkg sensor is getting on my nerves... Just had a cel, took it to VW and learned the sensor is fried and it, as well as the radiator, need to be replaced.

It's all under warranty still, so not too much of an issue. But this is the 3rd sensor/radiator being replaced, the last one was only 3 months ago! WTF?!?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what causes repeated sensor failures? I'm getting a little paranoid that my stage 1 or other mod is an active contributor... btw, my water pump was also replaced twice... and my manifold once, and my fuel pump...

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
This fkg sensor is getting on my nerves... Just had a cel, took it to VW and learned the sensor is fried and it, as well as the radiator, need to be replaced.

It's all under warranty still, so not too much of an issue. But this is the 3rd sensor/radiator being replaced, the last one was only 3 months ago! WTF?!?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what causes repeated sensor failures? I'm getting a little paranoid that my stage 1 or other mod is an active contributor... btw, my water pump was also replaced twice... and my manifold once, and my fuel pump...

Stock intercooler? I would get it fixed again if it's under warranty. If not, leave the light on and it will go out itself and not come back.

Stinger

Ready to race!
Stock intercooler? I would get it fixed again if it's under warranty. If not, leave the light on and it will go out itself and not come back.

Sounds like a good solution. I suppose I will see the temp rise if the issue was not just the sensor...:eek:

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
If it hasn't been said already, APR deleted that sensor in my tune for me. Now I'm left crossing my fingers when emissions time comes.

Letus

Passed Driver's Ed