GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost have setup picked out to go Stage 2+

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
Looking to get my golf r stage 2+ in next month or so. i have looked around and what i have come up with so far is..

APR HPFP rebuild ( instead of autotech do it yourself option that is slightly cheaper)

CTS Turbo CAI

APR tune (Still on fence waiting to get numbers from GIAC and information on extreme tune)

Only thing i am not sure about is downpipe. I am looking at just downpipe now until i can gather some more money for catback. I am looking for catless downpipes. Pretty sure that i am gonig to go with 42DD with ceramic coating or CTS turbo one. Any opinions or personal experiences with products would be appreciated.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
If you are wanting to go with the GIAC extreme map you will need to go with the VF engineering intake. The reason is that the extreme map utilises the larger diameter intake MAF housing and then scales the MAF to the map. You do get better results though and their Extreme race map on a K04 with water meth is marvellous and my next step.:)

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
If you are wanting to go with the GIAC extreme map you will need to go with the VF engineering intake. The reason is that the extreme map utilises the larger diameter intake MAF housing and then scales the MAF to the map. You do get better results though and their Extreme race map on a K04 with water meth is marvellous and my next step.:)

Can u tell me about this giac extreme tune. Numbers or performance. I can't find a single thing anywhere online about it. Just keep hearing people mention how sick it is.

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
My opinion is to get APR's full TBE:) but the fact is that aint cheap and lots of guys on vortex went 42dd. Haven't heard of 1 issue.

U know what I had apr turboback on my mk6 gti and loved it but wish it was louder and a little deeper sounding.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
U know what I had apr turboback on my mk6 gti and loved it but wish it was louder and a little deeper sounding.

I hear ya, I want it for that reason as I personally enjoy a quieter ride. But for your purposes, I have dug up the most informative golf R DP thread know to man:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5857853-Golf-R-Aftermarket-Downpipes

Ps. Questions like these are best answered on vortex as it is much more active than golfmk6.com for R owners. This site actually has just as many, if not more, GTI guys commenting in the R section of this forum. Dont get me wrong, some GTI guys are very informative, others not so much. When the R was first released, especially in the states, this site was dominated by GTI guys trashing the R and littering the R forum with their reasons for not getting the R. I understand and totally get that... everyone has their reasons, it's just kinda lame to see it so much as one who took the plunge into the R. Also, mk4 and mk5 guys on vortex that went with the R likely never joined golfmk6 because the R was their first mk6... so, naturally, they just stayed there and never bothered to join this furom and those that did, visit rarely. People often talk about how this site is more civilized than vortex, I don't see it. Then again, I really only hang in the R forum on 'tex and that may be the exception... Lots of good peeps with a long dub history over there.:thumbsup:

However, there are definitely more Internet savvy folks here with hilarious memes and general cheeky forum shenanigans. No doubt, I get more laughs here:)

Last edited:

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Can u tell me about this giac extreme tune. Numbers or performance. I can't find a single thing anywhere online about it. Just keep hearing people mention how sick it is.

I just know that there are a few R's doing 11 second quarters with wmi and the extreme map. Plus my tuner had his ED30 on an extreme map and was the fastest fwd MK5 at the UK's biggest show of the year. He is still running GIAC, but on a Loba L04XX turbo and wmi at 440whp. Previously I had Revo on my R and moved over to GIAC to get matching engine and DSG maps and don't regret it one bit.:)

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Definitely go with the 42DD downpipe but why do you want to have it coated? If your worried about it rusting out or something don't be because it won't it will out last you

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OP, talk to www.kometmotorsports.com

They do GIAC. Personally, I'd also choose 42dd over APR for the TBE, or even consider AWE if the price isn't too high - probably is though. On Komet's dyno, all the GIAC tuned cars, GTI and R, typically showed better numbers than the APR cars.

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
Definitely go with the 42DD downpipe but why do you want to have it coated? If your worried about it rusting out or something don't be because it won't it will out last you

Well Chicago puts down some mad salt. Rather not have rusty downpipe 70k down the road. And if I ever need to re sell coated one will look almost New Years later

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
don't they jethot coat it as an option?

Dmueller343

Ready to race!

don't they jethot coat it as an option?

Yea they do a ceramic coating for like 150 which is the direction I'm leaning

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i'd do that. and maybe go APR and run the 42DD spacer with your downpipe and a non-test pipe file, then you would essentially be emission worry free.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Yea if you plan on keeping the car for a long time in chi town it may be worth it to have it coated but if you are going to get rid of the car in 5 years its not worth it

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
i'd do that. and maybe go APR and run the 42DD spacer with your downpipe and a non-test pipe file, then you would essentially be emission worry free.

Yea that the plan so far and then when I get some more cash I want non resonated milltek catback