GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM clutch and Stage 1

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
This may not be the exact number but i've read on a few threads that our clutch is rated at 250 ft/lbs (this is a torque rating) stage 1 brings you to about 300 ft/lbs. you're basically asking for a clutch designed to work for 250 ft/lbs (+ a little extra wiggle room) to handle about 20% more torque? that's just asking for trouble.

yes there is the possibility that people that have gone stage 1 + on their stock clutch and are fine, but they don't chime in so we'll never know.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Don't know if you guys will find this interesting or not, but I will throw it out.

Called the largest local VW tuner in my area today. He said he has done about 100 tunes on MKVIs. He said he has done 1 clutch at the owner's request at the time of the tune. And that's it.

I clarified with him and he reiterated: 100 APR tunes and not one blown clutch (although one clutch upgrade).

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Don't know if you guys will find this interesting or not, but I will throw it out.

Called the largest local VW tuner in my area today. He said he has done about 100 tunes on MKVIs. He said he has done 1 clutch at the owner's request at the time of the tune. And that's it.

I clarified with him and he reiterated: 100 APR tunes and not one blown clutch (although one clutch upgrade).

What transmissions do those cars have? Are they all 6MT? Also, how are those owners driving their cars, and how many miles/km do the cars have now? This is all very important to help determine whether clutch/DSG life will be shortened over the long term.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
These were manuals. Of course driving style, etc are important.

I'm just putting it out there that if he hasn't seen clutch failures, perhaps we are getting a very skewed viewpoint here.

If he said that 30% were failing, then of course we would want to know who these drivers were (ie: what driving habits). But with 0% failure, what difference does it make?

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
The numbers just don't make sense to me. If your local tuner chipped a lot of cars and had almost no clutch wear complaints for the mk6, the ones that had complaints probably got it fixed at a different place. I'm not trying to say your clutch won't wear out if you're stock, I'm trying to say a tune will probably increase the rate of clutch wear. Even if the number of ppl reporting clutch wear on this forum are skewed, they are the only info we can currently look at.

What this comes down to is the actual oem clutch rating. I've seen 250 float around here a lot, if someone can somehow find the actual rating, things will be a lot clearer

fredf

Go Kart Champion
The numbers just don't make sense to me. If your local tuner chipped a lot of cars and had almost no clutch wear complaints for the mk6, the ones that had complaints probably got it fixed at a different place. I'm not trying to say your clutch won't wear out if you're stock, I'm trying to say a tune will probably increase the rate of clutch wear. Even if the number of ppl reporting clutch wear on this forum are skewed, they are the only info we can currently look at.

What this comes down to is the actual oem clutch rating. I've seen 250 float around here a lot, if someone can somehow find the actual rating, things will be a lot clearer

I absolutely hear you and I don't mean to argue this point. But even if people are getting their clutches fixed elsewhere, surely he would have seen or fixed at least a couple. He does do clutches and many people recommend him for service.

Just saying, it may not be that big a problem. It's least that's what I am hoping. You see, the way I am looking at it is like this: the chip is a $600 mod. If I will definitely need a clutch soon, then it's a $1600 mod. I'm not into doing mods. Just want a bit for fun. At $1600 I'm not so interested.

Don't know if that makes any sense but that's my thinking at present.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
I hope it's not a big problem either. trust me when the tune was released I was set on getting it asap i even emailed a few dealers. then a bunch of threads starting popping up about clutches slipping and all of them are mostly stage 1 or higher. my plan now is to drive my car normally until the oem clutch starts to die and when its time to replace my clutch, im gonna do a nice upgrade and start having fun then.

oeguy

Ready to race!
I have a crazy idea Fred I've watched you analyze and dance around getting a stage 1 tune for quite a while now. You are an active member on this forum and you seem like you're a VW guy or at least enjoy your car.
Heres my crazy idea, why don't you leave your car the way it is? You're looking for someone to tell you why the tune is worth it now you've finally come to the conclusion that you want the tune and here you go with a clutch concern.

Come to a local meet this spring talk to people who have a tuned car whatever tune whatever tune it may be APR, REVO UNITRONIC and ask them what they think maybe they'll tell you any issues they've had related to the tune that can help you with your decision because at this point you know at least 90% of the guys on these forums have tunes on there cars and 100% of them love it. So rule of thumb is if your gonna mod your car you expect some additional wear and tear! please man it's common sense along with clutchs let's throw in brakes and tires to your list of concerns cause you will go through those a lot quicker as well. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but if you're this concerned for the love of God man don't do it.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I have a crazy idea Fred I've watched you analyze and dance around getting a stage 1 tune for quite a while now. You are an active member on this forum and you seem like you're a VW guy or at least enjoy your car.
Heres my crazy idea, why don't you leave your car the way it is? You're looking for someone to tell you why the tune is worth it now you've finally come to the conclusion that you want the tune and here you go with a clutch concern.

Come to a local meet this spring talk to people who have a tuned car whatever tune whatever tune it may be APR, REVO UNITRONIC and ask them what they think maybe they'll tell you any issues they've had related to the tune that can help you with your decision because at this point you know at least 90% of the guys on these forums have tunes on there cars and 100% of them love it. So rule of thumb is if your gonna mod your car you expect some additional wear and tear! please man it's common sense along with clutchs let's throw in brakes and tires to your list of concerns cause you will go through those a lot quicker as well. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but if you're this concerned for the love of God man don't do it.

You don't sound like a jerk at all.
And you've got me pegged 100%. I have, and am still, dancing around this issue. I feel like an idiot who cannot make up his mind.

What you propose is a good idea.
Why I want to proceed now is
1. The sale is on (I know, it will likely be repeated in the summer again)
2. I plan to take a driving vacation around May and would like the tune for then.

But I hear you man. I should either do it now or just wait and come out and talk to you guys.
Thanks for the advice. It's very sensible (damn!).

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Been there, Bro.. in fact, I'm there deciding if i should try the new version flash or not.

Plac: are you a 6MT and if so do you have the original clutch? How much mileage do you have on your tune... you are already flashed aren't you?

oeguy

Ready to race!
Fred I have a close friend with an MKV GTI 06 manual trans giac tuned from day 1 just over 100k on it with original OEM clutch in it and still going strong as far as I know and I speak with him several times a week.

I have a stage1 APR 23k on my car and had my clutch swapped under warranty due to a faulty slave cylinder though. I am in Toronto as well and spring is around the corner I'm sure there will be a meet within the next few months. Until then continue reading reviews and do some more research but IMO with only stage 1 as a DD you will be fine.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
This is from Tom at APR Tuning in response to a question on VWVortex regarding this issue:

"Are you seeing clutch failures on Stage 1 cars? Is the OEM manual clutch up to the task of handling the torque of Stage 1 (I know the DSG is)?
Tom: No only like 1 so far and the TSI has been out for nearly 3 yrs now, and the FSI for like 6yrs and there isn't that huge of torque difference

The 240mm clutches are pretty strong"

I think I will desist with this issue now and just make a decision and live with it.

Thanks for all the input.

oeguy

Ready to race!
You'll be fine Fred my other piece of advice would be not to watch the shop do it because watching your new car get pulled apart isn't fun.

I had mine done at K&H I was prolly the first APR flashed MK6 in Toronto I got the same day he received the tool to perform the flash and actually was there again yesterday to get the new V1.2 SW installed and I must say they have made some changes to the original flash and of course for the better:) I'm sure you will be happy with the tune.