GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Owner Questions

FJJazzer23

Hi all, this is my first posting on here after spending a few weeks lurking. I purchased a '12 GTI at the beginning of July and have been greatly enjoying the car. I just got it back from it's first visit to a shop and found out quite a bit about the car from them that I didn't know when I bought it. So I have a number of questions that I'd like to pose to you all (My apologies for the long post)

Firstly, the reason it went into the shop was that both fuel pumps malfunctioned. Apparently the pump inside the tank was operating at 80% on idle (which tripped the CEL) and the HPFP wasn't working correctly causing an extended crank. With all that said everything was covered under warranty, but my question is:

How common are fuel pump issues with the Mk6? Is this just a fluke or is this pretty common?

Also, when I purchased the car it was obvious that one of the two previous owners had modified the car, but I didn't know the extent of the modification. I could see an APR Stage I intake so I made sure to take it into a shop that APR deals with and was informed that the car also has an APR Downpipe and a Stage II ECU Tune. Which is great because these are modifications I likely would have made down the road, but now they are covered under the Extended Warranty that I purchased with the car. But my question is:

What should I do to protect my investment? For example I've read that Stage II can eat thru a clutch in the MT, so what other things should I be wary of that come as a result of being a Stage II car?

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
You pretty much covered all the known potential issues with the car. If your coils are not red then I would go get some red ones, aka r8 coils, as it is pretty much only a matter of time before you will need them. There is also a chain tensioner that might need to be replaced based on what version you have.

The clutch will eventually start to slip on stage 2 tune. My clutch slipped on stage 1 as I have a heavy foot. I would start saving for a clutch now.

To my knowledge the HPFP has been known to fail in these vehicles, so that's not out of the ordinary.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
The HPFP can fail on these cars at times depending on how much they're being asked to do (i.e. a tune requesting more fuel). That being said, it's not a big deal.

Yes, APR Stage 2 can eat through a stock clutch. That being said, your clutch may have already been upgraded. My advice is if you feel it start to slip, then just be gentle with it until you put a new clutch in. Otherwise, there's no reason not to drive it normally.

I doubt any aftermarket mods are going to be covered under an extended warranty, so just be aware of that. Otherwise, just keep an eye on regular maintenance. Reading through some of the threads already on here will provide valuable info as well.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I almost never hear or read of bad fuel pumps, probably just a fluke.

These cars are known for 2 big things. Leaking water pumps, and bad timing chain tensioners. Since you have a 2012 model you may have a newer and revised timing chain tensioners (google for more info), and since you car is already stage 2 you probably have an upgraded clutch. Its pretty uncommon for stock clutch to last long on a stage 2 MK6.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
One more item that I have experienced is a failed intake manifold. Mine was replaced under warranty even with a tune, so if it happens you might still be covered (VW has a 120k extended warranty on the intake manifold). Haven't heard much on fuel pumps, so you may just have an anomaly there.