GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reduce exhaust sound, need help

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Hi all, this morning I got arrested because of my exhaust making more sound than the OE exhaust system, this is not legal here. Other than that, I have read that they can only give me a ticket for it and they can't force me to change it, since I have all componements. (Catalytic, silencer). She said my car miss a muffler.

I would like to know what do your recommand me to reduce the sound of the exhaust, I have seen resonator, but I don't think it's enough. I think adding a muffler would be the best solution.

For reference, this is the cat-back system I installed: http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15_70_77&products_id=305

This exhaust seems better, if I would have know I would have buy it: http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15_70_77&products_id=303

I don't want to sell my cat-back exhaust, I would like to keep but to reduce the sound. I have seen stuff like Universal Exhaust Baffle silencer for motos, might it works with car, but I don't know what is the real name of this and if it would work.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Kind regards.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Its basically a single Borla system with a fancy tip. Borla has system for the 2.5 with 2 mufflers do a search and copy that setup may get you legal again.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Its basically a single Borla system with a fancy tip. Borla has system for the 2.5 with 2 mufflers do a search and copy that setup may get you legal again.

Are you it's sell by Borla ? I don't find any link for Golf 2.5:

I wish I could keep my exhaust system and just add a muffler before the tips. I will try to sell it and change it for the one with TechtonicTuning sell with 2 borla muffler.

I'm thinking about buying an oval muffler center/center 2.5"

This resonator seems nice: http://vibrantperformance.com/catal...id=46&osCsid=a45fd21bc03ceeeb1a0009988c6e4bea, if I buy it, what would be the better spot to put it on my exhaust line, after the downpipe (before the muffler) or after the muffler ?

Last edited:

gugu1981

Passed Driver's Ed
It may not be sold by Borla, but just uses Borla components. The second link you provided in your original post is possibly exactly what MLue1 is referring to. If you read the description, it has dual(2) Borla mufflers.

You can potentially buy a smallish Borla muffler, take it to a muffler shop, and show them the picture from the second link, to have them weld it in the same spot.

OR contact Techtonics and see if they can sell you just the rear section. Based on the pictures, it looks like the exhaust systems are broken down into 2 pieces, and one of the piece is the same across the 2 systems. If you can get Techtonics to sell you just the rear section, it'll save you time on finding the right sized muffler (the space looks very limited) and finding a muffler shop to weld it on correctly, including the hangers.

Peter

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Hi all, this morning I got arrested because of my exhaust making more sound than the OE exhaust system, this is not legal here.

I[/url]

This exhaust seems better, if I would have know I would have buy it: http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15_70_77&products_id=303

Thanks for your help in advance,
Kind regards.

Wait a minute....where in Canada do you live that they can arrest you for an exhaust? I've heard of impounding, towing, ticketing etc....but never have I heard of anyone being arrested for a noise ordinance infraction. What were you arrested for? Trespassing? Disturbing the peace? What city/province are you in with such draconian lawmakers? Was it RCMP that arrested you?

Jus curious....

slap a suitcase muffler on that bad boy and i'm sure it'll silence right up

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Wait a minute....where in Canada do you live that they can arrest you for an exhaust? I've heard of impounding, towing, ticketing etc....but never have I heard of anyone being arrested for a noise ordinance infraction. What were you arrested for? Trespassing? Disturbing the peace? What city/province are you in with such draconian lawmakers? Was it RCMP that arrested you?

Jus curious....

slap a suitcase muffler on that bad boy and i'm sure it'll silence right up

I live in Québec, I was driving in town, I met a police with the window open, she heard my car tone, she made a u-turn and then she stopped me. She asked for my licence and gave me a ticket : 169$. She said my car is not legal and it can't make more sound than the OE exhaust. The logic behind that is stupid. She told me that if I would have a Mazda and I would put a Mazdaspeed exhaust, it would be legal since it's an OE exhaust for Mazda speed, so does it means I can use a GTI exhaust since it's a golf and I have a golf... That also means, that you can't install nice exhaust system on new modern car since any exhaust system will be louder than the stock one, new cars are getting so quiet now... In that case, I could get a old car making a lot of noise with stock exhaust and I could put the same exhaust I got on my golf on this car and it would be legal. But in my case, it's not legal since golf are quiet... Can we agree that both cars will have similar loud sound, but my car have a better antipollution system than the old car, so in fact, I'm more legal than a legal car, so my car should be legal...

Edit: I didn't understand your main point, but just realized the real meaning of "getting arrested" in English, I'm not English and the translation of it in my language doesn't have the same meaning, there was no handcuffs. ^^ I don't want to look ignorant, but how do you say "getting stopped by a police officer" ?

Last edited:

nature boy

Ready to race!
how do you say "getting stopped by a police officer" ?

"i was stopped by a police officer".

i was surprised too when you said arrested, but being canadian myself i figured you just mean "stopped".

for your exhaust, you could just source a mk5 gti exhaust and weld your current tips on that. if you can't go for the sound you might as well keep the look. i'm sure you could still sell the piping to cover probably the entire cost of that conversion.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
I everyone, I got ticketed again today. Same reason, car is more loud than stock sound.

I received my old ticket today, 169$ and the one I get today will be aprox. 169$ too. And I also got a other ticket today at the the same time, the officer told me that I did a unnecessary acceleration, she haven't saw me, she told me that she heard me, but she didn't see me... Seriously what the fuck is this, what kind of a human can tell how fast an object goes by the sound it makes... I meant, I could have been on neutral or even on second gear at 60km/h, anyway she is a police officier... Autority wins over logic...

I would like to get your advice, I'm planning to swap a gti exhaust on my 2.5L. Unfortunately, I will have to sell my TechtonicsTuning exhaust to cover a part of those fees. Would you rather install a second muffler on my current exhaust system or would you swap the exhaust for a gti one ?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Holy Crap, what part of Quebec are you in?
I have the original mid muffler that came with the car and axle back GTI suitcase muffler with Neuspeed P-Flow, that combination is quiet like stock and does not affect power output, infact I gain some torque.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Holy Crap, what part of Quebec are you in?
I have the original mid muffler that came with the car and axle back GTI suitcase muffler with Neuspeed P-Flow, that combination is quiet like stock and does not affect power output, infact I gain some torque.

Do you have something like that: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-G...5447&clkid=2569876025425676632&_qi=RTM2247625 ?

(Yea the price is high, I have seen a full MK7 GTI exhaust system at 200$CAD on Kijiji)

Does it sound louder / better when accelerating ?

And I live inCentre-Du-Québec.

I hesitate a lot, I think putting a second muffler would be less expensive, but I have to find a muffler which reduces sound a lot without affecting performances.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yup thats what I have, got it for $40 CAD. I installed the axle back GTI suitcase because this engine is a bit hard to get right. It needs some back pressure to create good power, some people have lost HP/TQ installing big exhaust pipes, by kept the original mid muffler to ensure that what ever resonance tuning and keep the exhaust gas velocity that VW had engineered would remain, my dyno results shows that was accomplished.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Yup thats what I have, got it for $40 CAD. I installed the axle back GTI suitcase because this engine is a bit hard to get right. It needs some back pressure to create good power, some people have lost HP/TQ installing big exhaust pipes, by kept the original mid muffler to ensure that what ever resonance tuning and keep the exhaust gas velocity that VW had engineered would remain, my dyno results shows that was accomplished.

Where do you bought the axle back ? 40$ is a pretty cheap price ;) So you kept the stock exhaust with all the stock components except for the axle-back ?