GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I started with iphone, because, well, they were kinda the pioneers for smartphone/touchscreen. I dumped them when they got into a fight with google and wanted to make their own map program. At the time, they wouldn't let google maps be an app even. It put me in the wrong location several times. That was enough for me.

While I am barely able to use the phone, I am far from a "phone nerd".

It's really quite simple while I switched to Android. I will list them below.

1. Expandable storage. The iphones limit(ed) you to a tiny amount of storage. As they increased camera MP, the storage did not increase. As such, kept running out of room and having to delete pictures to take new ones. S4 had ability to add a memory card. That was pretty much all I needed to sway me.
  2. User replaceable batteries were a thing until recently for Samsung. That meant after your battery stopped holding a good charge, you just bought a new $20 battery and you were back in business. Obviously they have done away with that now.
  3. Cameras seemed to be rated better for Samsung vs Apple of the same generation.
  4. The biggest one would be the propriety stranglehold that Apple has on their customers. HAVE to use a lighting cord, which no one else in the world is compatible with except apple stuff. And the cheapest ones are still $15 for a single cord. My one USB cord will charge everything I own. Plus I can get like 6 of them for $10. New phone (and the 7) has the new USB C connector which is awesome and supposed to be the new standard for everything. They are even talking about it replacing HDMI cables. Meanwhile, apple still uses their proprietary cord.
  5. Headphones anyone? Apple basically forced all their owners to get bluetooth headphones because they new own Beats. No more line-out to a stereo/speaker, no wired head phones, no attachments like credit card readers....basically fucked anyone in that category. GF and her kids are all apple people. None of them want to upgrade their old phones because of the headphone jack issue.
Samsung was also pulling head in their new technology too, after Apple was killing it from the beginning. AMOLED screen, Water resitance, wireless charging, etc. At least Apple finally is catching up on some of that.

Oh, and they still don't have expandable storage? Sure, I'll pay an extra $200 for apple to give me the storage I can buy for a $20 memory card.

Fair enough.

I recall people in an uproar about Apple ditching Google maps. I've never had an issue with it. My wife got in on the Google maps outrage and now uses Google maps. To me it seems clunkier... I just use the built in stuff, no complaints yet?

The expansion card slot on Android phones is definitely nice, I don't get why that's not an option on the Apple phones.

Tho I also struggle to understand how people can completely bury their phone with 128gb of crap.... tho in a later post you mentioned movies? That'd do it.

I keep music on my phone, I have a 64gb iPhone SE, most of it 320k or Lossless... and it's enough to leave plenty of space for pics. I've not run into an instance yet where I *needed* to delete.

Headphone jack was a stupid move too IMO. I hate wireless shit for reasons you mentioned (charge my headphones? What?) But... that's also new as of the iPhone 7... people have been bashing Apple way before that...

The cord thing doesn't bother me. I've got a few iPhones in the house.... my SE, my son's 7, my wife's 6, my old 5S (which I use in the car as a laptimer/diagnostics tool). My Apple mouse uses a lightning cord to charge, too.

The only other stuff I have to charge are my GoPro's.... the way I see it, THAT is the device that needs a "special" cord... :)

Jaber

Modero
Charging stations FTW. Plug everything in at night and you're G2G the next day. They sell some decent ones on Amazon, for your nightstand.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
These modem/router combos from ISP, you can usually put them in bridge mode, so they function only as a modem and you can attach your own router. Otherwise if you attach a router to a router, you're creating what's called "double NAT". Not good for gaming, VPN, devices sharing within the network, UPnP ,etc. Just complicates things and for none tech person, things that should work right off the bat, don't. Because traffic isn't getting routed properly.

wow.^

ill look into it thanks bro

my view of you right now yeah^

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Jeez that's nuts.

My iPhone SE burns up the battery during the day "Searching...." for service because T-Mobile, streams 2-4 hours of Spotify every day during my commute, and I still have probably 40% by the time it gets plugged in at night.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Not impressed. My iPhone 6S Plus has everything I need.

I got rid of my 6S for an SE because the 6S was just too damned big.

6S Plus? Doesn't it feel like you're carrying an iPad around with you all the time?

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
My battery only lasts about 2 hours these days. Less if I'm using the phone. Definitely time for an upgrade

just change the battery, takes 10 seconds cause android

i changed an iphone battery once, wasnt difficult but definitely not something everyone wants to attempt

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Fair enough.

I recall people in an uproar about Apple ditching Google maps. I've never had an issue with it. My wife got in on the Google maps outrage and now uses Google maps. To me it seems clunkier... I just use the built in stuff, no complaints yet?

The expansion card slot on Android phones is definitely nice, I don't get why that's not an option on the Apple phones.

Tho I also struggle to understand how people can completely bury their phone with 128gb of crap.... tho in a later post you mentioned movies? That'd do it.

I keep music on my phone, I have a 64gb iPhone SE, most of it 320k or Lossless... and it's enough to leave plenty of space for pics. I've not run into an instance yet where I *needed* to delete.

Headphone jack was a stupid move too IMO. I hate wireless shit for reasons you mentioned (charge my headphones? What?) But... that's also new as of the iPhone 7... people have been bashing Apple way before that...

The cord thing doesn't bother me. I've got a few iPhones in the house.... my SE, my son's 7, my wife's 6, my old 5S (which I use in the car as a laptimer/diagnostics tool). My Apple mouse uses a lightning cord to charge, too.

The only other stuff I have to charge are my GoPro's.... the way I see it, THAT is the device that needs a "special" cord... :)

I am just glad the women all have iphones because they don't take my cord then. Momma is ALWAYS looking for her cord because the kids take it. I am pretty sure she buys one at least ever week.

When I said movies, I meant ones that I take. For instance, I took 3 6 minute clips for work last week. Each of them were around 2gb each. If recording kids, pets, etc, it eats up space pretty facst

I got rid of my 6S for an SE because the 6S was just too damned big.

6S Plus? Doesn't it feel like you're carrying an iPad around with you all the time?

Thats why I like the samsungs. They have gone more narrow. My note 4 felt too big, which is why I upgraded to the 7 when it was out. The new Note 8 is almost the same physical size as my s7 I am using now. Pretty amazing actually.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
My 6 is crapping the bed. Can't even use it outside anymore. Been waiting on the new one to release so the 7 price would drop a bit. A thousand bucks for the X is nuts.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
I see Iphone introduced their new phones. Basically the same as last version. Their X model is basically the same as the s8 with all screen. I see they jumped on the wireless charging bandwagon finally.

Jaber

Modero
I see Iphone introduced their new phones. Basically the same as last version. Their X model is basically the same as the s8 with all screen. I see they jumped on the wireless charging bandwagon finally.

Hopefully no fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.