GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VIN required to order parts??

myfastgti1

Ready to race!
Called my local VW today, to order the turbo flange gasket, specified exactly what i wanted, the parts employee understood, but said he couldn't order anything without my VIN.

Is this a bit weird? or am i just being paranoid?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
It's standard for every manufacturer as far as I know. They do it so they don't have to learn all of the intricacies of every trim/option configuration to know which part version will fit your car.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
It's standard for every manufacturer as far as I know. They do it so they don't have to learn all of the intricacies of every trim/option configuration to know which part version will fit your car.

There is no reason they will not allow you to order a specific part#, VIN# check is only required if you dont know what it is.

Go to another stealership, you'll be able to find someone to just order the part.

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
A lot of times is just so the parts guy doesn't screw up and order the wrong part and then have to deal with returning it and ordering the correct one. Giving your VIN # reduces the stupid in the parts dept by a bit, yet somehow with it they still manage to get sh*t wrong.

Give them the part # of what you want. Or go to a different dealership.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I called a dealership and they asked me and I asked them why, they said to make sure I get the right part for my car. I told them I know everything about my car (like a smartass), and all he cared about really was is it a CBFA or CCTA engine... (downpipe gasket).

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
There is no reason they will not allow you to order a specific part#, VIN# check is only required if you dont know what it is.

Correct. If you have the specific part # that you want, then you don't need to do the VIN lookup.

Some manufacturers also make your purchase non-refundable if you don't provide a VIN so that they can be sure you get the correct part #.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
What's to fear? It's common practice to ensure you get the proper part. Manufactures are changing things all the time within the same generation of model so it's standard practice to validate what you're really needing is the right part.

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
Why go through all the trouble to avoid giving the dealer your VIN? That way in the future they just look up your account and BAM they already have it.

myfastgti1

Ready to race!
I CAN HAZ TD1?? haha

anyways for anyone reading this, who is paranoid about giving your vin.
PN is 1k0253115ab

/end

jni3

Ready to race!
What's to fear? It's common practice to ensure you get the proper part. Manufactures are changing things all the time within the same generation of model so it's standard practice to validate what you're really needing is the right part.

+1