GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Build-up at 26K Miles

haymest

My dealer just told me that I need to do a cleaning at 26K miles. When I asked why it was building up they said it was gas or driving conditions. I don't really buy that given that I have yet to see anyone who needed it this early. They claim it's so bad that it's causing misfirings on three cylinders. They are replacing the intake manifold under warranty.

I've always put 93 octane premium in the car from reputable gas stations. I drive aggressively but don't redline it with regularity. Anyone else have this come up so early? Any other theories (preferably warranty-related) that might cause carbon to build up so quickly? They want $800 to do the cleaning. Is that excessive?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Did you push to have this covered under warranty? It seems to me that if you've followed the manual for the car (premium gas, driving habits, etc.) and your engine is stock, that this kind of problem should not fall on you to fix.

haymest

They're talking it over with the service manager as I write this. I agree that this is excessive but I was wondering if I was unique in this experience.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Dang. My 2011 has 26k miles as well, and I drive it similarly. Carbon cleanup every 25k miles when stock is simply unacceptable. I'll have to brace myself when I take it in for the next oil change/DSG software update. I wasn't planning to have to do this until at LEAST the DSG fluid change at 40k.

Something tells me the carbon build-up on the exhaust tips might not be from rich afr under boost, but from burned up PCV crud going through the engine.

RudyTR

Ready to race!
This is the type of shit that makes me want to sell my car. 26k and excessive carbon. This should definately be covered under a new car warranty.

haymest

I'll keep you posted on what the dealer says. The more I look the more I think this is a problem with the engine that should be covered under warranty. I haven't seen anyone do this under 50K and most seem to say 100+K.

Last edited:

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Get a catch can i guess.... maybe i should get one while my car's young. :yikes: last time i got my car serviced I over heard a service rep talking to a lady about build up in the intake. She had a CC so same engine. They are prone to this sadly. :( But i really dont think we should have to pay for this. All VW needs to do is put some kind of catch can from the factory and they can prevent all this!

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Get a catch can i guess.... maybe i should get one while my car's young. :yikes: last time i got my car serviced I over heard a service rep talking to a lady about build up in the intake. She had a CC so same engine. They are prone to this sadly. :( But i really dont think we should have to pay for this. All VW needs to do is put some kind of catch can from the factory and they can prevent all this!

Catch can has not been shown to prevent this.

One case here guys. Chill.

Last edited:

Geofux

Ready to race!
The dealer first has to check and make sure that there are no issues with the car... If there aren't, then driving conditions and other variables have to be looked at to find the cause. The dealer does not want to warranty the work and then be out the money when the claim is rejected and charged back.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, but I just want to make sure you guys see it from the other side of the fence before you say that it should just be covered under warranty. It doesn't look good on a dealer when they get charged back. One thing you have on your side is that it is an extreme case.

It seems that the dealer is working to rectify the situation - it is very early to have to worry about carbon build-up, but haven't we seen other cases of 'premature' carbon build-up? If you need to push it up the chain to VWoA then do so to see if you can have this service covered.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
This is extremely common for a direct injected engine. The only real option is to get it cleaned either yourself or through a reputable shop. Catch cans do nothing to avoid this problem. I just recently ran meth/water injection in my car, which cleans the vavle head and manifold, completely eradicating carbon build up. Although i did do this early, my car only has 7k miles on it :D

In sum, the only mod to give you piece of mind is meth/water injection, my kit cost me 300 clams and is a stage 1 Snow performance kit . And once again CATCH CANS DO NOTHING FOR OUR ENGINES!

i bought it from BSH
http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore/

haymest

Thanks, Geoff. I'm willing to pay (reluctantly) if this is somehow my fault but I've done everything by the book so far. I've even had my services done (marginally) early 8K, 18K, and now 26K. I've used Premium gas as well. This car does have a repair history involving the radiator, radiator fans, a mis-installed air hose to the filter, and a cracked clutch but I don't see any of those being related to this issue. I live in Houston where it's hot but we generally don't get dust storms or anything else that might be defined as unusual "driving conditions."

I was trying to get a second (or third) opinion about the timing of this issue. I have a friend with a 2007 MKV and he's got 56K on it without having this service done and that's with the older engine which seems to have a bigger problem with than the one in the MKVI.

Last edited:

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
My buddy with a CPO'd Audi S5 had his covered under warranty at 65K. It's a known problem. It would seem to me if the dealer determines this is a problem with driveability etc, this should be rectified on their dime as you're still well within the warranty time and mileage guidelines...

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
those are late oil changes!
5k miles then change

If your fully stock, it should be covered. My dads Audi got it at 70,000KM and it had carbon build up, dealer covered it.

Geofux

Ready to race!
I'd see if they can at least give you a bit of a deal or see if VWoA will step up the plate and goodwill it. Keep records of everything and it will always help you in the long run if you have the same issue in the future.

None of your previous repairs sound like they should affect the carbon build-up..

I didn't notice if you mentioned, or were asked before, but do you idle your car a lot?

haymest

From a purely practical standpoint they say it will keep my "Check Engine" light on if I don't have it done. That means I can't pass inspection here in Texas.

That alone seems to indicate to me that is should be covered by warranty unless I did something wrong. Thanks for the info on the Audis. I think VW should do the same if this is a known issue with this engine.