GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's Review of 42DD's Golf R FSI Intake

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Well this is the 4th intake I've tried on my R (I've had CTS, Carbonio, and VWR). What attracted me to this intake was the fact that it uses elliptical MAF housing like the OEM intake and that would keep fuel trims in check. It does. What I first noticed when I unboxed the intake was the quality craftsmanship in the machining and welding of the parts. The second thing I noticed was how heavy 3" stainless steel tubing was. I didn't weigh it but the tubing itself was probably twice the weight of the entire VWR intake. This made me appreciate the lightweight design of the VWR intake. The VWR intake, although plagued with fitment issues (and some fuel trim issues) was clearly designed with weight savings in mind and they nailed that part. In any case, I'm not worried about shaving tenths of a second off 1/4 mile times so that's not a big deal to me, just thought it was worth pointing out. Lastly, the filter is HUGE. It's probably twice the size of the CTS filter and the diameter of the wide end is probably almost as wide as the cannister that houses the VWR filter. It's big. It also came preinstalled connected to the heat shield.

The kit didn't come with any instructions but with a little guess work things were pretty straight forward. I don't have a garage/tools so I went to another forums members house to put this bad boy in. After the unboxing, we realized that this intake doesn't come with a turbo inlet as it uses OEM. Although I don't think that's a bad thing, I had to facepalm myself for forgetting to bring it. So I went back home to grab it and, interestingly enough, found a CW R to play with on Rt 22 near Bethlehem. Anyway, with all the necessary parts the install began. Two things to note are that 1.) the stock spring clamp on the turbo inlet is a bitch and I recommend replacing it with a screw band clamp if you have one laying around and 2.) connect the tubing to the heat shield before installing either (we couldn't get to fit any other way). Here she sits:

^note, I was so impressed with the quality of the work of 42dd that I ordered their catch can and, wow, those guys do make quality parts!

With the 3" tubing and house sized cone filter, this intake is not on the quiet side. It does sound nice. Real nice. Although I do like the way the VWR sounds a bit better as it seemed to me that you could hear more of the turbo and DV doing their job. The 42dd has a deeper tone to it. I should also note the deep rich purring sound comes out of the intake at idle (but that may be due to the catch can as I didn't notice it until after that was installed).

I wish I had some logs to post and I will get to that eventually as the NE winter isn't ideal or safe for data logging.

Now, the intake isn't completely trouble free. During install we noted that the tubing was real close to the engine. I mean real close. We decided to put a washer under the screw that holds the heat shield down thinking that it may raise things a bit to prevent rubbing (actually more like banging). I don't think that helped much. Here is a pic of what I mean:

We put a thin piece of 3M padding on the tube where the tubing would bang against the engine and after a week of driving the padding was completely shredded at the point of contact. The good news is that I don't really hear it banging while driving. Right now i have a small piece I cut from a spare hose resting securely in the contact spot:

There is so much good about this intake and 42DD did a lot of things right but this really doesn't sit well with me. At least with VWR fitment issues you could cut/move hoses around. In this case, there is nothing to move! It's a fault too big for me to let go. I will probably be writing a similar review for the newly released Unitronic intake in the spring or putting the VWR back on. I'll update this review if 42DD has a fix.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
Why is it I KNOW you're gonna run the new Unitronic come spring time? :lol:

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to review this one Dude.

Davespence20

Ready to race!
42dd does make good stuff! I'd like to see them make a "stage 2" piece too

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
The dude abides with a 42dd review.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Nice looking intake, shame about the slight fitment issue there.

For the spring clamp, I know what you mean. I spent a good 3 hours cursing at mine one day when I decided to take off the turbo inlet coupler to clean the oil from the PCV valve.

You need a pair of cable spring clamp pliers:

Trinite77871

Passed Driver's Ed
I used a pair of Chanel locks I think it took me like 1/2 hour 45 mins to do the intake once I got the engine cover off

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
That fucking stock clamp is a bitch it's really almost not worth fucking with without the spring clamp tool.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Thx for the write up :thumbsup:
I find it interesting that this uses the OEM inlet mated to an oblong MAF housing. Did you log your fuel trims?? and how do you find the car running?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Thx for the write up :thumbsup:
I find it interesting that this uses the OEM inlet mated to an oblong MAF housing. Did you log your fuel trims?? and how do you find the car running?

Sorry, didn't get back right away. Yes, fuel trims were checked last week and weren't too pretty. I suspected this as the car wasn't running crisp.

Thanks to Brad, who has a stellar garage and a fine stage 2+ R in deep black metallic, I had a chance to play with the intake a bit last night.

Two major things:
1.) I had a leak at the turbo inlet (probably the source of the high trims).
2.) You cannot just move it over. It's just naaaaaaaaaahgonnahappen (yes, I shamelessly stole this terminology:D).

Regarding #1, this is clearly not 42DD's fault, at least directly... indirectly, maybe. It is the OEM piece that was leaking at the turbo. We pulled the two rubber pieces apart and wiped them down and inspected them and noted a tiny bit of warping. Nothing to be done about that. All we could do is very tightly secure it back on and hope. The R did drive better after that but I feel like I'm 1 hard pull away from leaking again. These stock parts do not inspire confidence.

Regarding #2, playing with the silicone connection doesn't do anything as the stock piece that ultimately supports it is flexible and will be displaced by the amount you move the hose down. The pipe/heatshield is a solid 30 lbs (well, maybe closer to 25 but who is counting) that sits on two grommets and is screwed in tight to the screw near the battery. There is zero side-to-side play with that design.
The best we could do was to put 4 or five washers under the screw that holds the heat shield down. This raised it up a bit and gave me about a 1/4 inch clearance vs 1-2mm.

Last edited: