GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Negotiating 2012 GTI price

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, new to the forums, but that's a good thing since I am in the market for a GTI! pretty excited since i found one close by..

i just need some help as far as the negotiating goes

So i found a 6 spd 4 dr 2012 base GTI with 27k Miles for $21,980. It's close by here in town. I am thinking about making an offer for $19k..

Reason being, there are 2 GTI's about 200 miles away. One is a 2013 with 16k miles for $20,995. Another is also a 2013 with 8k miles going for $20,998.

being that those cars can be had for that amount, and they're a year newer, have noticeably less miles, is 19k a fair offer, or you think i should even go further lower? I do know that the tires will need to be replaced, and you can't just put any tires on a GTI..performance tires are pricey, so maybe taking that into consideration, should i offer $18.5k?

any help and pointers would be appreciated! thanks!!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
base model 2012 for $22k!? Must be a dealer. I'd offer $17k hoping to end up at 19k in the end. Remember you will offer 17, then they will cry the blues and say umm, 21.5.. then you get smug and say, haha no thanks and start to walk away and say there are better deals to be had. They will go 21.. Now say you will maybe THINK about coming up to 18.5 if thye treat you real nice. They will give it a tough sell at 20.5. Again threaten to leave and say 19k bottom line. Do it or no sale. They will continue to fight you. Stay strong. Don't go above 19k (maybe 19.5 if they replace the tires for you, lol)..

Welcome to bartering for cars. It sucks but it can be fun if you go in with a plan.

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you DSGVW, i didn't think about that. so I will probably offer lower than 19 in hopes of landing at 19. Oh and you're right, it is a dealer..and from the brief convo i had with the sales guy, he was willing to come down to 20.5 right away. i think 19 is definitely feasible..i wanted to see if i was being realistic in wanting it to be lower than 19 even ha

thanks again!

Pfaff

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently paid 19k for a 2012 6 speed base with 34,xxx miles. The only reason I didn't try to get it for less is they were giving me a really good price for my trade-in. Like 2,500 over KBB as long as I left the aftermarket wheels and 33" tires on it.

19,000 is a realisitic number.

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently paid 19k for a 2012 6 speed base with 34,xxx miles. The only reason I didn't try to get it for less is they were giving me a really good price for my trade-in. Like 2,500 over KBB as long as I left the aftermarket wheels and 33" tires on it.

19,000 is a realisitic number.

how do you like it? i know im asking the obvious, but any concerns with your 12? anything you missed in hindsight?

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Start low around/below 17, thats a ton of miles. Tell them 18K including everything. They will still be making a bank on the transaction.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I'm gonna be a small voice of reason here.......why not go offer $19k on the 2013 with only 8k miles? It's already priced lower so the target price is closer and it's a much better deal. Is it a shitty color like silver or something?

Am I the only one that would drive 200 miles to get a newer car with considerably less miles on it for the same price? LOL

Pfaff

Passed Driver's Ed
how do you like it? i know im asking the obvious, but any concerns with your 12? anything you missed in hindsight?

I like it a lot. I always had "tuner" cars until I gave up my 2008 Chevy HHR SS for a 2010 Wrangler. I saw the GTI on the lot and bought it on the spot. It has a few cosmetic problems but nothing I can't fix myself. I was lucky enough to accidentally get an APR carbonio and Stage 1 with the car...

I didn't realize how much I missed shifting gears and feeling a turbo kick in until I test drove the GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm gonna be a small voice of reason here.......why not go offer $19k on the 2013 with only 8k miles? It's already priced lower so the target price is closer and it's a much better deal. Is it a shitty color like silver or something?

Am I the only one that would drive 200 miles to get a newer car with considerably less miles on it for the same price? LOL
actually it is white, love me that white ha, and i dont have a problem driving 200 miles to get it. its just, if i can have this one for 18k..oh and its carbon steel grey or whatever that color is.

but you think 19k would be a reasonable offer for the '13? even though the blue book is 20.9k?

DeathMoJo1

Ready to race!
actually it is white, love me that white ha, and i dont have a problem driving 200 miles to get it. its just, if i can have this one for 18k..oh and its carbon steel grey or whatever that color is.

but you think 19k would be a reasonable offer for the '13? even though the blue book is 20.9k?
If it is only a grand difference really depends on how long you plan to keep it and of color is that big a deal. I bought my in Candy White because it was what I wanted. A grand more would not impact it much as I plan to keep this car an extended period of time.

Sent from LG G2 via Tapatalk

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
well, the numbers way too far apart. haha the guy tried telling me he had 19.3k in the car so he couldn't go lower. HA..its cool though, i like White better anyway..soon enough

thanks everyone for your help & suggestions!

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
for the prices you quoted on the newer models I would go that route. lower miles more warranty left. to get them down to 18.5k you will probably need to be in the dealership for a few hours. they don't just lay down and give away 3500.00. some dealerships pay too much when they take a car in on trade. are the prices on the newer models firm? if not, see if you can work down and not have to worry about coming out of pocket for tires and such.

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea SweetJones, it hit me while i was sitting there negotiating. why not just get the newer with less miles and more warranty AND its the color i want! and they're asking for 20.9. i'll be satisfied with 19.9 honestly. hell even 20. considering only 15k miles, i'd assume the tires should have good amount of tread left. thank you!

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
I got my 2010 6spd last year for 17k with 47k miles. At the time I wouldn't say I over paid, all the other GTI's I was looking at were about 3k more expensive with only like 5k miles less which to me wasn't worth it. Doesn't matter how cheap you pay, chances are after you buy, a cheaper one will pop up lol just go with what you can afford and what meets your "wants" the most.