GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinion: 2012 GTI Autobahn w/EVERYTHING

pjd2011

Passed Driver's Ed
My MKIV 2.Slow is finally giving out on me after 17 years so I've been looking for an upgrade. I think I may have found it. Drove an hour north to a dealer in Indiana and found a fully loaded Grey GTI Autobahn. Nav, Sun Roof, DSG, Leather (oh my!), Xenon Lights, DynaAudio. Tried a 2013 GLI but was underwhelmed. Stepped in this and fell in absolute love.

List price is 19,995 at 45k miles and great condition coming off a 3 year lease. I was only able to get them down to $19,300 on the car, though. They fired back and said this could be out the door asap and that it's the only one within 500 miles. The latter of which I can definitely confirm. Only a $200 doc fee.

I definitely believe that I can't find one this high spec'd. Been looking forever! The question is whether I'm getting my moneys worth.

Last edited:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
The pics don't come up, but anyways, it's really up to you whether it's worth it. Just for a rough comparison, I bought my '12 Autobahn (albeit 2 door/manual) in June for $23,700. Mine was also off lease, with only 24k miles and was CPO. The question is how much does the scarcity really matter to you? I don't know if your car is a CPO, but that does have some value. If you don't want to travel, you really don't have many choices. If you're willing to take a bit of a trip, you may be able to get a better deal.

On the one you're looking at, I would check to see if all services have been done (particularly DSG at 40k, as sometimes when people lease they neglect expensive services since the car is going back), whether it's had a water pump replaced, etc. If it really is clean, then the mileage isn't terrible. But I would definitely be careful. I know someone who bought a MK6 with 3k miles, CPO (when it was only a year old), and it ended up having issues because it had been repaired from a side collision that didn't come up on the carfax.

I am a 2012 ATB owner. Paid roughly $30k OTD incl tint for mine brand-new and would pay a grand more if I had to.

It has exceeeded all my expectations. The car is in demand (chk NADA wholesale averages), and if you love it already, you'll love it even more later.

The Dynaudio is brilliant, the leather is excellent, the aluminum is real, the doors in the back are soft touch, the wheels are easy to clean and have aged well.

The car goes quicker with a set of sticky rubber and can almost equal an mk7's 0-60 times with said summer rubber.

Get a 2016 GTI ATB for $31k... or buy this one for $19k...

I'd say $19,500 is good if you can get a cpo warranty; those are golden with a $50-$100 deductible.

Last edited:

pjd2011

Passed Driver's Ed
I would check to see if all services have been done (particularly DSG at 40k, as sometimes when people lease they neglect expensive services since the car is going back), whether it's had a water pump replaced, etc.

Working through trying to get myself on the recent college grad program. Since they're working on this I'm going to have them get me more thorough repair information. All I have related to DSG is the CarFax that they did the servicing for 40k miles.

The dealer's inspection group changed out quite a bit so I'd assume they would have gotten to it. Definitely checking into it.

I'd say $19,500 is good if you can get a cpo warranty; those are golden with a $50-$100 deductible.

I can't get CPO due to the outstanding airbag/steering column recall. Another reason this is a bit lower. It's also why I'm having trouble getting into the college grad finance program.

$19,000 out the door... no extended warranty

Working through trying to get myself on the recent college grad program. Since they're working on this I'm going to have them get me more thorough repair information. All I have related to DSG is the CarFax that they did the servicing for 40k miles.

The dealer's inspection group changed out quite a bit so I'd assume they would have gotten to it. Definitely checking into it.

I can't get CPO due to the outstanding airbag/steering column recall. Another reason this is a bit lower. It's also why I'm having trouble getting into the college grad finance program.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion

I'm not sure I understand why VW having an open recall would prevent CPO certification. That sounds odd to me. Under that thinking, there isn't a single CPO GTI in the country right now? Not a chance.

Be aware with the College Grad program as well. I don't remember exactly why, but I didn't qualify for it even though I graduated this past May. I bought my car over the Summer. There are definitely some funky terms in there, so I would ask to see all the paperwork and restrictions. But why would the clock spring prevent you from getting financing? Or are you saying they won't finance you because it's not CPO?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
That's not the ~best~ price, but if you really like the car I think you'd be happy if you decided to get it. The DSG is very reliable and holds up to tuning without issue.

I say get it if you can't find a similarly equipped car in the area for a better price.

Only reservation I'd say to check on is whether this car has had a history of water pump replacements. It seems that the ones that make it to 40k+ without a pump replaced can just keep going without needing one replaced.

Good luck!

Edit: Didn't see no CPO. That's complete bullshit. Call VWoA and explain that you want this car and you want it certified. They'll make things right. With the bad press of late, this would be the perfect opportunity for the brand to increase customer satisfaction at minimal cost to themselves.

pjd2011

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure I understand why VW having an open recall would prevent CPO certification. That sounds odd to me. Under that thinking, there isn't a single CPO GTI in the country right now? Not a chance.

Be aware with the College Grad program as well. I don't remember exactly why, but I didn't qualify for it even though I graduated this past May. I bought my car over the Summer. There are definitely some funky terms in there, so I would ask to see all the paperwork and restrictions. But why would the clock spring prevent you from getting financing? Or are you saying they won't finance you because it's not CPO?

I couldn't get financed under the program because it is not CPO. I don't start work until January so it presented an issue.

In regards to them not doing CPO from the recall...

Edit: Didn't see no CPO. That's complete bullshit. Call VWoA and explain that you want this car and you want it certified. They'll make things right. With the bad press of late, this would be the perfect opportunity for the brand to increase customer satisfaction at minimal cost to themselves.

Great idea! Doing this now. Already have sat through 10 minutes of diesel talk...

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I couldn't get financed under the program because it is not CPO. I don't start work until January so it presented an issue.

In regards to them not doing CPO from the recall...

Great idea! Doing this now. Already have sat through 10 minutes of diesel talk...

Yeah absolutely call them, and let VWoA know what's going on. The only issue is that they may say it's the dealer's choice not to CPO the car, and if you want it CPO'd, you'll have to pay for the inspection process. I've had dealers quote me in the ballpark of $500 for that process, but I would say it's worth having if not just for water pumps alone.

pjd2011

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got around to talking to someone and she did confirm that a dealer cannot CPO a vehicle with an outstanding recall. If the car was CPO'd before the recall it retains the status.

Is the water pump not covered under the drivetrain warranty? I still have 2 years and 15k miles on that.

water pump will be covered by a long-term extended warranty. I wouldn't worry about the water pump. VW will take care of all those issues up until 100k at least.
We have an extended warranty on our intake manifolds as well.

The clock spring in the steering column will also be covered for a long long time.

Last edited:
OP:

Get it already.

New tires? What brand?>

ASk dealership for maintenance records. They should keep all that.

Last edited:

ClaytonBrown

Ready to race!
I wont venture to say whether or not it is a good deal only because i'm fairly certain I beat the crap out of the dealer when I got my car and I know I got a great deal. That said: Two months ago I purchased a 2013 GTI autobahn with all the goodies with 21k miles and paid 22k out the door (21,874.67 to be exact). I got up to walk out 3 times and used the VW bad press story that had just broke the day before to my advantage. All that said tho the sticker price was at 24,900. I too had to drive a ways to get her, almost 2 hours south of where I live. Well worth it though.

Misshe11

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I am new here, but I can add a reference. I just bought a 2013 red 48k GTI with everything (all the stuff above, autobahn, dig, nav, etc) and it was CPO 2 years/24k miles here in Chicagoland.

Price was $17690 (about 19k+ with taxes and title and stuff). It seemed like a good deal?

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Price was $17690 (about 19k+ with taxes and title and stuff). It seemed like a good deal?

You picked up a CPO Autobahn with only 24k miles for a little more than $19 OTD? That's a damn good deal. I take it the original 3yrs/36k is still running and then you'll have the CPO Limited Warranty?

Last edited: