GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud screeching noise from engine bay

ChefT

Ready to race!
Most likely it's the throw out leaking onto the clutch plate hopefully you're still under warranty bc the dealership will replace clutch and flywheel for free. If you're out of warranted you're looking at a $2500 bill. Gl.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Most likely it's the throw out leaking onto the clutch plate hopefully you're still under warranty bc the dealership will replace clutch and flywheel for free. If you're out of warranted you're looking at a $2500 bill. Gl.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This is a different sound/feel and would typically be followed by loss clutch feel. If you've had the noise that this broken stud and gasket cause you'll know it's different than a squeaky throwout bearing, boost, vacuum or intake leak. I though it was different from the start when I started chasing it just had no idea an "exhaust leak" could have a high pitched whistle. Have chased down a few exhaust leaks on naturally aspirated cars and motorcycles and this is nothing like that, the back pressure from the small turbine wheel causes this noise while the hot exhaust blows out between the head and the turbo manifold. The noise comes and goes completely randomly as the motor and exhaust manifold heat and cool

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Unfortunately, I've been experiencing the same screeching/squealing noise under boost and on cold start up. I went through the usual stuff: new PCV, Rev D DV, checked for boost leaks, etc. Eventually, I came across this thread and decided to check for an exhaust manifold leak today. Just to reiterate, the 6mm plug that holds the heat shield is a pain. Was able to remove it after fighting with it for a while, but it's definitely not going back in. Removal of the heat shield revealed what appears to be a leak from the driver side exhaust port.

In my case, the exhaust manifold bolt is still in place, but the gasket is leaking slightly. I've returned my car to stock at the moment and I have 3k miles left on the factory warranty... wondering if I'd have any luck getting it repaired by the dealer. My other thought is just to replace the gasket myself and install a downpipe while I have things apart.
Also wondering if this is a common or repeat issue with the TSI? Mine blew in the same place that other's did.

Seems strange to have blown an exhaust manifold gasket this early in mileage.

Ronnie

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
That stud is most likely snapped inside the block. If you have warranty remaining, I would try that route. Always seems to be that stud too.

I decided not to touch the stud/nut until I figure out if the warranty will cover it. I hope you're wrong, but my luck you're probably right that it's snapped. If it is snapped, I can't see there being enough room to get in there to extract it. Pulling the engine has got to be the only way unless you have a right angle drill and a lot of luck.

Is there any particular reason these studs are breaking? It seems this isn't an isolated incident.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
I had a guy named Bob the extractor from LA come down to San Diego for $800 to drill it out without removing anything but the turbo. Used some kind of pneumatic angle drill with abrasive bits. My only guess why it's that specific stud is temperature differences across the block or manifold. Some parts get hotter or cool/heat quicker. Over time it weakens.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I decided not to touch the stud/nut until I figure out if the warranty will cover it. I hope you're wrong, but my luck you're probably right that it's snapped. If it is snapped, I can't see there being enough room to get in there to extract it. Pulling the engine has got to be the only way unless you have a right angle drill and a lot of luck.

Is there any particular reason these studs are breaking? It seems this isn't an isolated incident.

Mine appeared the same upon visual inspection. Really not sure why these break. Mine hasn't broken again.

It required pulling the motor to remove in my case, had a right angle drill, and tried a few different methods patiently with no luck while the motor was in. No specialty guys I could find in a quick search online like Geryon86 was able to. It's emissions related so you may be able to get it done under warranty without much hassle.

You know what's broken, I know tech's don't like being told what to fix, but be persistent with them, even pay the diagnostic fee, but make sure they check it. Don't let them try and bullshit you.

Keep us updated, curious what the dealer and/or techs will say

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this useful older thread for a question and guidance:

What's the easiest way to get a look at the exhaust manifold to check for signs of a leak and or bad gasket. Don't have use of a garage anymore so hope to jack it up in a parking lot and spend as little time as possible searching around.

Also, has anyone since been able to get VW to warranty repair their broken stud? Sounds like a labor intensive repair. I'm out of the normal warranty period but per an earlier post in this thread, it sounds like it could be covered pre-150K miles per PZEV rules in California. If so, I'd appreciate any guidance or script to use when I call for an appointment. My car is a 2012 with 70K so I'll likely have to work a bit harder to get this covered by a dealer.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

What's the easiest way to get a look at the exhaust manifold to check for signs of a leak and or bad gasket. Don't have use of a garage anymore so hope to jack it up in a parking lot and spend as little time as possible searching around.

Also, has anyone since been able to get VW to warranty repair their broken stud? Sounds like a labor intensive repair. I'm out of the normal warranty period but per an earlier post in this thread, it sounds like it could be covered pre-150K miles per PZEV rules in California. If so, I'd appreciate any guidance or script to use when I call for an appointment. My car is a 2012 with 70K so I'll likely have to work a bit harder to get this covered by a dealer.

The easiest way I can recommend is to look from the top side with an inspection mirror. You will have to remove the turbo inlet pipe and the manifold heat shield. Be advised, the middle bolt holding the heat shield is a pain.

Fortunately, when my bolt broke there was still enough material left to remove it from the head.

I don't believe this will be covered by the PZEV emission warranty, I checked last year and it didn't qualify unfortunately.

nevekd128

Ready to race!

get an inspection mirror from harbor freight and maneuver the mirror to see the exhaust manifold studs. it will make it easier to remove the intake piping. Also with a cool engine, reach back and feel if any of the tabs on the gasket are missing. Mine would whine and hiss for about 2 minutes and go away completely. The stud completely snapped leaving half the shank in the head. a local vw porsche indy shop was about to replace it and install my franken turbo without pulling the engine. the

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
http://http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/levprog/levii/regordr.pdf

Read Title 13 Section 1962. The dealer and/or volkswagon MUST repair any emission related defects if your car has less then 150,000 miles or is less than 10 years old. I would raise them hell if I were you.

^ that's the member who sounds like he was able to get a dealer to warranty the replacement using the PZEV warranty.

The easiest way I can recommend is to look from the top side with an inspection mirror. You will have to remove the turbo inlet pipe and the manifold heat shield. Be advised, the middle bolt holding the heat shield is a pain.

Fortunately, when my bolt broke there was still enough material left to remove it from the head.

I don't believe this will be covered by the PZEV emission warranty, I checked last year and it didn't qualify unfortunately.

See above. Hoping you're wrong and the other guy is right :) Either way, thanks for the tips on trying to visually confirm the leak.

get an inspection mirror from harbor freight and maneuver the mirror to see the exhaust manifold studs. it will make it easier to remove the intake piping. Also with a cool engine, reach back and feel if any of the tabs on the gasket are missing. Mine would whine and hiss for about 2 minutes and go away completely. The stud completely snapped leaving half the shank in the head. a local vw porsche indy shop was about to replace it and install my franken turbo without pulling the engine. the

Mine doesn't go away no matter how hard I drive or warm the engine up. If the dealer attempt falls through I'll try some local shops or home garage techs to save some $.

What do you guys think about whether this needs to be immediately repaired or not? I have popped a few o2 related CEL's randomly that have gone away and come back randomly without any fix on my end. Would the escaping exhaust gases melt or damage anything in that area?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
^ that's the member who sounds like he was able to get a dealer to warranty the replacement using the PZEV warranty.

See above. Hoping you're wrong and the other guy is right :) Either way, thanks for the tips on trying to visually confirm the leak.

Mine doesn't go away no matter how hard I drive or warm the engine up. If the dealer attempt falls through I'll try some local shops or home garage techs to save some $.

What do you guys think about whether this needs to be immediately repaired or not? I have popped a few o2 related CEL's randomly that have gone away and come back randomly without any fix on my end. Would the escaping exhaust gases melt or damage anything in that area?

The exhaust leak will eventually completely burn through the manifold gasket, which can eventually cause damage to the cylinder head. It's something you will want to have fixed, trust me.

I would fight like hell to have it covered under the PZEV warranty. Mine was still under the extended factory warranty, so they covered it. They actually went ahead and replaced the entire turbo because they claimed the exhaust manifold was "damaged".