GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone go to a GTI from a 335?

P

plac

Yes. I have a loaded 2007 328i and am disappointed as to its bloated mass. Yes, it is rock-solid and totally trouble-free.

My latest brain storm involves selling my wife's 2008 Rabbit and replacing it with a 2011 GTI Autobahn, DSG, 4 door. This way I get to keep my 328i; the wife gets a big upgrade and I get to drive both, some of the time.

By the way, this plan has used up all the brain power I could possibly muster.:laugh:

i love thinking up car buying schemes in my head. its like my favorite thing to do.

hpowders

Ready to race!
i love thinking up car buying schemes in my head. its like my favorite thing to do.

I could write a book. All I need is Jay Leno's money to make all my complicated schemes come true.:laugh:

sdecker

Passed Driver's Ed
I find this thread gratifying. A year ago I was going back and forth between the VW and BMW dealer, putting a couple hundred solo test miles on GTIs and various flavors of 1 and 3 series. Even though my car budget was $50K, I spent half that for the GTI.

Aside from straight line speed, a firm brake pedal, truly great seats (in the sport pkg), and an excess of luxo-trim (in the 3), I still don't think I gave up much of anything more buying the GTI. Except the likelihood of constant repairs for BMW being too clever and technical for their own good, and a certain snobiness (status?) of the ownership experience. But I do wince with 'what might have been' every time I see a late-model 3 coupe drive by, one of the most attractive all-around semi-affordable cars on the market IMO. The 1s, uh, not so much...

For half the price, I don't have much to complain about: nearly-equal street driving dynamics, a much better stereo, near-equal interior quality, punchy-enough engine and short gearing for the real world, hatchback versatility, more interior space, no 'status' issues, and useful standard features and technology w/o excess bells & whistles.