GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Louding Hissing on acceleration

///Audience

Ready to race!
I've recently (since going stage 1+ uni) noticed a loud hissing sound upon acceleration. It seems to do it more often when the car is warmed up. I would say the sound is somewhere in between a pissed off snake and bacon sizzling. It's a smooth sound until I get to 3krpm and it starts to flutter. Once I let off the pedal, I get a loud 'whoosh' and it stops until I accelerate again.

I have a 2013 GTI w/ 2k miles. No other mods besides Unitronic tune.

Does this sound like a DV issue?

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
I've recently (since going stage 1+ uni) noticed a loud hissing sound upon acceleration. It seems to do it more often when the car is warmed up. I would say the sound is somewhere in between a pissed off snake and bacon sizzling. It's a smooth sound until I get to 3krpm and it starts to flutter. Once I let off the pedal, I get a loud 'whoosh' and it stops until I accelerate again.

its the dv doing its job. turbo spooling and the flutter is when you hit peak boost and you are actually boosting higher than requested so the oem valve bleeds some pressure to meet what the ecu is requesting which is set by the tune.

///Audience

Ready to race!
its the dv doing its job. turbo spooling and the flutter is when you hit peak boost and you are actually boosting higher than requested so the oem valve bleeds some pressure to meet what the ecu is requesting which is set by the tune.

Thanks for the info! Ive heard BOV's before (this is my first non-NA vehicle) but this sounded different. Perhaps a bit raspier than I was expecting spool up to sound like. I really want to get a boost gauge so I can make sure im not loosing pressure anywhere.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info! Ive heard BOV's before (this is my first non-NA vehicle) but this sounded different. Perhaps a bit raspier than I was expecting spool up to sound like. I really want to get a boost gauge so I can make sure im not loosing pressure anywhere.

When do you get your boost gauge, dont be alarmed that the boost will fall off the higher you go in the rpms. The turbos simply cant flow high pressures at high rpm due to their size.

So, you'll see it spike to say 19 psi, it will level out to 17-18 psi and it will gradually fall to under 10 by redline. this is normal. the larger the turbo, the longer the boost can hold in the upper rpms.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Normal turbo sounds.

4DcWMk6

Ready to race!

i have a 2013 stage 1+ tune ...my oem dv now leaks...which is normal for these cars with a tune... i just got a new one ...

take a look...http://www.techsmartparts.com/Smart+Solutions-Electronic+Diverter+Valve/Content.aspx

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
You hittin Vtec yo.

Wrong forum I mean boost .