GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > Southwest

Old 04-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #715
Dave1078
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '16 GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizza View Post
Big thanks to Tyler at the Hewlett VW Service Department for working with me on getting my intake manifold replaced under warranty.

I just saw a video about the manifolds too.
Dave1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #716
alltrac
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Stg1; 2016 Sportwagen TSI
Anyone have any suggestions on places to repair / resurface rims? My wife curbed her Sportwagen and I'd like to avoid using somewhere that's super sketch.

On the upside, I had my build-your-own RSR clutch installed at Brink last week. Super happy with everything about how that went.
alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #717
rawag77
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on places to repair / resurface rims? My wife curbed her Sportwagen and I'd like to avoid using somewhere that's super sketch.

On the upside, I had my build-your-own RSR clutch installed at Brink last week. Super happy with everything about how that went.
I can ask the guy i'm working with at Berli's. I'd think they'd use a reputable place.

Nice to hear on the clutch. I'm going through the clutch decision at the moment. Did you by any chance talk to Brink about installing an LSD?
rawag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #718
alltrac
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawag77 View Post
I can ask the guy i'm working with at Berli's. I'd think they'd use a reputable place.

Nice to hear on the clutch. I'm going through the clutch decision at the moment. Did you by any chance talk to Brink about installing an LSD?
Awesome, much appreciated.

I didn't ask about a LSD - I considered it, but I had a pile of clutch parts hanging out and I knew they'd be there forever if I waited around for that. Unfortunately, the flywheel had to be replaced on mine so I'd advise budgeting that into whatever you do.

If you do the RSR-setup and don't already have one, install a short shifter. Perfectly matched clutch engagement and shifter feel - I ordered one two days after the clutch was done and did it in my garage.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #719
rawag77
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac View Post
Awesome, much appreciated.

I didn't ask about a LSD - I considered it, but I had a pile of clutch parts hanging out and I knew they'd be there forever if I waited around for that. Unfortunately, the flywheel had to be replaced on mine so I'd advise budgeting that into whatever you do.

If you do the RSR-setup and don't already have one, install a short shifter. Perfectly matched clutch engagement and shifter feel - I ordered one two days after the clutch was done and did it in my garage.
I figured if i'm paying for the labor, might as well do it all at the same time. I'm not slipping yet so i have a little time.

Yeah, I was assuming that i'd have to replace mine. I commute up and down 35/mopac.

Did you go with the DieselGeek?

If you don't mind sharing, where'd you source all of your RSR parts?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #720
alltrac
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawag77 View Post
I figured if i'm paying for the labor, might as well do it all at the same time. I'm not slipping yet so i have a little time.
I had that same logic - if I did any track use for the car I would have.
Quote:
Did you go with the DieselGeek?
I did, and it was generally easy to install and seemed high quality. Ordered at 1p on Wednesday and it was here on Thursday. They even used those water soluble packing peanuts.
Quote:
If you don't mind sharing, where'd you source all of your RSR parts?
Sure! I got:
  • Clutch Disc - Four Season Tuning - Sachs / VW Part # 03G-141-031-T (I believe it comes from a Euro TDI or VR6)
  • Pressure Plate - Deutsche Auto Parts - Audi/VW Part # 07K-141-015-BX - Audi TT-RS pressure plate and clutch disc. The clutch disc doesn't work, so sell it or get rid of it, whatever.
  • TOB - 1st VW Parts - 0A5-141-671-F
  • Misc Bolts - Just pull those from the RSR page and go to the dealer or order them with your TOB.
  • Fluid - Picked up at Maund to avoid shipping since it's less than a mile from my house.
  • Flywheel - I can look up the part #, but it was just the regular VW part. It was super expensive ($550+tax). There's also the Luk one that many have used, but there were a couple questions on whether it's the same FW that gave a bunch of failures on the MK V's some time back. RockAuto also has one for about $450, but I wasn't absolutely, 100% sure that it was correct. Ultimately, the extra cash I spent is insurance that the part is OEM and correct.

I'm sure it's possible to assemble a cheaper kit, but I have the benefit of knowing what parts I need if I have to replace one again (rather than a 'complete set' for the RSR), it's like stock but much firmer, and no noise/chatter/etc.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #721
rawag77
Touring Car Champion

Awesome! Thanks for the list.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #722
OddParticle
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 GTI MkVI CSG MT
Non-dealer service?

Hi, all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so feel free to remove or move.

I'm looking for a good, VW service location for regular maintenance in the Austin area.

Anyone have any good experiences? Preferably in the South Austin area?

Thanks!
OddParticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #723
alltrac
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddParticle View Post
Hi, all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, so feel free to remove or move.

I'm looking for a good, VW service location for regular maintenance in the Austin area.

Anyone have any good experiences? Preferably in the South Austin area?

Thanks!
Brink on N. Lamar. Happy with the job they did on my clutch. Haven't used them for more routine work but it looks like they do it.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #724
alltrac
Drag Race Newbie

So is anyone going to the Lone Star Euro Fest at COTA on the 18th (https://www.facebook.com/events/162055364188134/)? Looks like it could be interesting.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #725
cantdrive55
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 VW GTI Sunroof & Nav
Send a message via AIM to cantdrive55
Sold my GTI back in April and have some parts left over that I'm looking to get rid of. All in great shape and ready to go. Let me know if you have questions or are interested. I'm in Leander but work down near 183/MLK.

ModShack Intake - $225 OBO
http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/5681189694.html

Dark Cherry LED Tails - $325 OBO - SOLD

18" Detroit Wheels - $750 OBO
http://austin.craigslist.org/wto/5681152658.html

Last edited by cantdrive55; 07-26-2016 at 10:31 PM.
cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #726
Totally_Stock_Except
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Mk6 DSG CW blk roof
Anybody in Austin area have the fuel injector rebuild tool kit available to borrow or rent? I'm doing my water pump in the driveway soon, figure I better be ready for possible injector work too! I do have the bronze bushing tool I can lend out FWIW, love what they and the Stop Tech rotors and lines did for my pedal feel!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Totally_Stock_Except is offline   Reply With Quote