GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NLS Short Shifter Review...

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
So today i installed my NLS short shifter. What a PIA it was to get the original shifter off. I also changed my shifter bracket bushings. I noticed while putting re-aligning the shifter my linkage is not completely in and when it is i got to push down to get into first. Its fine now after messing with it a bit but not sure if thats how its supposed to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE

Any how. The shifts feel great. Feels like a totally different transmission. Very crisp shifts and the throw is reduced by night and day. It feels very close to a mustang GT with a short shifter. It almost clicks in place. These are the bushings i replaced. Later down the road i will get the 42DD bushings. For now this is it.
http://shop.verdictmotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=110&categoryId=13

jgs5607

Ready to race!
That is one mod I really think would help make driving the car more enjoyable. I will have to look up where to buy the shifter itself.

The bushing will take slop out; does it add a lot of vibration that you can notice?

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
I fixed the little issue i was having and its like butter now. Feels amazing. Shifting from 1-2 is no prob.

Bushings added to the shifting mechanism will not affect vibration once so ever.

You have the GTI i think there is a different brand who makes the shifter for it similar to the NLS. Nuespeed i think...

VWghost26

Ready to race!
where did you order the nls shifter? I can't seem to track down a site. I was looking at the vf engineering and looking at forge but I can't find our car on the forge site. But the nls looks nicely made

DaWoLF

Ready to race!
where did you order the nls shifter? I can't seem to track down a site. I was looking at the vf engineering and looking at forge but I can't find our car on the forge site. But the nls looks nicely made

ebay, their 100 bucks plus shipping but its not for GTI's. Its only for 5 speed trannys. Sucks for us GTI owners but what can ya do lol But i think your ok.

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Definately my next mod. As long as it has close to stock smoothness. I'd rather not sacrifice driveability for having a shorter throw.

VWghost26

Ready to race!
I hear that the dieselgeek shifters are really nice quality and reduce the side to side too. But you lose the stock shifting smoothness and that it takes some getting used to to work it properly. I don't want any more effort in driving. I think any mod should make things smoother working but alot of people like the notchier / race car feel.

So where do you purchase the 42dd bushings at?

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I hear that the dieselgeek shifters are really nice quality and reduce the side to side too. But you lose the stock shifting smoothness and that it takes some getting used to to work it properly. I don't want any more effort in driving. I think any mod should make things smoother working but alot of people like the notchier / race car feel.

So where do you purchase the 42dd bushings at?

I see you are in Canada. If you are near them, H2Sport in Brampton carries them. Or you can mail order them from the source:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/

DaWoLF

Ready to race!

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Just ordered mine today.......lets hope shipping to Canada is quick. Because my Carbonio Intake is taking forever.

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Just ordered mine today.......lets hope shipping to Canada is quick. Because my Carbonio Intake is taking forever.

Are there any torque settings to follow when installing this short shifter. After the first one getting lost in the mail I just received my replacement one and i'm eager to get this on tomorrow night. Any tips before install?

VWghost26

Ready to race!
Thanks man. Quick response too.