GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used 2008 R32 vs 2011 GTI?

c0wsp0ts

Passed Driver's Ed
certified used 2008 gti r32 with 16k miles for 26k
wat do u dudes think of that or shud i wait for the 2011 gti?

quarantine

Ready to race!
Which one of the two is newer, faster, more reliable, lighter, looks gorgeous, and is covered by warranty?

Easy choice if you ask me.

generic83

lol wheel spin
Which one of the two is newer, faster, more reliable, lighter, looks gorgeous, and is covered by warranty?

Easy choice if you ask me.

well, the R32 is faster than a stock GTI, More reliable, and is covered by warranty.

The GTI is newer, lighter, and covered by warranty.

Looks, thats a personal thing.

The R32 has one of the best exhaust notes in the world, and haldex. You cannot get those in a GTI.

The GTI has more mod potential.

fastfly

Ready to race!
well, the R32 is faster than a stock GTI, More reliable, and is covered by warranty.

The GTI is newer, lighter, and covered by warranty.

Looks, thats a personal thing.

The R32 has one of the best exhaust notes in the world, and haldex. You cannot get those in a GTI.

The GTI has more mod potential.

R32 is yet to be seen as more reliable...faster? no. and its warranty is running out.

The only good thing about the R32 right now is that leases are ending and there should be a shit ton of R32s on VW lots for cheap.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
They'd have to flood the market to cheapen up -- they hold quite a premium still. The 3.2 VR6 is a fantastic engine by all accounts -- I don't know that I'd be particularly worried about the reliability, especially in stock form and compared to a 2.0T.

That's a very low mileage R32. If you like the MKV styling, All wheel drive, a VR6 and DSG, then it's a sure win.

But, it doesn't have* the raw power or potential that a 2.0T does.

Last edited:

zee

Go Kart Champion
The R32 VR6 sound can't be beat in my opinion.
Tunnel run

If you want something newer - GTI

If you want something with warranty - GTI (most likely)

If you like to row your own gears - GTI

If you want to stay Stock - R32

If you want to stay Stage I/II - GTI

If you will be going Stage III/IV - R32.

<Title edited and moved to vs>

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I would consider a R32 if it was available in a manual. If you'd rather have a manual, I'd say the R32 is out.

Both are nice cars, the differences are obvious and contrasting.

If anything I'd say the MkVI is more reliable, just being a newer generation and hopefully got all the kinks worked out of the DSG.

Edit: and yes a stock R32 is slightly faster than a stock GTI

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Seriously... R32 is just slightly faster than the MK6?

Wow! I thought the R32 would blow the doors off of a 2010 GTI.

R32 is quite a bit heavier due to V6 engine and AWD

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
I have a stage 2 mk6 GTI

and my mate had a stock R32 off the lights he gets about one car lengths ahead on me. Due to my lack of traction...

Really annoying but once i grip no chance in hell he pulls away from me i slowly catch up.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
R32 is yet to be seen as more reliable...faster? no. and its warranty is running out.

The only good thing about the R32 right now is that leases are ending and there should be a shit ton of R32s on VW lots for cheap.

The VR6 has proven itself to be an extremely reliable engine, as has the 2.0T. However; the R32 VR6 is the same while the MKVI is a new TFSI model; reliability is not yet proven from it.

As for the leases; R32s hold their value really well; among the best in the automotive market in fact. ;)

They'd have to flood the market to cheapen up -- they hold quite a premium still. The 3.2 VR6 is a fantastic engine by all accounts -- I don't know that I'd be particularly worried about the reliability, especially in stock form and compared to a 2.0T.

That's a very low mileage R32. If you like the MKV styling, All wheel drive, a VR6 and DSG, then it's a sure win.

But, it doesn't have* the raw power or potential that a 2.0T does.
Indeed; no worries at all for reliability.

but as for "the raw power or potential " a VR6 has far more potential than a 2.0 4 does. The GTI's 4 banger is a great engine and is very tuneable; but if you are going for all out potential then 3.2 liters has more than 2.0 liters. There is no replacement for displacement :yikes::D

Seriously... R32 is just slightly faster than the MK6?

Wow! I thought the R32 would blow the doors off of a 2010 GTI.

Stock to stock from a dig the R will smoke a GTI pretty handily, couple cars easy. from a roll the R's AWD becomes a disadvantage so the GTI will keep up much better, though the R will still win 9 out of 10.

Once you start tuning the R will quickly lose ground: Stage 1 GTI vs R from a dig the R will usually still win, but from a roll it will generally go to the GTI. As posted above, once you get the GTI to stage 2 the R's only lead is from the launch :p

OP: Go and test drive them both if you haven't yet. They are very different cars despite the appearances. A GTI is a beautiful machine for the price, well mannered, quick and quite enjoyable to drive; but an R32 is really just a different beast in handling, manners and feel. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about the R :thumbsup:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
lol
mk4 r32 > mk6 gti

mk6 gti > mkv r32

MKIVR32>MKVR32>MKVI GTI>MKV GTI :thumbsup:

Seriously though, as I said it depends on what you want to do with it. Want to stay pretty close to stock and just enjoy the overall feel/fun of the car? R32 wins. Want to tune immediately for more power/speed? GTI wins. Want to max out performance and have a very large budget to go crazy with? R32 absolutely wins.

Good luck deciding :thumbsup: