GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Widest tire on stock wheels:/suspension R

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
not an r and not stock

Wheels are 17x8 et47 @15.5 lbs, KW V2s at 24.75 FTG about an inch+ lower than stock, I'm running 255/40/17 Hankooks with amazing grip and slight rubbing in the rear, much less frequent rubbing in the front. Will roll and pull the front and back fenders 2-3mm to get rid of any rubbing at all, just amazing, endless grip.

whitegti6

Ready to race!
I was running 245's on Detroits, stock ride height. No rubbing at all.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
^wait until you buy a real tire.

What's wrong with a Hankook (Ventus?) tire? I have never run one, but I have never heard anything bad either.

Maybe you mean it is not as squared off as a PSS. THAT I could see.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
a lot of the "r" wheels are 18x8 et50. my karthoums were.

No they aren't (Karthoums are, most "R" wheels aren't, Karthoums didn't come stock on any Golf though).

2004 R32: Aristo; 18X7.5
2008 R32: Omanyt; 18X7.5
2012 Golf R: Talladega; 18X7.5 (at least according to all internet sources)

VW does make 18X8 wheels; Karthoums, BBS VZ, and several others. But none of them were the stock wheel on any Golf, they are available options or came OEM on a different vehicle. No Golf in MKV or MKVI, to my knowledge, comes with an 18X8 wheel stock.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
What's wrong with a Hankook (Ventus?) tire? I have never run one, but I have never heard anything bad either.

Its a budget tire, rivals the Sumitomo HTRZ3. I've had both the V12 evo and the htrz3, both very adequate summer tires.

MPSS is a much better tire.

The 200tw tires are much better still (original rivals and new rival S, Hankook RS3v2, Direzza Z2 Star Spec).

The top dog in 200 tw is the new RE-71R which is turning out to be the tire to have this year.

They make lower tread wear street tires as well.

In the scheme of summer tires, the budget ones are pitiful.

oem Talladega's are 18 x 8

Nope

Everything I've ever seen says they are 18X7.5 ET51 Just like all MKV and MKVI 18" wheels. Do you have something to show that isn't accurate?

They're 7.5.

a lot of the "r" wheels are 18x8 et50. my karthoums were.

see below

No they aren't (Karthoums are, most "R" wheels aren't, Karthoums didn't come stock on any Golf though).

2004 R32: Aristo; 18X7.5
2008 R32: Omanyt; 18X7.5
2012 Golf R: Talladega; 18X7.5 (at least according to all internet sources)

VW does make 18X8 wheels; Karthoums, BBS VZ, and several others. But none of them were the stock wheel on any Golf, they are available options or came OEM on a different vehicle. No Golf in MKV or MKVI, to my knowledge, comes with an 18X8 wheel stock.

You're correct. Only when the optional accessory wheels are fitted.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
^wait until you buy a real tire.

Its a budget tire, rivals the Sumitomo HTRZ3. I've had both the V12 evo and the htrz3, both very adequate summer tires.

MPSS is a much better tire.

The 200tw tires are much better still (original rivals and new rival S, Hankook RS3v2, Direzza Z2 Star Spec).

The top dog in 200 tw is the new RE-71R which is turning out to be the tire to have this year.

They make lower tread wear street tires as well.

In the scheme of summer tires, the budget ones are pitiful.

A good friend of mine runs a body shop and I get decent prices on the Hankooks. A set of the 255/40/17s cost me $500 out the door, and I went and mounted them and got an alignment for another $150. I priced some of the other tires you mentioned and I lol'd all the way to the bank. They may be better, but I don't think the extra cost is justified...for me. As of now the car is way more capable than I am as a driver. Any money is going to rectifying that first.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Good post, and you're exactly right.

I'm running 245/620 slicks for autocross. They make even 200tw tires seem like all season crap ;)