GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Range Guage Question

disomma

want to know if anyone else experiences this. i filled my tank yesterday to the brim, and the computer says my range is 240 miles. as i drive the car, the range rises to 270, then finally 290, before moving down again in 5 mile increments. anyone else seeing their range go up once driving after a fill up? thx

corydd

Go Kart Champion
This doesn't happen to me. When I fill up it tells me a range of about 400 miles, but in reality I only get like 330-350.

VWMat

Passed Driver's Ed
It calculates it by your current mpg. If you've been going all freeway for the trip, more miles projected. City, less.

P_m651

Ready to race!
This doesn't happen to me. When I fill up it tells me a range of about 400 miles, but in reality I only get like 330-350.

Whoa, 330-350 in San Francisco?! Impressive.

I go back and forth across the city and I hit 250. I barely get your average when I'm cruising on a long roadtrip.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
want to know if anyone else experiences this. i filled my tank yesterday to the brim, and the computer says my range is 240 miles. as i drive the car, the range rises to 270, then finally 290, before moving down again in 5 mile increments. anyone else seeing their range go up once driving after a fill up? thx

I get this all the time... The fuel station (TDI) I use is about 25 miles from my house, mostly highway, and if I fill up on the way home, it is just after several miles of back roads. If I have clear roads I'll usually push it a bit and have some fun on them so I've had some pretty interesting scenarios due to that... :D

Best one I can remember was when I was pretty low on diesel a couple weeks ago. I had a fun drive through the back roads, with distance to empty telling me I had 0 miles to go all the way (for about 10 miles). Once I fill up, my DTE tells me I have 380 miles to empty since my measured mpg was so low for the back road drive. Cruising the rest of the way home I was averaging about 52 mpg; so when I pulled into the driveway my DTE was now up to 650 miles... I almost doubled the original DTE due to the mileage improvement... :laugh:;)

mmmoose

Ready to race!
This is normal behavior. It was worse with my '08 Rabbit. In that car my "miles to empty" reading would constantly add miles if I started driving more gently than usual, or switched from city to highway driving. And anytime I went wide open throttle it would instantly drop by 5 miles. There were times where it felt like it was dropping 5 miles every minute (no, I wasn't going 300 mph).

Yes, it still adds with the GTI. But it's a lot more tame than my Rabbit. The 2.0T helps. My GTI has more of a tendency to stay at the same gas mileage for a longer period of time whenever it detects better fuel economy, instead of adding constantly. Either way you shouldn't expect it to be 100% perfect.

Side story: I can't emphasize that last sentence more. I had a VERY close call one time with my GTI. My MFI said I had 15 miles left but I was down to 0 miles in less than 15 actual miles! I was probably driving a good 10-15 minutes with the 0 reading before I ran into a Costco. I was stuck begging them to open a pump for me (no membership). Felt like a complete idiot.

Don't be one of those people that waits until the last second. Not just because you'll get stuck but it's also bad for the fuel pump since it relies on gas to act as a coolant.

Last edited:

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
I know its a little different but I've driven 38 miles (from work) on when my car said the 15 mile range mark once (according to my range meter (top of the gas needle was just inside the red mark), 45 min trip ( approx. 10 mins @ 50mph, 20 mins on I-10 @ 70mph, and about another 10-15 @ 45 mph, light traffic, 3 red lights). Went home and then left again on a 3 minute trip and a red light to the gas station afterwards.

Lesson: Remember your wallet. I was lucky.

gavinfla

Tank range for mk6

I've always seen a 350 mile range after fillups. Lately been learning more about cunsumtion 1 & 2 and how to reset them. Now i'm noticing a much lower range, 240 miles. I thought it might have something to do with new tiers, after reading some post on here its making more sense that as long as your driving city the range computs city driving, 240-275 range and around 19 mpg average. Today i fill the tank to the brim and range was only 250, i went for a long ride at 65 mph for 30 miles and the range went up to 345 miles range. I hope this guys out

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
as others have said, it changes based on how your driving at the moment. so in other words, it really has no idea how many miles you have left. For this reason, I almost never check it. My car hangs around 24mpg. Its definitely helpful to know so I'm not mocking lol but I have no idea what I get on a full tank and I don't care to know. As long as I feel that pull when I get on the parkway each morning.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I normally get a little over 200 miles from full to half a tank and the other half always seems to go faster. In the end I average around 350 ish miles per tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk