GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering switching from APR stg 2 to equivalent competitor

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
I get that, totally. I know the S3 and Golf R share the same engine. I just don't see them dropping the ea855 in a Golf just yet. I can see it in like a Tiguan R, if that ever came to be. That way they could charge up the ass for it, since it's an SUV.
I hear ya. Given the rumor of "all GTI and Golf R now being shipped here as 4-door cars...so that the Scirocco may come soon as the 2-Door offering", maybe the 2.5L tfsi could come in the form of a Scirocco R?!?!?! I'd drink to that. :drinking:

I want my next car to be a Golf R...but now I am waiting to see if the Scirocco rumor is true.

FriggenT1

Banned
I hear ya. Given the rumor of "all GTI and Golf R now being shipped here as 4-door cars...so that the Scirocco may come soon as the 2-Door offering", maybe the 2.5L tfsi could come in the form of a Scirocco R?!?!?! I'd drink to that. :drinking:

I want my next car to be a Golf R...but now I am waiting to see if the Scirocco rumor is true.

My next one will likely be an A4, I test drove one and it was such a nice ride, interior, etc. The R doesn't do it for me for some reason.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My next one will likely be an A4, I test drove one and it was such a nice ride, interior, etc. The R doesn't do it for me for some reason.
S4*

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
The R lost it for me when the 2-door went away. I could have made an R return to its more youthful looks...but not liking its direction right now with only a 5-door. That is just my personal taste...because even the 5-door can be made to look quite sinister.

Then, funny enough, I do like the Audi RS3 5-door Sportback...and of course it is not available here.

Last edited:

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
OTS tunes are straight garbage
Really now. Today I went from stock setup to COBB Stage 1 93 OTS map. Torque reading on AP showed around 250, for what it’s worth (not high-torque map). Linear, nice even punch, worked flawlessly during 4 hour drive. Compared to stock, felt smoother, nice and even power delivery until things got interesting around 4,000 rpm.

I'll install the COBB intake this week and go to Stage 1+, supposed to be 65-70 Tuesday and Wednesday (Vermont here, hello winter tires).

When it gets warmer and I’m on summer tires I'll visit Justin at Freeqtune for a custom dyno tune. Probably do COBB turbo-back before then. I’ll skip the in-between tunes because I don’t think I’ll notice them much and mailing back and forth with a tuner for weeks at a time? No thanks.

Compared to the wonky APR ECU replacement I did to my sleeper Passat in 2000, COBB is absolute magic. I’m glad I didn’t go straight to Stage 2, I like feeling the power progression. Huge grin and a big thumbs-up for COBB.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Put COBB intake on yesterday. Stage 1+ 93 octane map was not good, lot's of hesitation under 3000 rpm and knock sensor read 6 after a hard pull. Off to check out Stratified. I still think the Stage 1 OTS map is fantastic.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Thanks for the update OP. Glad you're going with Stratified. You won't regret it!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Update: Put COBB intake on yesterday. Stage 1+ 93 octane map was not good, lot's of hesitation under 3000 rpm and knock sensor read 6 after a hard pull. Off to check out Stratified. I still think the Stage 1 OTS map is fantastic.
Yeah you like it now until you get your stratified tune and then you will understand what we mean by the OTS tune being garbage.

Thanks for the update OP. Glad you're going with Stratified. You won't regret it!
this.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered the Stratify Tune at breakfast. When I went out to check which tune was on the car, it turns out I had the Stage 1+ which utilizes the original MAF.
The code thrown was "P0101 Mass for Volume Air Flow Circ. Range/Performance."
Once I swapped that out for the Stage 1+ Big SF Power Intake map, problems and code went away. Back to smoothness in 1st and 2nd, and tires were starting to spin in 4th at 50 mph, good times. I'll probably hold off on the Stratify until I go Stage 2 in a few weeks. What can I say, I'm learning.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
You can buy 'em. They're called "Edition 35". Pretty much a FWD R.

Kinda, except they still use the EA113 engine I think, which means if you want any tuning you need a HPFP and a bunch of other stuff. Those engines are dinosaurs by now.

Just get the AP, you can adjust the tune and in the future, can get more money back from selling it.

Best part about that is if you get the AP+Stratified and still have issues that can be traced to a hardware problem, you still own the APR tune, so you can flash back to APR, see if it's better, and if it is, sell the AP. That's pretty much my plan.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!