GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help removing Trunk wall mounted subwoofer.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I just bought some LED tail lights and I went to install them but ran into an issue. The previous owner had a subwoofer installed like this:

https://imgur.com/a/JQ25j (i'm an idiot and cant get the pictures to embed in the post)

Does anyone know how to remove this so that I can get the driver side tail light installed, also so I can try and see whats wrong with the sub since it doesnt even work. Thanks.

Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Most likely, they mounted it through the inside of the box, so the only way to remove it is to remove the subwoofer from the box first. Carefully remove those 10 screws and pull out the sub. You should be able to remove the box after that. It may be obvious why the subwoofer doesn't work when you actually remove it from the box and look at it. From the looks of the grill on it, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't cared for too well, haha. I'd expect to find a ruined sub, but you may get lucky and it could just be a loose wire. Either way, you'll need to remove the subwoofer from the box.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Most likely, they mounted it through the inside of the box, so the only way to remove it is to remove the subwoofer from the box first. Carefully remove those 10 screws and pull out the sub. You should be able to remove the box after that. It may be obvious why the subwoofer doesn't work when you actually remove it from the box and look at it. From the looks of the grill on it, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't cared for too well, haha. I'd expect to find a ruined sub, but you may get lucky and it could just be a loose wire. Either way, you'll need to remove the subwoofer from the box.
So I got the sub off and only thing I saw inside was the little metal nub in the picture. Should that twist off and free the box?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
not sure if you figured this out yet or not but i know it has something to do with the wheel well if they did it correctly it should be bolted through the well behind the tire into the trunk
Yea, I figured that out. Just took off that wheel and the bolt was right there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk