GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40,000mi service (DSG) is $800!!!??? HELP!!!

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Most oil changes at dealerships come with "free" multi point inspection... Using this system I saved hundreds and still got the expert service from the dealership.

btufail

Ready to race!
I found an independent shop here in Columbus that will do it for around $275. They're called German Autowerks. Supposed to be pretty reputable!

McQueen77

Banned
Figure it this way if you had an MT you would need a new clutch at 40 k anyway.....

God I hope not. The clutch in my Tacoma lasted 95k miles. 40k on a clutch is pathetic.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
God I hope not. The clutch in my Tacoma lasted 95k miles. 40k on a clutch is pathetic.

Hahaha, probably every 40k if you have no idea how to drive a manual.

FamousEric

Ready to race!
Best thing to do is google and call around and get some quotes. The dealership is so much more convenient and friendly a lot of times and you KNOW it is being done right, but sometimes, the wallet gets an extra vote. My wife and I ran into that with our old 09 Jetta TDI. When the 40k came up it was priced at about $600 at the dealer, we couldn't afford it, but I wasn't going to skimp on the scheduled service on a German car.

Found a local garage that offered VW "Factory" service.....for about half the cost. Small shop, nice enough guys, even had them do some work on our 83 944. Was always worried if it was "as good" as the dealer, but hey, the car never had any issues and was right about at 100k when we traded it in.....so.

Now, that was a manual, so, the DSG may be a bit more specific but if it's just fluid changes, it can't be THAT hard.

IPB? I got a quote from them for like 300 or something when i was there for my flash.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
$800 after three years of driving (assuming 12k/year) doesn't sound too bad.

German cars are really intricate and fiddly beasts so the cost is expected.

Figure it this way if you had an MT you would need a new clutch at 40 k anyway.....

ahhh, no!

I've had 5 manual tranny cars and I've driven the balls off of em. None needed a new clutch before 150k miles...

You drive a manual properly, the clutch on these stock GTIs are good for 150k miles easy.

Again, manual tranny = $0 routine maintenance.

tsisson3

I think I remember my advisor saying to do just the fluid would be about $375 before taxes. I thought it was still steep, but I like to blame all inflated prices on being a Californian.
Fluid, filter, o-ring, and crush washer for this job is about $120. I would advise you to avoid that "advisor".

tsisson3

I'm creeping up on 40k miles. Went to the dealership today to get a wiper blade, and asked them how much my 40k service will cost. Here's how the conversation went.

ME: "So...how much?"
THEM: "Its expensive."
ME: "Haha...how expensive?"
THEM: "For a DSG, over $800."
ME: "Yeah, right."
THEM: "I'm serious."
THEM: "I'm serious."
THEM: *shrugs shoulders*.....(as if to say...."You'll see, fuck face")

I WILL LIGHT MY CAR ON FIRE BEFORE I PAY THE DEALERSHIP $800+ TO CHANGE MY FLUIDS AND SPARK PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

Can my tuner shop do this for me??? Can they do the DSG fluid flush/drain/refill? How hard of a job is that?

All the other stuff they do at 40k is bullshit. Check your bulbs, seats, wipers, air filter, rotate tires, check brake pads.......fuck all that shit.

I just want the DSG fluid...spark plugs changed (necessary at 40k?)...and an oil change. How much would a shop (not VW dealership) charge for that? Not anywhere near $800 I hope!!

I know there are some threads about this 40k service already....but they aren't talking about DSG service/prices....and options if you don't want to go to the stealership.

What are you DSG'ers paying for this service, and where are you getting it done?
I'd recommend d taking a portion of that $800
Well...apparently...the 40k service for a DSG is a lot different ($$$) than a MT 40k service?

What if I went to the dealership and asked them to do the DSG fluid swap.....AND DO THAT.....AND ONLY THAT?

I will take care of the rest myself (my tuner)

How much would they charge just for the DSG tyranny fluid swap?
This job is about a $350-500 job at I dependent shops... $450-700 at a dealership $120 for fluid, filter, o-ring and new crush washer...and book labor at 2-3 hours I think.

The procedure is not too difficult and can be accomplished on jack stands. You basically do two separate tasks...the first is on the top side in the engine bay. You remove air intake and the battery and battery tray... This gives you access to the plastic DSG filter housing which can be removed with a 24 mm socket. Pull that off and out cones the filter, drop the new one in amd button everything back up, done on top.

Then get the car on jack stands... All 4 corners. The DSG has two drain plugs, one inside the other. Remove the external drain plug with a 14mm allen on a socket and let it start to drain...then as the flow slows, put an 8mm allen up into the hole and take out the inner plug... It's plastic and barely finger tight.

To fill, you will need a fitting to attach a hand fluid transfer pump to the drain hole... and basically pump about 4-5 quarts of fresh flyid back in. I use Amsoil's DCT fluid. YouTube the procedure for support, but this is a fairly easy and straight forward job and it will save you the 40k service nonsense dealerships like to try and charge customers for.

You can DO IT!

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'd recommend d taking a portion of that $800

This job is about a $350-500 job at I dependent shops... $450-700 at a dealership $120 for fluid, filter, o-ring and new crush washer...and book labor at 2-3 hours I think.

The procedure is not too difficult and can be accomplished on jack stands. You basically do two separate tasks...the first is on the top side in the engine bay. You remove air intake and the battery and battery tray... This gives you access to the plastic DSG filter housing which can be removed with a 24 mm socket. Pull that off and out cones the filter, drop the new one in amd button everything back up, done on top.

Then get the car on jack stands... All 4 corners. The DSG has two drain plugs, one inside the other. Remove the external drain plug with a 14mm allen on a socket and let it start to drain...then as the flow slows, put an 8mm allen up into the hole and take out the inner plug... It's plastic and barely finger tight.

To fill, you will need a fitting to attach a hand fluid transfer pump to the drain hole... and basically pump about 4-5 quarts of fresh flyid back in. I use Amsoil's DCT fluid. YouTube the procedure for support, but this is a fairly easy and straight forward job and it will save you the 40k service nonsense dealerships like to try and charge customers for.

You can DO IT!
The thread is 9 years old. Just in case you hadn't noticed.

Good info nonetheless.

jedred1

jedred1
I paid $400 for my 40,000mi DSG change but my 80,000mi I did my self. Cost me about $125 in tools/filter/fluid and 3 hours of YouTube watching 3 hours of doing. I did the bottom fill method as recommended by VW using Torque app on my phone to watch the trans temp.