GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Sway Bar Discussion Thread

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
So where does the 24mm rear bar fit in my setup?

Before 26/22 hard hard or after 26/22 hard hard?

As I said I am going to try 26/22 S/H for a few weeks, then 26/22 H/H if not satisfied with roll.

Also, I'm guessing that when I go to 24 rear I should reset the 26 front to soft and go 26/24 S/S as start point to find my settings?

I'd first set both present bars to stiff for a couple of days but the order doesn't
really matter. Don't care too much, mate. You'll notice quickly if the current bars
arent't sufficiently dimensioned after trying the all stiff setting. I just personally
prefer first experiencing the extremes to get a feel on the capabilities.

So is H&R 'big' the stiffest set available, thus the best for track performance?

Keep in mind the 28 mm H&R set to stiff is 188 N/mm while the stock front sway is 66 N/mm.
This is a huge difference !!

Yes, it's the stiffest kit availabe (at least if you still get a 28/28 kit from AWE*), but it's
hard to say if you need it on track. Such big bars require some parts that match their
stiffnes, at least proper dampers. Big bars raise overall spring rates which needs to be
controlled by suitable damping.

Paired with DG springs I'd go for bars in the 24 - 26 mm are (e.g. 26 + 24 mm) and add
proper tires, dampers and bushes.

Paired with a stiffer coilover of a quality brand the bigger bars offer a fantastic way to
prevent excessive roll on track (when set to stiff) while keeping reasonable ride comfort
(when set to soft).

* I you believe you need a monster rear bar and AWE isn't able to sell it and you can't
grab one used search for the BSH 27 mm rear bar. I have no opinion on the quality though.

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Since this is a discussion thread I thought I'd ask some advice here rather than start a new thread.

I'm in search for sway bars. I don't want to change the factory "understeer" characteristic but would like to reduce some roll.
under hard cornering the front tires rubs just a tiny bit. I don't want to raise the height either.
Main point here is I want reduce frontal roll a bit. I think how it corners is perfect for me. I will raise the height a little in the winter but in the summer I don't want that.
Should I just do 24mm front? since it's the frontal roll I mainly want to get rid of?
or
Will 26F + 24R combo do the trick? this ratio is much like stock bar ratio but i dont know, will those work nicely?
or
just do rear 24mm. but I doubt that will affect frontal roll?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
26 + 24 will be fine.

BTW, what kind of suspension and what wheels (offset) and tires?

Insufficient clearence is hard to fight with suspension mods. Of course stiffening
it will help, but not avoid this at all. Less spacer / higher offset would be the most
consequnt way to solve it.

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
Would I expect some reduced frontal roll with rear sway only?

I have 18"X8 ET45 no stretch. seidewall is 35. no spacers.

thanks

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Would I expect some reduced frontal roll with rear sway only?

Very marginal only. On spirited driving the front wheel will bump almost the same.

Fender screw mod already done?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Went 22 hard on Monday on my H&R 26/22 S/H setup.

Much more body roll reduced with the rear bar on hard and front on soft, much more than soft/soft.

No added harshness in the ride. I can only make the body roll on very agressive turns, like a 90 degree turn with minimal braking, hardly any roll in long cloverleaf on and off ramps. I haven't experienced the heave in the back end that WhiteJames indicated with this setup.

I am going to ride on this for 2-4 weeks and then try hard hard.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
With a stiffer bar on rear the inner rear wheel will lift on some tight corners.
You won't notice it and it doesn't hurt at all.

The outside front wheel will still bump in almost as before.

Monkey77

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Bruce,

Debating going with the HR cupkit set up, and a 26mmFront/24Rear HR sways. would your recommend any damper replacement, or would the stock ones suffice since the set-up isn't overly aggressive?

TIA

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Both H&R springs and sways increase overall spring rates that need to be controlled by
the dampers. At least I'd say in the long run it'll ride better with a set of Konis or Bilsteins
but if your stock dampers are still fine you'll be happy with them for some time.

MMartel455

Great thread!

I just got H&R front and rears installed at AWE. 26 set at soft for the front. 24 set at stiff in the rear. The rest of the suspension is stock. Very neutral, great turn in, and you can make the back end slide if you want to play. I think this change would make this car much more fun at autox.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i have the h&R 24f/26r mm bars going on my car soon. Its the same setup as the R32. I am thinking of either doing both at soft, or the front at firm, rear at soft, as I did not like the 24mm RSB on my gti set to firm at all - could def feel the difference in ride quality. Thoughts?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Great thread!

I just got H&R front and rears installed at AWE. 26 set at soft for the front. 24 set at stiff in the rear. The rest of the suspension is stock. Very neutral, great turn in, and you can make the back end slide if you want to play. I think this change would make this car much more fun at autox.

I wonder how much roll and ride quality would change if I stepped up from the HR 22 rear bar to a 24?

Right now I like the HR 24/22 F/R soft/hard setup I have. It now takes a lot of aggression and speed to make the body roll in turns.

The only issues I noticed in ride quality since going from rear soft to hard is the car has a wobbling feeling when going down a driveway onto the street and when going over speed bumps the front end rides over normally with the soft front bar but hops over the bump with the hard rear bar.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
I read over this and I wanna get someone's opinion on this. I'm wanting to go with either apr front and rear sway bars or h&r front and rear sway bars. I'm looking for a set up that will improve my handling but not have too much over or under steer just a happy medium. Something for dd but something that would be good for taking around the ring. Thanks