GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil Packs

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Don't need to spend money on a tool for this. Get yourself some long zip ties, and make 2 loops. Hook the ends and pull straight up. :w00t:

This x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Easiest way imaginable :D

Got some misfires on startup. (Around 1-2) Might be looking at getting some of these.

mark986

Ready to race!
Anyone else have experience with the Sti coil packs? I'm debating what to do...

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
According to ECS 07K905715F supersedes the ones in our cars now. Mine were rev A.
I am not certain but I think the ones with the rubber sheathing expand when hot which causes them to pop upwards and unseating them. The F revision doesn't have the rubber sheathing and appears to have vent holes. Again, I'm not certain this is only an observation. I will say that most my friends GTIs coil packs need to be reseated every few weeks. One of my friends had total misfires, I popped the hood and all 4 coils were totally popped upwards enough to make intermittent contact with the spark plug.

mark986

Ready to race!
Well according to my VIN, the A's were the most recent.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
You mean 06H905115A?

My car was also factory equipped with Rev A coil packs. When I contacted ECS they said the F Rev. Supersedes the A rev.

We need someone who has access to VW information to settle this. I want a spare set on the shelf to prevent a dealer visit and waste of my time.

mark986

Ready to race!
My car was also factory equipped with Rev A coil packs. When I contacted ECS they said the F Rev. Supersedes the A rev.

We need someone who has access to VW information to settle this. I want a spare set on the shelf to prevent a dealer visit and waste of my time.

I know what you mean. That's why I was confused when I asked VW about revision A vs F and they told me A was for my car?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Best advice right here:
it wouldn't hurt to take the extra couple seconds to check the coils while your under the hood anyway.

Don't even bother trying to find out what problems it may or may not cause, it takes literally 15 seconds to open the hood, lift the engine cover off and push down on the coils and you just eliminated any potential problems that might stem from it.

Mine were up a good 1/4"-1/2" after only 9k miles

VR6eric

Ready to race!
So I replaced all 4 coil packs about 7 mos. ago, and now I just got a CE light, had it scanned by Autozone, and they tell me misfiring on cylinders 4 and 2. Are coil packs suppose to go bad this soon?

Also, if you are looking at the engine, is cylinders numbered 1 to 4, from left to right?

Thanks.

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
So I replaced all 4 coil packs about 7 mos. ago, and now I just got a CE light, had it scanned by Autozone, and they tell me misfiring on cylinders 4 and 2. Are coil packs suppose to go bad this soon?

Also, if you are looking at the engine, is cylinders numbered 1 to 4, from left to right?

Thanks.

That's really soon, you sure they aren't just lifted up off of the plugs?

If you haven't changed the plugs yet, that would be my next guess.

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
That's really soon, you sure they aren't just lifted up off of the plugs?

If you haven't changed the plugs yet, that would be my next guess.

Id reccomend when changing the plugs, change the packs also. they have about the same life span in my experience