GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadian skews?

Jayross

Hello, I am thinking about getting a new VW Golf next year. I know things will most likely change over the course of a year, but I had some questions.

Does anyone know anything about the Canadian skews? I have looked on VW.ca and there is something called a "Golf City" that has a 2.0 L 115hp engine. This seems like it is an older version, as the new MKVI's have a 2.5l 160hp engine, I believe.

EDIT: Okay, there is something called a "Golf Family" that has the 2.5l 170hp engine. It starts at $21,475 CND (~$21,268 USD)

With automatic transmission, the MSRP is about $24,000. That doesn't seem very reasonable.

Do Canadians buy cars from the states very often? Or is that too much hassle?

Thanks,

Jayross

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
The City Golf they are going to be discontinuing. The city line was the low end versions for VW. VW likes to change their minds a lot, the Rabbit was for 2009 and for 2010 it was the Golf. I think that they are discontinuing the Rabbit for good now too. The Golfs 2.5 are 170 HP with 177 Foot pounds of torque. $24,000 does seem like a lot. I got a 2010 Golf and I got a 5 speed and even with the two options that were available and financing at 1.9% etc, it was still less than $24,000. The thing is that automatics are more expensive then manual. It's roughly around $1000-1500 more than a manual. I also think you're talking about the comfortline and not the treadline version.

Last edited:

Jayross

In the States, the car comes with automatic transmission standard, and starts at $19,700 USD. That is like $20,000 CDN. It seems like unless I can get a really good deal in Canada, it would make more sense to buy a car in the states.

Will I have any issues with that? Like I said, I have no idea how these things work, really. Will it be a pain to get it insured? Or will it be hassle-free?

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
In the States, the car comes with automatic transmission standard, and starts at $19,700 USD. That is like $20,000 CDN. It seems like unless I can get a really good deal in Canada, it would make more sense to buy a car in the states.

Will I have any issues with that? Like I said, I have no idea how these things work, really. Will it be a pain to get it insured? Or will it be hassle-free?

It will be a pain to import it. 6% duty, 12% tax, shipping costs if you're not driving it up, the speedometer will need KM/H labeling (not sure if alt display speed feature is enough), need a recall letter from VW America or a dealer clearing for import into Canada, 3 inspections in BC, and various administrative costs.

Oh, the warranty will also be void in Canada.

Jayross

It will be a pain to import it. 6% duty, 12% tax, shipping costs if you're not driving it up, the speedometer will need KM/H labeling (not sure if alt display speed feature is enough), need a recall letter from VW America or a dealer clearing for import into Canada, 3 inspections in BC, and various administrative costs.

Oh, the warranty will also be void in Canada.

Okay thanks, so that is a "no".

plat

Ready to race!
I also looked into importing a GTI from the US into Canada. I would say, No. Here is why (I asked two WA based VW dealers): They were told by VW US not to sell to Canadians. So, what the dealership does to discourage new VW vehicles sales to Canadians is to require them to register the vehicle in the state where the dealership is located. So in the case of WA, you will have to pay WA registration and insurance plus the WA sales (8.5% or more, I believe. It varies from one county to another). So, even though a Golf or GTI sells for a lower price in the US, all the other duties, brokerage, importation fees, HST, inspection, retrofits, etc. that ROASTPUFF mentioned just adds to the cost making it not worth the hassle. Mind you, you do not pay duties if the vehicle you are importing is made in Canada, US or Mexico (i.e. NAFTA trade agreement). The Golf is made in Germany so you will get charged 6% import duties at the border.

Also, VW USA offers only 3-years of bumper to bumper warranty. VW Canada offers up to 4-years of B-to-B warranty. You need to factor this in, as well.

So, I decided to just purchase my GTI locally. Another minor plus side is that I am also helping local business.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I would rather buy in my country to support my economy then someone elses.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
If HST is still in effect it would be 12 percent.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
Alright, thanks.

So think of it as $1200.00 for every $10,000 the car is worth. $3000.00 in taxes if the car was priced at $25,000.