GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheaper Copper Spark Plugs for our 2.5

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
IMO Platinum and Iridium plugs aren't used to create more power but rather so manufacturers to can claim longer service intervals, similar situation to extended oil change intervals. The core of the spark plugs is copper, platinum and iridium are used on the tip of the plugs as the help to keep the spark gaps consistent for a longer time.

In our Tiguan with the 2.0T engine the core breaks down before the spark gaps, don't' t believe me check out the service interval for the spart plugs on the 2.0T engine, so I've always used the cheaper copper plugs with out issue, so why not on the 2.5

I found this great write up on Vortex, using cheaper NGK copper spark plugs (ZFR5E-11) for our 2.5 engines.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-Plug-Solution-for-2-5-s-exists!-the-ZFR5E-11

If it runs better and gets better gas milage, they have my attention.:thumbsup: Enjoy the Savings !

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I thought i'd add that someone IMed me that they've installed NGK BKR7E spark plugs as well, without any issues.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
I thought i'd add that someone IMed me that they've installed NGK BKR7E spark plugs as well, without any issues.

I have NGK BKR7E on my car too and it run greats, someday I will have to give a try for the ZFR5E-11

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I have NGK BKR7E on my car too and it run greats, someday I will have to give a try for the ZFR5E-11
The ZFR5E-11 are running great even with the EI Stage1 Tune.

Since they are getting harder to find where I live, I've been looking around and found a set of ZFR5E-11 from NAPA on Hilton Head for $2.21 each. They only had 4 on hand this morning, the 5th spark plug will arrive at 2pm this afternoon.
:happyanim:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
nuttin cheaper for the GTI eh? Figures. Good read though.

Will definitely look at an alternative for the wife's Tiggy when time comes to change out the sparkies. Which copper ones are you using on your Tiguan?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
nuttin cheaper for the GTI eh? Figures. Good read though.

Will definitely look at an alternative for the wife's Tiggy when time comes to change out the sparkies. Which copper ones are you using on your Tiguan?
I used the BKR7E in our '09 Tiquan.