GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 02-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
doofus
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI
OEM windshield replacement

I called a auto glass repair shop in San Jose, ca

They want $560 for a OEM windshield replacement on a 2011
($399 for the glass from a VW dealer + tax, the rest labor)

Does $560 seem too high or is that the norm?
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
LeeMarkus

Drives: BMW
This is a good price for auto glass repair as far as i am concerned, but still if you feel like the price is not genuine then you must contact others and ask them for the cost. Then choose that very firm which offers the reliable cost at comparable price.
LeeMarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:30 AM   #3
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
I think I paid $600 or so last year when I got mine replaced. So the price you listed doesn't seem high for OEM glass and labor.
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:59 AM   #4
Phur
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Double-check that your insurance doesnít cover glass breakage. A lot of people pay for it when they donít have actually have to. Itís definitely worth the phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
got mine replaced earlier this year. Wasn't Genuine VW but didn't care. Paid $0.

Auto glass company stopped by and replaced it in my garage. NO issues whatsoever.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
I paid $438 for mine in 2012.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
If you had to pay to get the windshield replace, you obviously have crappy car insurance coverage. LOL
Old 12-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Zero-deductible windshield replacement isn't a thing in most states.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
ImitationMan
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 4Dr CSG
I'm replacing my windshield on Thursday. Called my VW service desk and they told me they bring someone in to replace the glass for them and quoted me a price - about $600 for OEM and $400 for non-OEM. They told me most of the windshields they replace for customers are non-OEM.

I decided to cut them out of this transaction and I'm going directly with Safelite at their location. Before tax, it will be $310.

If replacing your windshield is covered without a deductible by your insurance, it isn't really free. You are just paying more for your insurance to offset the difference. Insurance companies don't have teams of actuaries sitting around crunching numbers to give you something for free. And yes, I did call my insurance agent and ask what was covered under my policy too before deciding to just pay for the windshield myself.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Zero-deductible windshield replacement isn't a thing in most states.
Might not be a state requirement in every jurisdiction, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't offered everywhere. Just have to request it from your company. Will obviously impact your rate.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #11
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
Might not be a state requirement in every jurisdiction, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't offered everywhere. Just have to request it from your company. Will obviously impact your rate.
I've never been with a company that waives the deductible for anything other than repair. They're generally not going to do anything that costs them extra money unless they're required by law.

Considering it's not an issue that comes up very often, it's cheaper in the long run to pay $500 if/when you need a new windshield as opposed to the extra money on your bill for the coverage.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
Phur
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Over the years I have had to put a windshield in my fiero, two in my wifeís corolla, one in my civic, and one and a half in my wifeís Jetta. They ordered the wrong windshield the first time and it had to be replaced.

For me, Iíd say itís worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote