GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unsure about my price (Canadian)

ChillGoose

Hey there.

Im new to these forums (first post)
I have always liked VW's and I think its time to step into one. My current car is a 93 Corolla with 277k on the clock. Time for an upgrade...

To the point.

I am located in Alberta and am looking at a 2011 VW Golf 2.5l Sportline. They dealer has one and after some time they arrived on a price.
Final price is $26,675 and thats AFTER they gave me a generous $1500 trade in on my car.
There is this "vin etching" they are charginf $270 for... I dont think thats nessecary is it?

Is this a good price? I dont know. I have not bought it yet.. probably going tonight or tomorrow to possibly finalize. I was thinking of getting them to $26,000 even... and sealing the deal. Reasonable? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks so much. :)

noname1

Ready to race!
VIN etching is a rip off.

When I bought my Toyota the finance guys were busy so the sales guy walked me through everything on my car. They had already Sentri-Sheild etching on my car (did not ask for it - did not know about it) sales guy pointed it out and then the finance team tried to up-sell me on that. Um... you guys already did it (but I never said that).

Back to the price: Try and get them to throw in accessories, after I pulled a car cost canada report on a 2011 GTI I was shocked to see how little markup there is on a new car, I suspect it would be similar to what you are looking at.
They make their money on add-ons. Try and get mats, tint, whatever you can for nothing and be prepared to walk away if they don't budge.

ChillGoose

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Yea I'll definitly not be paying for the Vin etching. And I wouldnt mind some monster matts as well.
I see you are in YYC. Where did you buy your VW?

noname1

Ready to race!
Fifth Ave Auto. I pick up my GTI sometime next week!

Not sure where you will be buying yours from but steer clear of Northland, I had some interesting experiences with their service group so much so I have a note on my file to "treat with extra care and attention."

ChillGoose

I am dealing with Northland. I wont be doing my servicing there since I will be driving it back to Saskatchewan after.
The saleswomen I have been dealing with there seems super nice. We shall see. If it doesnt work out for whatever reason i'll take my buisness to Fifth Ave or South Center. No big deal.

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 Golf and I have the base one, just under your model. I paid just under 24k for mine. The etching is a waste and you don't need it. Like the other poster said, see if you can get some free accessories etc.
I have never been to Northland but I haven't heard anything good about it, even from other VW owners. I got mine from South Centre and never had an issue. Well just their hours of service don't work with my work schedule. Rather than that they are awesome.

noname1

Ready to race!
Does not surprise me that Northland are pushing the etching. I would also make sure that if you are getting a block heater installed it's OEM or else if you run into issues in Saskatchewan they will tell you to take it back to where you bought the car from. Sounds odd huh, but I do speak from experience.

If you go to Fifth Ave, talk to Michael Funk. He's been awesome in the whole sales process since March for me.
I went to South Centre when I was looking but they are not the easiest to try and get a deal from from my experience.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

ChillGoose

Saskatchewan gives you problems without a block heater? First ive heard of that. Ill check it out though.

I did go in tonight and finalize everything. No vin etching and got them to throw in the Monster matts. They even lowered the price a little more. Overall im really pleased with Northlands service so far. (just speaking from personal experience)
I just need a approval with financing and figure out some other minuet details... but other than that I should be a proud owner of a 2011 Black VW Golf Sportline 2.5l 3-door. Im excited. Cant wait.
Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated

Now I just need to call a friend of mine up and get some 3m protection of some sort... damn Sask roads ;)

Treycal

Was Manou your sales person at Northland? I bought my GTI from her about 2 months ago. She was good. Ran into the exact same thing on VIN etching (didn't pay for it in the end) and ended up w/ Monster Mats thrown in. Unfortunately they didn't knock down the price on pick-up day. ;)

ChillGoose

Yea Manou was my sales person... kinda makes it easier when your sales person is super cute.
There is a slight problem with financing at the moment but hopefully it gets worked out.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Step 1: Use this website to figure out invoice: http://www.carsaver.ca/

Step 2: Then offer $500 below invoice.

Step 3: Find happy medium.

I paid $33 875 for my GTI last month. (+HST of course)