GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How far would you go to avoid door dings?

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I TRY to park only next to islands, if not i always try to park by nicer cars. NO VANS, NO COUPES, NO SUVS.
My girlfriend hates it haha.

Haha mine does too, but she also complains to me about all the door dings and stuff on her car. At least she notices I guess.

It's great at my work, it's a relatively small company (maybe 100 people), mostly guys who all care about their cars. Not much to worry about, which is nice.

Marvin

Ready to race!
I generaly park far out or next to nice/well ooked after cars if I can, but I'v only ever had this once, while I was sat in my car!
Sat in my car drinking a coffee in mcdonalds carpark when a bloke in a 4x4 pulled up next to me and twatted my passenger side with his door, got out and said 'Cheers you fucking stupid cunt', they guy said sorry but clearly didn't give a shit. People are fucking shit.

Goodness me, you do have a nice way with words, don't you? Other forums would not allow such profanity.:mad0259:

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
I will pretty much do what the other people here do, park far from everyone else. My brother hates it, but I couldn't care less, I want my car looking good!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Parked in a locla supermarket parking lot the other month.
Parked with the drivers side of the car right up near an island.
I wasn't a mile away from the store, just over to the side with plenty of empty spots to the right of the car.
It was raining to, so I figured no one would want to walk a bit further.
(I try to park alone, but not so far away as to draw attention to the car - never know if someone will want to F with your car because you parked it all by its self.)

Come out of the store, and what do I find?
A clapped out, heap of a van - not only parked besides my car, but parked over to the left in it's spot where the drivers door could have eaily hit my car.

I was pissed! :mad0259::mad0259::paddle::paddle:

Checked my car over very well, and fortunately I didn't find any marks.
But, what the hell??!!

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
Glad to know I'm not alone, I park away from everyone and try to always back in to spots. As I walk across the parking lot and see how many scrapes are on everyone else's car it makes me know I made the right choice. For 98% people small dings mean nothing.

nectar1

Passed Driver's Ed
i park far away. on end spots, corners, edges....anything where i can try to at least keep one side clear. funny, when i'm at the airport, i come back and have a8Ls, bmws, etc parked next to me. often the same cars. i actually jocky for a space with the guy i sold my corrado to.

my ex used to hate it.

look at it this way...cheap insurance, you're getting a bit of exercise (never hurts). and you're not dooshing up two spots up close (think parked sideways across two ) where someone might need a closer walk.

Wheat

Passed Driver's Ed
Goodness me, you do have a nice way with words, don't you? Other forums would not allow such profanity.:mad0259:

such profanity is necesary when people ding your car, see you in it and dont have the decensy to apologise until you have a go at them about it..

I forget I'm suposed to mind my language on forums..

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
i park far away. on end spots, corners, edges....anything where i can try to at least keep one side clear. funny, when i'm at the airport, i come back and have a8Ls, bmws, etc parked next to me. often the same cars. i actually jocky for a space with the guy i sold my corrado to.

my ex used to hate it.

look at it this way...cheap insurance, you're getting a bit of exercise (never hurts). and you're not dooshing up two spots up close (think parked sideways across two ) where someone might need a closer walk.

It's true, the slightly longer walk will never hurt you - it's actually good for you.
It's also usually quicker to pull directly into a clear spot further away, than yo cruise around searching for a single open spot.

SHIPARCH

First post here, got my GTI 2 weeks ago and I'm crazy about the parking. I'm always respectful of other people's things so why can't they?

I get to work a little late and park between co-workers who leave after me, and at school I try to park far away or between well taken care of cars. Public places are difficult though; I park as far as possible but some beat-up car always finds it's way into the next parking spot, even if there's another 200 good spots available.

Today I returned to my car after 5 minutes at a store and someone had put a cardboard advertisement on my window sill trim.

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
The only times I park next to another car are in absolutely need, if I literally cannot find an open spot..im weird about parking :)

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I've always been that guy. No one cares about other peoples stuff anymore and most people are fat and lazy sloths here in the Midwest anyway.

Demer

Passed Driver's Ed
I always try to be that guy but then I hate having to hear my girl complain about walking so far.......

Tecni

Ready to race!
I park as far away as I can. So far I've only had 1 ding in over 2 years and took it to dent wizard to get it fixed.