GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Car jerks + power cuts occassionally

ProofOfPayment

Ready to race!
Hey,

So in my 2011 GTI with 80k kms, I've been noticing some odd behavior recently. Yesterday, while at a stoplight, the car refused to go upon pressing the gas for about 1s, there was no revving, nothing. Then it kicked into gear and went. Today, in first gear, the power cut temporarily (rev, then suddenly stopped revving) under normal acceleration (i.e. not flooring it), and this jerked the car back in the process slightly. About 0.5s.

I've noticed similar issues before, though not as frequently, about a year ago since going stage 1. I have replaced my coilpacks and sparkplugs recently, VAGCOM logs some misfires on startup and some while driving on occassion, no CEL, and I don't feel them.

Since going stage 1 REVO, I've also had the issue of jerky upshifts, as in the car lurches back like a single clutch when upshifting under load at low rpms. This is sporadic, and I'm not sure if it's related.

Any help would be appreciated

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Do you have the ability to switch to "Stock" mode to see if it still happens?
Check that the plugs are gapped correctly.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
plugs and coilpacks would be the first check/replacement. Likely you have a coilpack beginning to fail

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Switching back to stock makes it slightly better . upshifts not jerky but similar problems on occasion.

Have you checked your engine mounts? does it feel like a broken mount possibly?

ProofOfPayment

Ready to race!
Very possible. My front end is a bit misaligned (hood not center even though it is, so something to do with fender. I'm not sure how but I was once told this could be engine mount related. What would the effects be I suppose I'll get a shop to check it. How much do those go to replace?

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Very possible. How much do those go to replace?

I have the same year and trans as you, I went stage 2 on factory mounts, and they didn't last long. Even on a mild tune the fluid :confused: :mad0259: filled factory mounts are inadequate.

As for pricing, I think they're about $150 or less per mount (only 2) and the dogbone is cheaper than that. I'd check your subframe hockey puck first though, it'l be the most expensive one to replace because you have to drop the subframe but it will save you the hassle of replacing mounts and not fixing the problem.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Carbon cleaning might be too my car had misfires on cold start ups and no more since i got it done

Mine does this too ever since the new APR update, but when the car is warm it runs great. Had the car carb cleaned last summer, only done about 15k miles since then.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have the same year and trans as you, I went stage 2 on factory mounts, and they didn't last long. Even on a mild tune the fluid :confused: :mad0259: filled factory mounts are inadequate.

As for pricing, I think they're about $150 or less per mount (only 2) and the dogbone is cheaper than that. I'd check your subframe hockey puck first though, it'l be the most expensive one to replace because you have to drop the subframe but it will save you the hassle of replacing mounts and not fixing the problem.

Buy a engine and transmission mount. Im partial to 034 motorsports but BFI makes good mounts so ive read.

I would also look at getting a insert for the dogbone/subframe mount.
I personally would avoid changing the "hockey pucks" in the subframe unless they are damaged as it will be the most intrusive and expensive.