GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To trade or not to trade r vs gti

chris101

Ready to race!
This was an entertaining read.

I sold my 2010 TDI Golf to get into the 2012 R and have no regrets despite all the people asking me if I regret giving up the 45mpg I was used to (nope, don't regret it at all)

What is funnier is many people seemed to think my TDI was a GTI and I did NOTHING to it to make it look more like a GTI so I suspect many just don't see the differences.

I bought the R for me to enjoy and honestly don't care if it 'blends in' and looks like a regular Golf or GTI. I actually still tell people at work who aren't car people that I have a 4 door golf because the bottom line is that it is ultimately still a Golf ;)

337RSR

Passed Driver's Ed
If you could remove that limit, then the AWD car will definitely be quicker around the track in some circumstances than a FWD car.

In Canada we probably have the Euro spec version because we CAN remove the ESC by holding the ASR switch for three seconds. I tried it and the central display says after one second : ASR deactivated and after three seconds : ESC deactivated. Any more questions ???:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
In Canada we probably have the Euro spec version because we CAN remove the ESC by holding the ASR switch for three seconds. I tried it and the central display says after one second : ASR deactivated and after three seconds : ESC deactivated. Any more questions ???:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I officially hate Canadians now. :p

337RSR

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently jumped ship from a 2011 GTI to a R.. Im still breaking it in, and not too happy with the purchase to be honest.. I came from a Stage 1 GTI and the R is NOT as fast.

That being said, I still havent really stomped on it.. I already have a bunch of mods in the mail and plan to be on APR's 1+ tune this weekend. Im sure Ill be happy by then, but dont know if ill be $5000 + $1500 in mods happy.

That $6500 out of my pocket, not including the money I lost on the mods on my old GTI (about $2500). I honestly jumped to the R for the AWD. And Ive been loving the handling on this thing.

Will post my opinion after I get the parts on and the ECU burnt this weekend. As of right now, NO, it was not worth the money. :)
Wait till winter and you'll be more than happy.:happyanim::happyanim:

kashak

Ready to race!
If I didn't spend $25,000+ in mods on my GTI I would probably jump to the R. Especially considering that the cost of my fully loaded GTI is ~4 grand less than the current price for the R...which has all the good stuff of a fully loaded GTI already (in Canada anyways)