GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info on the 245's. It'll be at least until next year before I switch to those, as I literally just put the 235's on! Not to mention in a week my work commute is going to change from 32 miles each way to 4...

As for the calipers, I'll also be doing the TTRS master cylinder. Also, from what I found the 18Z are a better match than the 17Z as far as piston area goes. The 18Z should be the ~ 2749 mm² variant..

Edit #3.. Since you seem to be well versed in the brake area, what is your opinion on the Golf R brakes vs the 18Z's? I actually like the way the R brakes work, which is MUCH better than the Boxster non-S caliper on stock sized rotors, I just hate the way the caliper looks. Will I actually be gaining anything going to 18Z's?

You're most welcome for the info, always glad to spread proper knowledge around.

As to the Golf R brakes, I think it's one of the better cast caliper options for a Mk5/Mk6 model. The rotor size advantage over the factory brakes gives that extra torque that I feel is needed on these cars. The pad sweep area is excellent on the calipers as well. In addition, rotor selection is great for the Golf R brakes, with multiple manufacturers producing several different variations.The biggest downside to the R brakes has to be the weight though. They weigh in at almost 19 lbs apiece for just the calipers by themselves (4 piston brembo calipers are almost half that weight).

You are correct about the 18z calipers having a better piston surface area than the 17z calipers for the VW master cylinders. With the 17z calipers you're "missing" around 30% of the brakes and with the 18z calipers it's closer to 20%.

What's the piston area of the wilwood kit?

Not to derail the thread but do you think the TTS MC was a good choice for the Wilwood 6-pot super light front kit and Golf R rear brakes on my GTI?

This is for the Wilwood Superlite 6 piston kit. It's a bit on the higher side, but it isn't horrible. With a TTRS master cylinder it would be spot on.

Wilwood FNSL6R: 41.1 + 28.4 + 28.4 mm > 1330 + 636 + 636 mm² = 2602 mm²

For anyone looking to calculate brake information for themselves, here's a great site with several different calculators to use.

I currently have TTRS brakes on my CC. While I feel that the calipers are the best possible drop-in solution for any of the VW/Audi models that can fit them, I do have one huge beef with them: the massive freaking rotors!

Why are the rotors on so freaking big!?!? I get that they give you a nice huge initial bite with all of that torque and all, but it's a pain to find aftermarket 18" wheels to fit over these things. They're also insanely heavy and just about negate the weight advantage of the lightweight calipers. And since that rotor never got used on any other models than the TTRS/RS3, selection for aftermarket rotors is slim to none. 350-360mm would have been a much better size than the 372mm monsters that come on these things.

That being said, if you get the kit to convert the TTRS brakes to use 345mm rotors, you will have it all: great rotor selection with your choice of lightweight hatted rotors or inexpensive factory replacement rotors, and they fit under a ton of wheels!

I'll stop de-railing the thread with this brake nonsense. Now get back to posting up sweet big turbo stuff so I can get back to reading it. :D

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Epic! TTS (same as TTRS) MC, Wilwood front and Golf r rear.

Also for anyone who needs them I have an R32 front and rear brake set and MK6 Golf r front and rear brake set for sale.

You're most welcome for the info, always glad to spread proper knowledge around.

As to the Golf R brakes, I think it's one of the better cast caliper options for a Mk5/Mk6 model. The rotor size advantage over the factory brakes gives that extra torque that I feel is needed on these cars. The pad sweep area is excellent on the calipers as well. In addition, rotor selection is great for the Golf R brakes, with multiple manufacturers producing several different variations.The biggest downside to the R brakes has to be the weight though. They weigh in at almost 19 lbs apiece for just the calipers by themselves (4 piston brembo calipers are almost half that weight).

You are correct about the 18z calipers having a better piston surface area than the 17z calipers for the VW master cylinders. With the 17z calipers you're "missing" around 30% of the brakes and with the 18z calipers it's closer to 20%.

This is for the Wilwood Superlite 6 piston kit. It's a bit on the higher side, but it isn't horrible. With a TTRS master cylinder it would be spot on.

For anyone looking to calculate brake information for themselves, here's a great site with several different calculators to use.

I currently have TTRS brakes on my CC. While I feel that the calipers are the best possible drop-in solution for any of the VW/Audi models that can fit them, I do have one huge beef with them: the massive freaking rotors!

Why are the rotors on so freaking big!?!? I get that they give you a nice huge initial bite with all of that torque and all, but it's a pain to find aftermarket 18" wheels to fit over these things. They're also insanely heavy and just about negate the weight advantage of the lightweight calipers. And since that rotor never got used on any other models than the TTRS/RS3, selection for aftermarket rotors is slim to none. 350-360mm would have been a much better size than the 372mm monsters that come on these things.

That being said, if you get the kit to convert the TTRS brakes to use 345mm rotors, you will have it all: great rotor selection with your choice of lightweight hatted rotors or inexpensive factory replacement rotors, and they fit under a ton of wheels!

I'll stop de-railing the thread with this brake nonsense. Now get back to posting up sweet big turbo stuff so I can get back to reading it. :D

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie

I think the TTRS rotors are so big because there isn't any room for sufficient cooling ducts for the brakes and they just had to come up with a solution. Albeit poorly executed. The right and left rotors aren't even directional. In the end they still overheated quite easily and they had to develop these brake duct/funnels (pictured below) as a band-aid. The wheel selection is poor for 18's because they were made for 19" wheels. Running them with 18" wheels for track duty further exacerbates the cooling issue because of the close tolerances and lack of air flow. All that being said, it is a great OEM plug and play upgrade and was relatively cheap during the recall phase for noisy brake pads. Audi wasn't asking for the parts back, so dealers (shady employees) were taking them off and basically selling them on eBay for cheap. In the end a 355 stop tech trophy kit fell in to my lap, so I sold the TTRS kit.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I think the TTRS rotors are so big because there isn't any room for sufficient cooling ducts for the brakes and they just had to come up with a solution. Albeit poorly executed. The right and left rotors aren't even directional. In the end they still overheated quite easily and they had to develop these brake duct/funnels (pictured below) as a band-aid. The wheel selection is poor for 18's because they were made for 19" wheels. Running them with 18" wheels for track duty further exacerbates the cooling issue because of the close tolerances and lack of air flow. All that being said, it is a great OEM plug and play upgrade and was relatively cheap during the recall phase for noisy brake pads. Audi wasn't asking for the parts back, so dealers (shady employees) were taking them off and basically selling them on eBay for cheap. In the end a 355 stop tech trophy kit fell in to my lap, so I sold the TTRS kit.

I added these to my superpro control arms and they are great.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for the visual. Makes more sense to me now. Just creates an air dam directing flow to the rotors?

Once the Mk6 Golf R calipers get done being powder coated and can get them installed, these would seem like a nice add-on down the road. The calipers will be paired with StopTech sport slotted 345mm rotors and HPS 5.0 street pads. Also will have the Tyrolsport caliper stiffening kit installed on them at the same time....hopefully they fit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
finally getting this going. still not sure if i want to flash their file now, i have a track day in 2 weeks and my current tune "works" even though it's not the best.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
what would you guys say we vac at? -20 to -21 or -21 to -23? i believe im still get some bleed off from thr dv while cruising at 65-70mph. car builds 5lbs and feels like its slowing down and does it repetitively. same thing happened when i had a hole in my tbp between the map and tb. (new pipe now).

thinking of swappig in the stiffer spring to see if this helps but seeing if maybe anyone had anything similar happen before i buy it