GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VB's journal - 2013 DBP R

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my 2013 deep black pearl Golf R 2dr with navi/sunroof. I bought it used (and stock) in Nov. 2014 with 23400mi on it. Previously, I've owned and modified a 97 240SX, a 93 240SX (SR20 swap), and an 05 Evo 8. I've also owned 2 other S13 240s, an FC RX7, and a Charger. This is my first Euro car and also my first DI engine!

-Modifications
Unitronic Stage 2+
Autotech HPFP insert
GFB DV+
42 Draft Designs full exhaust (cat, no resonator)
EVOMS V-Flow intake
EVOMS intake heat shield
Neuspeed FMIC
ClutchMasters FX350 (SMF)
ECS short shift kit
ECS dogbone mount insert
R8 (E) coil packs
NGK PFR7B spark plugs
Neuspeed Charge pipe
Neuspeed Discharge pipe

-Additional
Euro R LED tail lights (factory, no fog)
Euro switch (factory; wanted to be able to run the tail lights as parking lights with DRLs still on)
R monster mats
Front emblems painted black by previous owner
Rear black emblems (aftermarket? also by previous owner)
R seat handle inserts
42DD O2 spacer

-Upcoming
Catch can (42DD or BSH)
Undecided boost gauge with steering column mount
Undecided lowering springs
Undecided wheels (probably VMR, I need 'sunken treasure' in my life)
Unibrace UB
HPA Competition Haldex controller
Stainless glovebox handle
Black sidemarkers

-R History
(24500?) LED tail lights and ECS short shift kit installed (GPO)
(27000?) VW dealer replaced driver side window button unit (using that side to control the passenger window, it would only go fully up with the click, trying to make it go up increments wouldn't work)
(30000) 30k service performed by VW (including Haldex change)
5/12/15 (31311) APR Stage 1 flashed by Audi of Nashville
7/29/15 (33980) checked for boost leaks, clutch/SMF, exhaust, dogbone insert, intercooler installed. cam follower replaced (GPO)
7/30/15 (34019) APR Stage 2 flashed by Audi of Nashville
8/13/15 (34314) replaced front brakes with factory pads and Pilenga rotors
9/30/15 (35250) oil change; ECS aluminum housing, ECS magnetic plug, Mann filter, Motul Specific
4/5/16 (xxxxx) replaced rear brakes with factory pads and Brembo rotors (European Motorworks)
8/26/16 (39700) oil change with VW filter and Motul Specific, cabin filter change with VW charcoal filter
9/3/16 (39800) coil packs changed with Audi R8 (rev E) coil packs, spark plugs changed with NGK PFR7B
10/18/16 (40400) cam follower changed, fuel filter changed with OEM 6.6bar VW filter (European Motorworks)
7/9/2017 (45000) oil change with Mann filter and Motul Specific, replaced factory charge and discharge pipes with Neuspeed versions
1/12/2018 (48750) install cat, GFB DV+, change to Unitronic software (from APR) (European Motorworks)
2/16/2018 (49900) oil change with K&N filter and Motul Specific, cam follower changed

for your enjoyment, here's a few pics of my old Evo and S13:

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
thank you. yeah 3" the whole way. i've fallen in love with the sound, honestly. i was kinda nervous about pulling the trigger because it's the first car i've run without a resonator, but it sounds incredible (i think). i've gotten a few compliments on the sound, too

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
successful first oil change. only trouble i ran into was swapping that plastic centerpiece from the factory filter housing to the new one. had to flip it over and use a block of wood to get it to seat. other than that, easy-peasy.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Edit was talking GTI. Nice R!!

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
zrickety: i missed whatever you said gti related lol. thanks though!

davserbic: thanks! and very nice, must have been fun. i bet that made some good torque down low. never felt a turbo KA myself.

i don't really know where to put these 2 pics in the timeline of things, so i'm just gonna throw them up here... when i got my clutch/ic and post-exhaust install

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
had a friend plastidip my wheels today. traded him my old tactrix cable for tuning Evos. came out pretty well, i think. will post better pics tomorrow, got too dark by the time we finished.

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
few more pics of the wheels. it's been raining all day so the car isn't very clean.

those sidemarkers really need to go now lol

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
updated with some basic maintenance: 40k going on, changed the oil/filter, cabin filter, coil packs and spark plugs. still need to knock the fuel filter and cam follower out. oh and add some coolant... almost to the minimum line on the reservoir.

plugs and coils went smooth enough. almost threw myself backwards pulling the coils out. spark plug socket kept staying on the plug in the tube so i eventually just taped my extension to the socket. worked perfectly. booted around the block afterwards, no misses and felt a little smoother. don't think i noticed any increase in power, but i wasn't really expecting one.

ECS took forever getting me a replacement coil pack. one was damaged in my initial shipment... took a week and a half to get the replacement (took 2 days to receive the initial package).

and apparently Audi of Nashville no longer deals with APR, meaning the closest APR dealer to me is 125mi away... so i'm probably going to switch to Unitronic (from European Motorworks) when I upgrade my HPFP down the road. SeemsGood

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
charge and discharge pipes installed. tried doing it without spring clamp pliers... absolute nightmare. the world became zen-like when i started using them.

also oil changed.

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for the kind words.

after having the new pipes on for a bit now, there's definitely a noticed improvement in spool and it holds better at partial throttle

-up next should hopefully be a fuel pump insert, high flow cat, o2 spacers, readiness coded back in/software changed to unitronic...

...and it looks like i need to find a new image hosting website
(edit: think i found one)

Last edited:

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
installed my TWM Type-R gunmetal knob today. very easy install.

my only thing is how to get the leather to stay up around the adapter now? it came with a zip-tie but i messed up and had to toss that one... will try zip-tie again if i don't stumble across other options