GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Highest Mileage of Golf R Owners

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
How much miles do you guys have?
Any Mods ?
Any issues i.e. engine, clutch, etc i don't care about rattles?
Is stage 1 a huge improvement, and does the HPFP needs replacing too along with that?
Do you get heatsoak when its humid out that affects a lot of performance?

Since i need to replace my mk6 gti as its likely totaled, I'm considering the mk6 R as one of the options.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How much miles do you guys have?
Any Mods ?
Any issues i.e. engine, clutch, etc i don't care about rattles?
Is stage 1 a huge improvement, and does the HPFP needs replacing too along with that?
Do you get heatsoak when its humid out that affects a lot of performance?

Since i need to replace my mk6 gti as its likely totaled, I'm considering the mk6 R as one of the options.

Stage 1 is a big bump you don't need a new fuel pump unless you want Stage 1 + I wouldn't go that far.

Clutch does slip similar to GTI past stage 1+ it will wear out quickly.

2012 model had waterpump issues that grenaded a few engines. Remember these engines are FSI aka pre TSI design and feature a timing belt etc.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
APR stage 2+
I did have to replace my clutch
Stage 1 is nice bump (but good luck stopping there)... HPFP is your choice and requires a separate tune.
I upgraded my IC.

I was expecting from you anyway, what clutch did you use, in thinking south bend stage 2 or 3 drop in disk for around $400. I just installed my fx250 that i bought for 800$ a week before gti is "totaled", hasnt declared yet

Edit: im gonna stop at stage 1 or 1+, then save 800$ in case clutch starts slipping.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Stage 1 is a big bump you don't need a new fuel pump unless you want Stage 1 + I wouldn't go that far.

Clutch does slip similar to GTI past stage 1+ it will wear out quickly.

2012 model had waterpump issues that grenaded a few engines. Remember these engines are FSI aka pre TSI design and feature a timing belt etc.

Thats actually the reason why i asked bc fsi

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I was expecting from you anyway, what clutch did you use, in thinking south bend stage 2 or 3 drop in disk for around $400. I just installed my fx250 that i bought for 800$ a week before gti is "totaled", hasnt declared yet

Edit: im gonna stop at stage 1 or 1+, then save 800$ in case clutch starts slipping.

I went with the RSR clutch. Not cheap, but I'm glad I did. It's smooth as butter and strong like bull. If I were you I'd check in vortex about the options you mentioned. I recall several people had issues with upgraded clutches. I asked for you in the R owners FB page and will let you know if anyone responds.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
I'm at stage 2+ on my 2012 R since I had 3K miles on it and I just broke 80K miles.

At 20K my water pump blew but I caught it in time so VW replaced it..

At 35K my cam follower blew up on the highway, very expensive afternoon..

I had originally upgraded to Southbend Stage 2 endurance but immediately after breakin it started locking me out of gears/getting stuck in gear..spring didn't pop like some but had strange wear patterns and was deemed defective. I had a huge fight with southbend who blamed it on my shop and our cars weak hydraulic system but ended up getting it replaced for free.. Since I broke that one in I LOVE it.. NO issues ever again. About 20K and 2 track days on that clutch and no issues.

Taking her to the doctor next week for new timing belt, oil change, cam follower (I change it every 20k now whether it needs it or not), spark plugs, and low beam bulbs (starting to get dim).

Also, good idea to do carbon cleaning every 40K.. It's not cheap when done right but felt like a BRAND new engine. I saw the parts of the head since I removed the flapper at the same time.. had 1-2mm easy of build up on flapper fins alone.

All in all, love my R, would rather change the engine every year than sell it :happyanim:

Good luck!