GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Intake issue

Dmarsh212

I just got a Unitronic intake installed yesterday and I've noticed two issues with it, I was hoping maybe someone would have an idea as to what's wrong, if anything. I've only had the intake for a day, have driven about 50 miles with it on so maybe it still has to settle in and adjust?

About two weeks before the intake I got tuned to stage 1+, and the tune was fully settled in at the time of the intake install. I was loving the car, it pulled so much harder every gear, it was what i always wanted the car to feel like.

For some reason, and it may be just in my head, but the car feels slower with the intake. The boost doesn't seem to all be there, it doesn't feel as explosive as it did before.

The first issue I noticed was a slight vibration from the intake when accelerating, it's nothing major, but it's not smooth, it feels almost restricted. It doesn't sound smooth either, but this is the first time I've ever had a performance intake on a car, so maybe that's normal.

The second and more significant issue I'm having is a boost fluctuation when I accelerate hard in 3rd, 4th, and sometimes 5th. It happens in the first half of the rev range, from around 2k to 3.5k. It feels like a surge, like the boost reaches peak but then dies off, then comes back, then dies off again, before it finally holds for the rest of the gear.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with installation or with the DV, but my car is a 2011 so I figured I'd have Rev C or D. I'm thinking about buying the DV+, but I'm not sure if that would fix the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? This might even be the way the intake is supposed to act, so am I just making a big deal about something that's normal?

Jaber

Modero
Intakes remove some of the lower end power and you gain power up top. This is known really on any car. It's a trade off. By now, you're also probably used to the extra power and it no longer feels "WOW".

Also, if you're on OEM intercooler, heat will have a huge impact on performance.

It wouldn't hurt to go over the installation and make sure no couplers are loose and check tighteness of the clamps.

Dmarsh212

I know about the low end loss, but I also feel a top end loss, more of a loss all around. I am on the OEM intercooler so I am probably feeling a loss from the heat. Thanks for the information.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
You need to do three things here:

1. Make sure you've removed ALL packaging from the intake components. Some people have left some of the packaging material in the intake components before!
2. You need to get someone to log your car and specifically log your g/s MAF reading. If you're capping out at 159 g/s - you need to speak to John at Unitronic.
3. Double check your installation. Make sure you haven't introduced any intake leaks etc.

If your car is a 2011, the chances are high that you have a rev G diverter valve. You need to replace that thing with a Rev D as soon as possible. I wouldn't bother going with a DV+ just yet to be honest. Just go out an buy yourself an OEM Rev D Diverter Valve and you should be set.

Dmarsh212

Alright, I'll get it logged and see whats up, I'll also look into the Rev D DV, thanks!

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
Double check your installation. Question if you have a leak somewhere. Have nothing but good things to say about quality of Unitronic's hardware and installation unlike some other brands out there.

Dmarsh212

It might be a leak. This is going to be hard to describe, but the noise I get when I give it some gas is almost choppy, it isn't a smooth sounding hiss-like airflow when the turbo is spooling, like it was with the stock intake.