GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft magnet replacement!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys! I’ve recently noticed the cam magnet (old revision) on my GTI is leaking a little oil, it’s actually from the magnet part and not from the seal so I’ve ordered a new latest revision magnet and connector, can anyone tell me if it is a straight forward remove old part and replace with New or are there any other things that should be done/reset when changing this part? Just I don’t want to break something due to a simple mistake, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I don't know anything about the new revision vs old but it's a simple remove/reinstall job. You need a T27 or T30 torx (I don't recall which). Here's a link to the service manual page with torque specs and an exploded view. Torque spec is only 9Nm (just snug) so don't be a gorilla. I had the cam magnet in and out a few times during my recent timing chain replacement without issue. Good luck.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I don't know anything about the new revision vs old but it's a simple remove/reinstall job. You need a T27 or T30 torx (I don't recall which). Here's a link to the service manual page with torque specs and an exploded view. Torque spec is only 9Nm (just snug) so don't be a gorilla. I had the cam magnet in and out a few times during my recent timing chain replacement without issue. Good luck.

Thanks for that, especially the torque specs! My concern was particularly that removing the magnet may knock something out of spec or such like and cause damage if not done correctly, good to see it’s a simple job.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Would it also be wise to change the seal behind the magnet or can it be reused as it’s not leaking?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Personally I would always put in a new seal. Cheap to replace and no worries for leaks down the road.

Just how I am about things. How much could that seal be? I doubt not much at all. Just replace it with the magnet.

Jeff

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Yeah you’re right! I’ll order a seal now, thanks.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The seal only holds oil that gets splashed on it so it's not a big deal in my opinion. And I'm usually all for replacing things while you're at it.

[emoji848]well ok! I’ve not been able to order the seal yet anyway so may just leave it and replace it if it leaks in future.