GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
My Dad owned a first gen Prius. He also owned one of these:

I remember when these were all over the place like 10 years ago. They're pretty rare now. I've seen a K20 swapped one, which I would definitely drive.

xtremequicksand9

Ready to race!
I remember when these were all over the place like 10 years ago. They're pretty rare now. I've seen a K20 swapped one, which I would definitely drive.

They remind me of like, Tron cars? Or something you'd see in a Futuristic Christopher Nolan movie. Like I could totally see people driving them in Interstellar.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I'm amazed we don't see more cars shaped like that (insight), the aero benefits are significant.

We could have big V8 cars that get 40 mpg on the highway with current technology, the fact that we don't is insane to me.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I've driven a first gen Insight.

Hybrid with a stick. Not bad.

I've driven a second gen Insight. It was bad.

Representin'

:barf:

I'm amazed we don't see more cars shaped like that (insight), the aero benefits are significant.

We could have big V8 cars that get 40 mpg on the highway with current technology, the fact that we don't is insane to me.

Meanwhile, Obama is trying to kill the existence of the V8.

Merkle

Banned
People don't buy aerodynamically styled cars. They buy aggressive, sexy cars, or trucks, which are bricks on wheels.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Meanwhile, Obama is trying to kill the existence of the V8.

The V8 is certainly unnecessary and we could have regular 4 cylinder cars getting 50 mpg on 87 octane too, but again we don't and it's insane.

A miata-like sports coupe with better aero and a mega overdrive gear would do 40+ mpg, a FWD celica-like version could hit 50 no problem all without even bothering with the cost of hybrid/diesel/hydrogen shit.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
People don't buy aerodynamically styled cars. They buy aggressive, sexy cars, or trucks, which are bricks on wheels.

I think the first gen Insight looks pretty cool, but my taste in cars obviously doesn't align with main stream America's.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
The V8 is certainly unnecessary and we could have regular 4 cylinder cars getting 50 mpg on 87 octane too, but again we don't and it's insane.

A miata-like sports coupe with better aero and a mega overdrive gear would do 40+ mpg, a FWD celica-like version could hit 50 no problem all without even bothering with the cost of hybrid/diesel/hydrogen shit.

Fuck necessity though, this is America and I should be able to get whatever I want with the money I earn.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I agree with Troyballs

New Mazda 3 has a drag coefficient of 0.26. With the 2.0 it gets 40 MPG highway. That kind of number used to be reserved for diesels. Sounds great right? Well, a first gen insight achieved 0.25 in 1999.

If we really cared we could make a car that gets 60 MPG highway no problem.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Full circle. Back to Honda.

CRX. Those are cool. HS buddy had a red one with some "mods". Fun car to pal around in until he hit a deer. Deer lived. CRX, not so much.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
This was his:

But it looked more like this: