GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs 2011 Kia Optima SX

GTITX1

Ready to race!
That is the big thing here guys/gals, comparing the GTI with DSG vs anything else close in price with whatever hunk of junk slush box AT they have is no competition.

AdamC

Ready to race!
To me its like their are pulling a fast one. I prefer the modesty of VW to the over zealousness of Hyundai. I feel like they Hyundai/Kias are worse than the sum of their parts. Equal at best. I feel like my GTI and CC are better than the sum of their parts. And they are.

+1 :paddle:

eclipseguy

Ready to race!
All cars have a break-in period...

For consistency...

Car and Driver
Sonata Turbo
- 6.5 & 14.9 (new)
- 6.1 & 14.5 (@ 40k miles on their long-term test car)
GTI
- 6.1 & 14.7 (my personal test w/ my car and w/ a passenger)

Motor Trend
Sonata Turbo
- 6.5 & 15.0
GTI
- 5.8 & 14.5

Automobile
Sonata Turbo
- 6.4 & 14.9
GTI
- 6.1 & 14.7

Road & Track
Sonata Turbo
- 6.2 & 14.7
GTI
- 6.1 & 14.6

Thats good enough for me. Not to say the Sonata Turbo isn't quicker, or slower, but that would also assume that the GTI could be quicker or slower too.

But...

Sonata Turbo - 274 CLAIMED hp and 3,400 lbs = 12.4 lbs/hp AND 26mpg combined and 6.1 - 6.5 0-60 time/14.5 - 15.0 1/4 mile

GTI - 200hp and 3,100 lbs = 15.5 lbs/hp AND 28mpg combined and 5.8 - 6.1 0-60 time/14.5 - 14.7 1/4 mile

Sonata < Sum of Parts
GTI > Sum of Parts

Just calling it like I see it.

My car sonata weighs 3100
And I've ran better then those times
:-/

sick12gti

Ready to race!
My friend almost bought one of those kia's and I do like how is looks, I drove it just to see if there was any difference compaired to my 2012 gti, and I feel like they lied about hp right off the back its a slug.... now on the semi up side the 2013 gen coupe is going to have the turbo off this car and will be putting down 274hp but that mite be at the crank and I've driven a 2.0t gen coupe before getting my GTI and once again for base to base car VW wins everytime ... I used to be big with toyota and honda but nothing is good on there end and the FRS aka BRZ is looking like a DSM world again and if they would bolt in a wrx engine in it then I would serious look into that b/c of the mods you could do with that...

Smok3

Nattaboy Council Member
FRS aka BRZ is looking like a DSM world again and if they would bolt in a wrx engine in it then I would serious look into that b/c of the mods you could do with that...

Exactly! They dropped the ball with this one i feel. Its basically a Scion tC. There was so much potential there, and they didnt even try.

Fiveflat

Ready to race!
el oh el

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Exactly! They dropped the ball with this one i feel. Its basically a Scion tC. There was so much potential there, and they didnt even try.

With RWD, a lighter body and LSD.
Not exactly a scion TC which is basically a corolla.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
And a boxster Subaru motor which i bet will have a turbo kit developed almost instantly once it's released here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well arguably as is... the scion has a better motor with power power... :lol: which is the sad part.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How does a TC have a better motor and better power? The DI boxer engine in the FRS is rated at 200hp.

well the TC is at 180hp/173torque for some odd reason I thought it was at 200 also. :(

It gives up 20hp but it has 22 extra lb feet of torque, the BRZ is only at 151.