GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Performance Downpipe install issues

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Hey all,

I got an AWE performance DP used from a forum member here and just got it installed by a trusted shop. The dilemma is it came with no mounting bracket welded on. After getting it installed, there are pings and clanking noises i can now hear below me as I drive, as well as a noticeable vibration i've never had before. According to the previous owner, the AWE DP came like that when he purchased it, and his installed just fine without any noises or vibration. The shop claims the sounds and vibration are due to a lack of a mounting bracket.

His car is a mk6 GTI and mine is a mk6 GLI. Could that be it? I know the AWE DP is the same for GTI and GLI, though.

Some backstory to how I got to my situation: shortly after purchasing my Mk6 GLI in 2012, I had a friend help me install an SPM street DP. I remember him having issues with the top bolt, which was the main the reason the install took as long as it did. But alas, it got done and i've been happily driving it ever since.

Well this year, I was due for my first smog check since i bought the car brand new in 2012. I knew I wasn't going to pass the visual on the smog, so, I decided to pay a shop to swap my stock DP back on for smog purposes; I was willing to pay this time since the shop quoted me a very favorable rate compared to other shops; plus I wanted to get it done professionally to save time for myself. So I bring it in to the shop and they installed it. But it turns out that my friend had messed up the bolt pretty bad when he installed my SPM DP. The shop had a heck of a time getting it out. In any case, they were still successful, and I ultimately got my car smogged and passed with flying colors.

Since I knew I was going to pay them to install my SPM DP back on after I passed smog, I decided now would be an opportune time to get an AWE DP since that was my first choice six years ago, but I went with the SPM to save money. Fortunately, I found a really good deal on a used AWE DP so I then purchased a one from a forum member here.

I just got it installed again by same trusted shop, and it turns out that the DP has no mounting bracket welded onto it like the stock DP and my previous SPM DP. Additionally, they had issues with the top bolt again, and apparently it's got to the point that that thread is done for. So we decided to just bolt it on despite missing this top bolt, because the other three keeps it secure still, exhaust leak not withstanding.

But, I can now hear ping and clanking noises, especially upon starting the car and going from a complete stop. There's also a noticeable vibration that i've never heard/felt before with any of my previous downpipes.

I contacted the shop immediately and they said this is because there is no mounting bracket. However, I contacted the previous owner and he says it came like that and that his installed just fine without any noises.

Now, i'm in a dilemma. If this is because of the lack of the top bolt screwed on, then I have to buy another k03 stock turbo. If this is because of no mounting bracket, I don't know what to do because the AWE DP apparently came like that, according to the previous owner.

What are people's thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You've been duped, it should have the hanger bracket on it to hold it up/stabilize it:

I'd replace the 1 stripped stud on the turbo though & get that 4th nut on there to hold it down (it could be leaking there)

The downpipe metal might be pinging & making noise though, on it's own, that can happen.

But the vibrations are probably from it not being in the subframe mounting bracket, due to the lack of bracket on the downpipe

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
You've been duped, it should have the hanger bracket on it to hold it up/stabilize it:

I'd replace the 1 stripped stud on the turbo though & get that 4th nut on there to hold it down (it could be leaking there)

The downpipe metal might be pinging & making noise though, on it's own, that can happen.

But the vibrations are probably from it not being in the subframe mounting bracket, due to the lack of bracket on the downpipe

Thanks. Someone else on vwvortex said that theirs came with a support bracket that bolts on to the pipe. It has a tab with a bolt hole welded to the pipe with a separate piece that bolts to the pipe and attached into the support mount. Apparently, they've updated it since then, as per the photo you referenced.

So i'm resting my hope that AWE can send me a support bracket that it was originally supposed to come with. I'll have to weld something for that to connect to.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Another concern I have is if it's safe to be driving around like this for the next week until I can spare the time to get this rectified, with the necessary weld and install.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It could be fine, but also could be putting stress on the welds/flange/flex section & could crack/break. Again, it "could" happen

I'd say no to driving it, but if you don't have a choice....what can you do

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
I got this resolved today with a weld from the muffler shop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Good deal

Now get that stud removed/replaced!
Yes, thanks for the tips too. That's next on my priority

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk