GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #15
Shwizzle
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Mk6 gti
Umm both a pressure check takes literally 10 mins With car cold unscrew exp cap screw in adaptor and pump system to a few psi above spec. If pressure drops within 15 mins you have a leak and it should be visible. Sometimes water pumps can slightly leak but should still be visible I find them to leak easier with pressure applied and car running this way they tend to leak more so leak is easier to find. Yes once the part, wether it's the pump hose or whatever, should then be refilled with coolant and same test procedure repeated. With leaks the biggest leak shows first but that doesn't mean it's the only one. The largest leak will leak first. So smaller and more minor leaks will not be found until initial larger leak is repaired. Once problem is found and repaired make sure it is re pressure checked for any other leaks. If all else ok then bleed coolant system and your done. Chilton lists the labor rate for a coolant check at .3 of an hour which means if the labor rate is 100 per hour the nose it should cost is 30 bucks. At my shop I charge 35 for coolant system check this includes topping and bleeding coolant system, pressure checking system, diagnosing the leak, telling customer the problem and giving estimate for the repair
Shwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwizzle View Post
Umm both a pressure check takes literally 10 mins With car cold unscrew exp cap screw in adaptor and pump system to a few psi above spec. If pressure drops within 15 mins you have a leak and it should be visible. Sometimes water pumps can slightly leak but should still be visible I find them to leak easier with pressure applied and car running this way they tend to leak more so leak is easier to find. Yes once the part, wether it's the pump hose or whatever, should then be refilled with coolant and same test procedure repeated. With leaks the biggest leak shows first but that doesn't mean it's the only one. The largest leak will leak first. So smaller and more minor leaks will not be found until initial larger leak is repaired. Once problem is found and repaired make sure it is re pressure checked for any other leaks. If all else ok then bleed coolant system and your done. Chilton lists the labor rate for a coolant check at .3 of an hour which means if the labor rate is 100 per hour the nose it should cost is 30 bucks. At my shop I charge 35 for coolant system check this includes topping and bleeding coolant system, pressure checking system, diagnosing the leak, telling customer the problem and giving estimate for the repair

Well I just called and they said they are still hunting where my leak is. They said they did a pressure check and nothing showed up so they are still trying to find out where my coolant is going.
07stuntin6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Time to try another dealership unless you want to pay an independent shop. Most dealer techs are not very good. 30 years of work doesn't necessarily mean he's a pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #18
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
15k and coolant low

Yeah unfortunately it's under warranty and the other VW dealer only has an opening on Tuesday. So I'm hoping they get this fixed before next weekend because I go on leave for two weeks and have a wedding to attend.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
So I just got a call and they said it's leaking from the top of myyyyyyyy WATER PUMP love when I'm right. Said it is leaking and burning off that's why there isn't sign of dried coolant. So they said either Monday or Tuesday it will be ready. Plus....they didn't say anything about my mods
Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
skotcoop
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 4DR CW 2012 GTI 6SPD
Im at 12k and on the 3rd waterpump. First one was replaced at 1500 miles as noted on the carfax. 2nd one was at 11k after getting the car at 8900 miles. Do Audi's have this problem as well? I know bmw's tend to.
skotcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #21
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
I'm sure they do if they share the same engines.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #22
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Just got the car back with a new water pump. Not bad considering I dropped it off Thursday. Took them a day fix once they realized the issue was what I said it was lol
Old 07-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #23
Shwizzle
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Mk6 gti
GoOd glad your back up and running
Shwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #24
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Me too......my thought of this car being reliable isn't the same anymore lol