GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes still suck

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
# of piston does not a good braking system make....

No they don't, but the combination of solid mounted calipers, as opposed to the rubbery mounts with OEM single piston calipers, and even brake pressure over a wider pad area sure improve feel...:)

Deaks2

Ready to race!
I have two routes I'm considering to take.

OEM (F&R):
I have USP Lines
ATE Super Blue Fluid
Slotted Cryos
Pads.....I wouold love to get a really good set for the street that doest dust alot and can provide adequate bite
Tyrol Bushings

OEM+
Porsche Calipers Rebuilt
Derek's Mounting kit with lines and hardware
Cryo Slotted
Rear Stoptech Pads and OEM rotors

I dont want to go crazy on braking, but I NEED some pedal stiffness and bite.
For your OEM+ option I would look at the 6-pot Cayenne calipers. I did the math, and if you source everything from junk yards the cost difference between the 6-pot and 4-pot is not much, even if you re-use your stock GTI rotors for the 4-pot.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
For your OEM+ option I would look at the 6-pot Cayenne calipers. I did the math, and if you source everything from junk yards the cost difference between the 6-pot and 4-pot is not much, even if you re-use your stock GTI rotors for the 4-pot.

You sure? I did that math about 4 months ago and came with the other conclusion.

Plus 6pot is too much for the street. I'll look into it,

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This might do after I sort everything out. And it would be a little cheaper as I already have Neuspeed lines.

However, I read somewhere (I think mk5 forum) that the caliper bushings needed to be changed out seasonal. Thats why I did not go this route. Can anybody confirm this?

I've read that they need to be taken out to be cleaned and regreased, but nothing about replacing them.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
You sure? I did that math about 4 months ago and came with the other conclusion.

Plus 6pot is too much for the street. I'll look into it,
Boxster:
Calipers $300.00
Rotors $0
Pads $100.00
Hardware $250.00
Brakes lines $60.00
TOTAL $710.00

Cayenne
Calipers $400.00
Rotors $100.00
Pads $100.00
Hardware $100.00
Brakes lines $60.00
TOTAL $760.00

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Boxster:
Calipers $300.00
Rotors $0
Pads $100.00
Hardware $250.00
Brakes lines $60.00
TOTAL $710.00

Cayenne
Calipers $400.00
Rotors $100.00
Pads $100.00
Hardware $100.00
Brakes lines $60.00
TOTAL $760.00

Without any useful sources, I can only assume the numbers were pulled from a jar. I see a few discrepancies in the 4pot setup that would easily put it down below the Cayenne, but its still without rotors.

Where is the info about the cayenne setup?

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Without any useful sources, I can only assume the numbers were pulled from a jar. I see a few discrepancies in the 4pot setup that would easily put it down below the Cayenne, but its still without rotors.

Where is the info about the cayenne setup?
Boxster:
Calipers $300.00 (car-part.com)
Rotors $0
Pads $100.00 (local shop)
Hardware $250.00 (http://performance-diesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=31)
Brakes lines $60.00 (local shop)
TOTAL $710.00

Cayenne
Calipers $400.00 (car-part.com)
Rotors $100.00 (car-part.com)
Pads $100.00 (local shop)
Hardware $100.00 (http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catal....html?osCsid=1ede1644950e51d3963aa8ba08956a91 and local shop for hub centric rings)
Brakes lines $60.00 (local shop)
TOTAL $760.00

Satisfied?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^that. Derek's kit on MK5 is around the same price and he pieces it all together and can make them any finish you want, and keep the PORSCHE on their or do BREMBO.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion

Deaks2

Ready to race!
White calipers would look amazing on my car :wub:
You forgot about the brake dust :p

My front calipers are pink while the rears are still red. Track sessions fade the paint...

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
You forgot about the brake dust :p

My front calipers are pink while the rears are still red. Track sessions fade the paint...

Did you try cleaning them? My front were pink for the longest time until I changed out my pads/lines and cleaned my calipers. They're bright red again. As of brake dust on white calipers...yes totally agree. It'll just make me wash my car weekly then ;)

crew219

Banned
Forge BBK. (except that they are not red)

Hyde (Ryan) is going to have them soon and you are going to want them.
They have a new 'slotted only' disc design and they will be very competitively priced.

Racingbrake > Forge

Buy from a company that actually specializes in making brake products vs a company who private labels asian knockoff bbks.

Dave

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Racingbrake > Forge

Buy from a company that actually specializes in making brake products vs a company who private labels asian knockoff bbks.

Dave