GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #183
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
Never noticed you didn't have a short-shifter yet. Did you give a thought to the Dieselgeek SS? I ran the Neuspeed SS for some time, but the Dieselgeek is just so much more positive (and shorter) in its action!

I am sure the S3 shifter would retain that OEM feeling of "slotting into" gates, rather than the slight notchiness in Dieselgeek. But for me, the dieselgeek with my weighted shift-knob is just the perfect setup
I researched a lot of them and read many posts before deciding on the S3 shifter. The two reasons that persuaded me was the OEM feel and just the fact its an Audi OEM part and secondly that I didn't want something with too many options/adjustments.

I'm still waiting on my S-Line shift knob to show up from Hungary, but will soon complete this with that OEM knob as well. Should be a nice setup!
__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #184
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver
 
dafuture's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWalGTI View Post
I researched a lot of them and read many posts before deciding on the S3 shifter. The two reasons that persuaded me was the OEM feel and just the fact its an Audi OEM part and secondly that I didn't want something with too many options/adjustments.

I'm still waiting on my S-Line shift knob to show up from Hungary, but will soon complete this with that OEM knob as well. Should be a nice setup!
I definitely get that. My DG had to be adjusted about 2-3 times, and I still do't think it's perfect. Definitely curious how the S3 feels in comparison.
__________________
GIAC Stage 204 | Neuspeed | H&R | VWR | Tyrolsport | Dieselgeek | AWE Tuning | OEM+ | My Build
dafuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #185
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
I definitely get that. My DG had to be adjusted about 2-3 times, and I still do't think it's perfect. Definitely curious how the S3 feels in comparison.
I just realized after rereading my post, that I didnt actually upgrade the shifter bushing itself. I upgraded the bracket bushings with the billet versions from 034 Motorsport. I see 42DD makes an actual bushing kit for the linkage itself, so I guess there is even more room for slight improvement, although this feels great already. I might as well try the 42DD bushings because I will need to tear apart the driver side engine bay again to do my trans mount install. Guess I didnt think my install schedule through. Doh!
__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #186
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWalGTI View Post
I just realized after rereading my post, that I didnt actually upgrade the shifter bushing itself. I upgraded the bracket bushings with the billet versions from 034 Motorsport. I see 42DD makes an actual bushing kit for the linkage itself, so I guess there is even more room for slight improvement, although this feels great already. I might as well try the 42DD bushings because I will need to tear apart the driver side engine bay again to do my trans mount install. Guess I didnt think my install schedule through. Doh!
Yep, the 42DD bushings are worth it! I had them on when I was running the Neuspeed SS. They will get rid of some of that mushy feeling.
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #187
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Todays install: Unibrace UB

Hoping between this and the Tyrolsport Stage2 hatch brace I'm waiting on, the car will firm up proper.

The UB is a beautiful piece, that's for sure. I may go ahead and order the RB as well, for completionist sake.

__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI

Last edited by SoWalGTI; 02-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #188
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWalGTI View Post
Todays install: Unibrace UB

Hoping between this and the Tyrolsport Stage2 hatch brace I'm waiting on, the car will firm up proper.

The UB is a beautiful piece, that's for sure. I may go ahead and order the RB as well, for completionist sake.
Yep, it is a beautiful piece! I am waiting on my Tyrolsport hatch-brace to arrive as we speak. Hoping it will pair well with the UB
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #189
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Installed TyrolSport Stage2 hatch bracing today. What a perfect fit this item was. Love how it can easily be removed in an minute and didn't require any drilling. Install is so clean and OEM like. I opted for black bars for the stealth look.

__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #190
Soflodon
Drag Race Newbie
 
Soflodon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Golf GTI
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Miami
Posts: 45
Man your build is the truth


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soflodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #191
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWalGTI View Post
Installed TyrolSport Stage2 hatch bracing today. What a perfect fit this item was. Love how it can easily be removed in an minute and didn't require any drilling. Install is so clean and OEM like. I opted for black bars for the stealth look.

I received mine yesterday. Hoping to install it asap! Hope you are liking it
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #192
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
I received mine yesterday. Hoping to install it asap! Hope you are liking it
Deep, as usual...TWINS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflodon View Post
Man your build is the truth


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Appreciate that!
__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #193
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWalGTI View Post
Deep, as usual...TWINS!
Haha, need I mention I got the black-coated one too Anyways, your car is definitely an example of how to do modding right

Just watched the install video. Did you have to cut the trim to put it back in place?
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram

Last edited by deep.mit; 12-16-2016 at 03:55 AM.
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #194
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Haven't done much to the car lately, as I've been searching for a JSW for a daily. Once I have the new wagon, the GTI will get some major mods to get it where I want it to be. So far, I've got the following waiting:
  • Wavetrac LSD
  • SuperPro control arms
  • 034 Motorsport engine/trans mounts

and will be ordering the following for a major summer overhaul.
  • Bilstein PSS Coilovers
  • TyrolSport deadset kits (front & rear)
  • AquaMist water/meth setup
  • Golf R rear brake setup

Really looking forward to having the wagon for carrying my surfboards and kids around town and letting the GTI get built proper and driven sparingly.
__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #195
senseless1707
Touring Car Newbie
 
senseless1707's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 201
Loving the updates you have planned. Just picked up some ST coilovers for mine. Will be getting some new rubber for my wheels as well for the summer. Can't wait!

__________________
My 2014 CW Build Thread
senseless1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #196
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
SoWalGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Posts: 514
Got an updated tune from Unitronic with some minor adjustments to rectify an issue I was having. The problem I would have was between 3rd and 4th gear shifts under heavy load. The car was losing all power unless I lifted my foot off accelerator and depressed again.

The throttle body plate wasn't reacting fast enough. A couple tweaks from John at Unitronic and the issue is fixed. Feels good to hammer through the gears again
__________________
'12 CW, K04, Manual, Stock+. View my build thread | Instagram: SoWalGTI
SoWalGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.