GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to remove Grille to replace front VW emblem?

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
I've actually ended up breaking two emblems from trying to turn the emblem. IDK if the 2012 grille is any different. needless to say, I don;t think it's worth it.

booini

Passed Driver's Ed
I only managed to removed the grille, but is struggling to perform Step No.2

will try again later LOL

LOL I'm stuck at ste 2 also - #4 AND #5 are easy - pushing the net, and releasing the clips - got that... no problem...

But the twisting the emblem aint happening.

At first I was cautiously twisting lightly to not break anything, later (out of frustration) I gave it some whack... That bad boy isn't budging.

I was hopign to take some detailed step-by-step photos to be more helpful than anything else out there so far, but that's not looking good at this rate!

:mad0259:

FiGGy77

Ready to race!
twisting the emblem is near impossible. after some hours spent and careful examination, it's not coming off unless you break something. not sure how y'all twisted it w/o anything breaking. i had to take everything apart just to get it off. i have some photos. i'll post later

Wheat

Passed Driver's Ed
Put your fingers in the emblem, and turn slighty clockwise. To put back new one repeat the same steps but counter clockwise. No need to remove the grill.

You actualy twist it counter clockwise to take it off, if your facing the front of the car that is. Just be carefull and you can do it without breaking anything.

booini

Passed Driver's Ed
You actualy twist it counter clockwise to take it off, if your facing the front of the car that is. Just be carefull and you can do it without breaking anything.

Since a lot of people seem to find simply twisting the front emblem off near impossible - could someone who has accomplished this please take a video showing how it's done?

It would apparently help a lot of people!

I gave up and removed the grille, masked out the emblem, and plasti-dipped the front this weekend.

I don't LOVE my results, so I'll be reapplying next weekend... but if I could do it by twisting out the front emblem it would be a much neater finish.

Cloudburn

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up having to take the whole grille off. It took like 30 minutes to finally get to it but heres what the actual clips look like on the back of the emblem

I had to use a flathead to get under the clip (green) to pry it up and over the red part. And it took 5 seconds to put the emblem back on...

marylandgti

Passed Driver's Ed
No clue how you guy got the front grill to come off, maybe they changed something on the 12 but it's not moving. Does anyone have any good pics of the back of the grill. Don't realy want to have the dealership have to take it off.

fahrvergnuugen

Passed Driver's Ed
No clue how you guy got the front grill to come off, maybe they changed something on the 12 but it's not moving. Does anyone have any good pics of the back of the grill. Don't realy want to have the dealership have to take it off.

On my '12, two of the three clips that hold the emblem in are melted flat. You have to remove the whole grille and then dremel the melted plastic out.

This explains it: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?3085-DIY-Replace-the-Front-VW-emblem-of-Mk-6-Golf-R

h0rde

Getting the front grill out (on my 2012 TDI at least) was a total pain. It took probably 10 minutes of me tugging in most imaginable ways before finally it came out. I wish I knew what particular way I moved it to get it free, but I have no idea... just keep at it and don't pull too hard; it'll come out eventually.

PLAY_HRD

Passed Driver's Ed
F'n CLUE!!! I hate the front grill emblem and hood design, makes the car look like it has a big shinny nose. I decided to help reduce the eye soar by replacing the chrome style VW emblem with a gloss black one.(To match the rest on the grill) After 30 min of turning and pulling I finally took the whole grill off. CLUE all over the lower two "clips"! Seriously VW? How lame! So I busted out my Dremel an went to town. Take that VW!

JS12

Ready to race!
On my '12, two of the three clips that hold the emblem in are melted flat. You have to remove the whole grille and then dremel the melted plastic out.

I recently did this on my '12 and I fortunately did not have to deal with melted clips. I believe the build date on my car was April 2012.

Disassembling the grille was still far more work that I would have preferred and I don't see how I could have removed the badge without taking the grill off, unless I didn't care about breaking the clips.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Just finished working on this, removing the actual grille from the car is relatively easy, but removing them emblem is an incredibly hard job - very destructive process even with a dremel...Damn VW for so much glue in the badge clips...
Not feeling too good about it, but the new glossy badge is on...

Last edited: