GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why are GTI's/Golfs cheaper in America?

afctom

Ready to race!
I got my 2013 Wolfsburg for under $22k before taxes with 11 miles on it. It doesn't have the upgraded radio, but I found that thing obnoxious when test driving the autobahn edition at night. I also found the cloth seats more comfortable than the leather seats, and I could care less about the lights. Getting an Intake, DP, tune and DG springs and holding off until 3/36 is up. The biggest difference in price is the VAT though, we don't have VAT here... yet...

I am so jealous... 22k us dollars is about what I paid for my 1.4 tsi!!

And you're right, plaid cloth seats are much better then leather! Good luck with the mods

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
US gets everything cheaper. Not really sure how it works, but we do. But I do believe that they do make up the savings in options. I mean, hell, Canada is paying the same prices you are and they are our neighbor.

Nick@ferrarafirearms

Passed Driver's Ed
US gets everything cheaper. Not really sure how it works, but we do. But I do believe that they do make up the savings in options. I mean, hell, Canada is paying the same prices you are and they are our neighbor.

Canada has a VAT too! They just call it something else. Really, we get taxed hard, but the super progressive countries really get boned. I could buy a new GTI EVERY MONTH for the checks I write to the government (local, state and Federal) and I really don't make that much money. I couldn't imagine living in a country where a VAT was on everything. We do have a VAT on some items, the government likes to call them Excise taxes...

The Government makes more money a month than I do off my business... but back to the topic, the prices is in the VAT, Canada up to 15%, Europe has some countries with VAT over 20%

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Wouldn't have thought economies of scale would come into it when the market for golfs in Europe is bigger?

Anyway, nice to see another gooner!

Yeah but Europe is not a country. All of those countries have there own import taxes and VAT taxes and a fraction of the population has the income compared to the US. The US has one of the highest per capita personal income rates and has 317 million people. So, the manufacturers are all vying for our money and market share. The result is competitive pricing and lower margins on each car. They profit less on more cars.

Up the gunners!

afctom

Ready to race!
Yeah but Europe is not a country. All of those countries have there own import taxes and VAT taxes and a fraction of the population has the income compared to the US. The US has one of the highest per capita personal income rates and has 317 million people. So, the manufacturers are all vying for our money and market share. The result is competitive pricing and lower margins on each car. They profit less on more cars.

Up the gunners!

Yeah I guess so. Just confused me when you think a lot of US models are made/imported from Germany and are still able to be offered at that much lower price.

afctom

Ready to race!
Buy a used one here and export it? But it will be a left hooker.

I'd love a left hand drive car, but it would be pretty pointless importing a GTI, would cost like 3/4k? and then aren't there tests and stuff that you need to do to make it road legal. Oh and those annoying side markers :thumbdown:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Taxes. A Corvette costs it's $ equivalent in British Pounds so it isn't an "Americans are getting charged less"...it's "Europeans are getting taxed a lot." Same reason you guys have amazing used car bargains: the long-term tax and running costs make them bad buys. I pay $50/year to license my car. Try that in England