GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Stage 2 Dyno'd, not sure about the outcome

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
yeah but thats not a pump file theyre getting that power on

I posted the 91 octane GIAC Stage 2 dyno here, and it's about 15hp and 30 ftlbs down from the clutch buster dynos. That all still matches.

Also, just did some testing on my lunch:

80 degrees ambient
120-125 degrees intake temp
14.2psi peak
180 g/s maf reading

I'm not familiar with boost leaks, would a boost leak consistently allow peak boost numbers to be the same? I very very consistently see 14-14.5 psi peaks on my gauge, with 22" of vacuum at idle hot.

Pretty confident I got flashed to Stage 1 again and not Stage 2 when I got my downpipe installed at this point...

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
Wheels like how? They are bolted on!

The AWE is a vacuum controlled DV, but it recircs just like factory.

no lol, in a sense of the size, rotating mass blah blah stuff

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I posted the 91 octane GIAC Stage 2 dyno here, and it's about 15hp and 30 ftlbs down from the clutch buster dynos. That all still matches.

Also, just did some testing on my lunch:

80 degrees ambient
120-125 degrees intake temp
14.2psi peak
180 g/s maf reading

I'm not familiar with boost leaks, would a boost leak consistently allow peak boost numbers to be the same? I very very consistently see 14-14.5 psi peaks on my gauge, with 22" of vacuum at idle hot.

Pretty confident I got flashed to Stage 1 again and not Stage 2 when I got my downpipe installed at this point...

might sound silly, but were they running a fan in front of your car while they did the dyno. could be you were heat soaking like a mofo

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
no lol, in a sense of the size, rotating mass blah blah stuff

Oh, my wheel and tire combo is within two pounds of the factory Mallorys and tires. Not lightweight by any means but no worse boat anchors. Don't think that could contribute to THAT much difference if any.

Just contacted the shop that did my downpipe and tune last to get his opinion. There were some issues getting the ECU flashed, but after I left the car ran great so I didn't see a reason to worry.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
might sound silly, but were they running a fan in front of your car while they did the dyno. could be you were heat soaking like a mofo

The guys at AU are pretty good with their dyno, I do see a lot of power dropping off up top, but I can't believe they would get solid dyno numbers with other guys and just WHOOPS forget the fan on my runs. Raz even told me on the way out he didn't think it was heat soak because the fans are always going. Also, most Stage 2 dynos I've seen/posted have been stock IC.

Also to the wheels, totally didn't think about AU Tunings dyno being hub driven, so there weren't any wheels on the front of the car when it was dyno'd :D

Last edited:

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
May I ask how much the dyno run(s) costed you?

I wanna get mine done at AU as well. I'm curious to know how much power in putting down.

Muerte_X

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you adjusting for atmospheric pressure within the torque app? I was getting numbers that were super high before I did that.

That said, I've never seen below 15psi when I use the torque app when stage 2, even before i had the clutchbuster. I know it's not directly comparable since boost can vary on these cars under a lot of different conditions, but the numbers you say you have are like my stage 1 numbers.

The torque is really low, did they dyno it in the right gear? I'm assuming the operator knows what they're doing, but maybe you can ask them if they have any files for other GTI's with similar setups and see how it compares?

But assuming the guy knows what he's doing on the dyno, and that you don't have a boost leak or an issue with your MAF sensor. It honestly sounds like they didn't actually flash your car to stage 2. Did you feel a difference over stage 1? When I went from 1 to 2, it was immediately apparent how much easier the turbo spooled and how it felt in power. When I did the clutchbuster update, it was actually pretty surprising how big of a difference I felt.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
May I ask how much the dyno run(s) costed you?

I wanna get mine done at AU as well. I'm curious to know how much power in putting down.

They charged me $90, which I believe is their standard rate for 3 runs. If they are doing a dyno day it might be different. Contact them through their website form, they'll help you out. Great guys.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Are you adjusting for atmospheric pressure within the torque app? I was getting numbers that were super high before I did that.

That said, I've never seen below 15psi when I use the torque app when stage 2, even before i had the clutchbuster. I know it's not directly comparable since boost can vary on these cars under a lot of different conditions, but the numbers you say you have are like my stage 1 numbers.

The torque is really low, did they dyno it in the right gear? I'm assuming the operator knows what they're doing, but maybe you can ask them if they have any files for other GTI's with similar setups and see how it compares?

But assuming the guy knows what he's doing on the dyno, and that you don't have a boost leak or an issue with your MAF sensor. It honestly sounds like they didn't actually flash your car to stage 2. Did you feel a difference over stage 1? When I went from 1 to 2, it was immediately apparent how much easier the turbo spooled and how it felt in power. When I did the clutchbuster update, it was actually pretty surprising how big of a difference I felt.

Torque app is set to -14.6 correction, which is mostly right for my local altitude. I set it wrong once and it was reporting in the 20s, never had a problem since it was set like this.

I'm going to assume that everything on the dyno was done correctly, I have faith in AU.

I have no fault codes, my MAF g/s reads good (175-180g/s, not the 200+ I've seen reported on stage 2). Barring a boost leak I'm leaning towards a flash issue.

When I first got the car back it was different because of the downpipe, and I could swear I was getting some traction loss at the top of second that had never been there. Not night and day different, but I felt there was a difference. Now a stage 1 tune with a downpipe would net a gain, but not much. I could have just been feeling that.

Waiting to hear back from the shop that tuned my car to see what he thinks. I've had so much trouble with tunes and my car, this would be icing on top.:mad:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Just a bit of a follow up, I spent some time last weekend going through the car and swapping the aftermarket TOP back to the stock pipe. It was 106 degrees out so the car felt like a slug BUT this week I've been seeing peaks of 17psi and the car is running great.

If I had a boost leak, my guess it was a small one and was only really leaking at pressures above 14psi. That makes sense looking at the dyno, because where the turbo would make it's highest boost (2500-4500 rpm) it's pretty rough.

I was told by Thomas at Emanuelle who did my stage 2 tune that he has seen lower pressure on stage 2 tunes for DSG cars before, so I'm feeling a bit better that everything is right. Just have to figure out timing now to get in for a reflash to the updated 204 file with E85 blend race mode.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
Yeah at that temp it's heat soaking. Also why your car doesn't feel that powerful