GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to stay happy with MkVI until MKVIII?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
What are we really looking at for the mk8? I feel like it's going to be such a babysitter car, way too many smart features, not enough drivability. It's probably going to have too much going on with the design too but getting farther away from the simple hatch look

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
What are we really looking at for the mk8? I feel like it's going to be such a babysitter car, way too many smart features, not enough drivability. It's probably going to have too much going on with the design too but getting farther away from the simple hatch look

Certainly possible. The Porsche Cayman I drove recently felt way over engineered with all the sport modes and stability controls. Add features like lane-change assist and forward collision avoidance and all the other things they are using to sell cars to the masses these days and much of the fun gets sucked out.

I think that without a K04 I'd have gotten bored so quickly.

I have been able to last over 6 years without the k04. Maybe if the MkVIII is garbage, I would do it then and keep the GTI. Or maybe now. We'll see once I start pricing things out. Thanks!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Wait, did I just read that there is an O2 sensor on the stock IHI turbo? And that swapping from IHI to K04 on a CBFA engine code would be a problem? Maybe I'm confused.

I'd like clarification as I am CBFA engine code and have an APR CBFA downpipe right now and would like to go K04 in the future.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Certainly possible. The Porsche Cayman I drove recently felt way over engineered with all the sport modes and stability controls. Add features like lane-change assist and forward collision avoidance and all the other things they are using to sell cars to the masses these days and much of the fun gets sucked out.

I have been able to last over 6 years without the k04. Maybe if the MkVIII is garbage, I would do it then and keep the GTI. Or maybe now. We'll see once I start pricing things out. Thanks!

Yes exactly. A ton of extra $ goes into all of these add on and features... Not only does it add weight and keep you from being able to have unadulterated fun but it takes $ out of brake ssupension and engine to keep price down

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
^ I was just telling a buddy that I would have sold the car a long time ago if I didn't decide to put a k04 on.

I think that without a K04 I'd have gotten bored so quickly.

agreed. I almost traded it in several times before the k04. Now Ill keep it til it dies and even after that probably.

dead_catz

Ready to race!
The mk6 is the perfect DD, worth practically nothing, quick, fun, and somewhat good mpg.

Add onto your garage, buy cayman, and DD mk6!

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Track it, Autox it. Once you track it and see how much more capable your car is than some of the higher end cars you'll love it once again. And driving at the track is plain addicting and so much fun!

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
Add onto your garage, buy cayman, and DD mk6!

I have an RV in addition to my GTI and my wife has her car. A fourth car is not possible at this time.

Once you track it and see how much more capable your car is than some of the higher end cars you'll love it once again. And driving at the track is plain addicting and so much fun!

I have tracked it and found that I was NOT as capable as other cars, though to be honest, it was my first time at the track. The second time was better but there is room for improvement both in the car and the driver. I am fortunate to live within two hours of several awesome racetracks.

Put some (more) stickers on it?

Like this one? :lol:

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
IF VW only brings in a 5 Door Hatchback for the MKVIII R, I'm saving my money and getting a TTRS. If I want a 4 Door Car, I'll drive my wife's CC.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I have tracked it and found that I was NOT as capable as other cars, though to be honest, it was my first time at the track. The second time was better but there is room for improvement both in the car and the driver. I am fortunate to live within two hours of several awesome racetracks.

Been tracking my gti for a few years now, in my opinion they "can" be better than a lot of other cars but ONLY after you do all the suspension things including bushings. In stock form I don't know how a lot of people are tracking them. Understeer pigs without the suspension components.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Looking to do my first autox of my life with this Gti this coming weekend.... as it snows about a foot out there right now...

I think I will find out fast that this thing needs a rear sway bar

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
I think you might want to add some convenience features and cosmetic items as well?
RLS sensor (w new windshield)
Euro cup holder
Euro LED tails
Front OEM lip
Puddle lights
Euro horn for lock confirmation