GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Cup kit installation kit

Korydogg

Ready to race!
I'm gonna be ordering the Bilstein cup kit in the next couple of days and want to make sure I have everything on hand to complete the install in an afternoon.

I see that ECS offers an install kit made up of tools and parts that they say is beneficial to the install.

Anyone here think this kit is necessary? its roughly $200 and seems like it offers everything I need. I know I'm going to be buying a spring compressor and spreader tool. Do I need everything else?

I don't mind spending the money because I like to make sure I do a quality installation......but wanna see if any other members here have any experience with this kit. The link is below. Thanks in advance!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...sockets-and-spring-compressors/1k0412331bkt9/

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
It's all necessary, but ECS's strut mounts are garbage. Mine squeaked like crazy from the moment I installed them, and I've seen similar feedback for them here. There's no reason to get them over OEM. Some people say that Audi TT mounts are an upgrade, but I don't have any experience with that.

You can probably get the tools cheaper on amazon, too.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
To piggy back the guy above I think the consensus is go with the 034 strut mounts. Then u can break down the parts list of the kit and get all the bolts and tools separately.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I'd be pissed if I bought that kit thinking it's everything. You also need a m6 triple square which they don't include to remove the oem endlink.

This. Forgot about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I do suspension installs for tons of people on this platform... you 100% do not need spring compressors. Save your money and just buy the parts and hardware. You need a set of triple squares, wrenches, a big deadblow hammer, and a strut spreader tool. Nothing else.

I found spring compressors made my life a bit easier with the OEM springs that are huge compared to lowering springs or coilovers. Autozone still rents compressors for free, just a deposit and then get it back when you return. Borrowed a set many times now.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I found spring compressors made my life a bit easier with the OEM springs that are huge compared to lowering springs or coilovers. Autozone still rents compressors for free, just a deposit and then get it back when you return. Borrowed a set many times now.

Take the three bolts out of the lower control arm and the strut has PLENTY of room to get out without using them. A few taps with the deadblow and it's out. Give it a try and thank me later.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
https://www.shopdap.com/mk6-gti-golf-suspension-hardware-install-kit.html

^^ buy this kit and get 034 strut mounts. You can get spring compressors from anywhere.

Thanks. That seems to be the way to go. I didn't realize that I needed to even replace any of that. Glad I have the resources here to steer me in the right direction.

Whats the part number for the Bilstein kit you're using? I was looking for the B12 kit for the GTI and I dont see it anywhere. they have one for the jetta and tdi but I cant find the GTI one.

https://www.europaparts.com/strut-mount-8j0412331.html

by the way this is the TT style strut mount

I found it on ECS:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein-parts/vw-golf-vi-5k1-k-b12-sl/46-188069~bil/

Take the three bolts out of the lower control arm and the strut has PLENTY of room to get out without using them. A few taps with the deadblow and it's out. Give it a try and thank me later.

Ill prolly give this a try. I'm all about simplicity.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Ok guys so let me get this straight....along with the coils and struts that come in the Bilstein kit, I am also going to need to order front strut mounts and all new hardware? What about the rear spring perches? What about strut mount bearings?

Obviously I can see the benefits of replacing these pieces, but why cant I just use the old strut mounts and rear spring perches?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
There's no reason you can't use your old stuff, it's just probably worn out. If you get it all back together and your old mounts and bearings start squeaking and grinding, you have to do the entire job over again. So unless you have insanely low mileage on your current parts, it makes sense to go ahead and replace it all while you're in there.

Plus it's easier to use all new mounts, bearings, bump stops, and dust boots because you can build the new strut assembly before you start the job, and just swap it in without taking the old one apart.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
^^^ all that. I change my suspension every 6 months or so. New parts every time.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
There's no reason you can't use your old stuff, it's just probably worn out. If you get it all back together and your old mounts and bearings start squeaking and grinding, you have to do the entire job over again. So unless you have insanely low mileage on your current parts, it makes sense to go ahead and replace it all while you're in there.

Plus it's easier to use all new mounts, bearings, bump stops, and dust boots because you can build the new strut assembly before you start the job, and just swap it in without taking the old one apart.

Ok got it. Mine has 60K miles on it....so I cant imagine its worn out but I can see why it makes sense that i'd replace that stuff with the suspension kit.

^^^ all that. I change my suspension every 6 months or so. New parts every time.

Every six months? That seems a bit excessive to me....IMO. How much does that cost you?