GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***** Golf R General/Technical Information *****

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
There are a lot of questions lately about general info about the Golf R and I thought it would be nice to have a sticky to accommodate these needs. I have complied a bunch of information together and linked files that Golf R owners should have. If there is anything that I missed or should be added/deleted please either PM me or post a reply and I will update the OP.

By no means am I an expert on the Golf R or any VW platform for that matter; Im just a happy first time VW owner trying to give back to the community!

Copy/Paste from Wikipedia:

There was much speculation about this vehicle, with uncertainly surrounding its name. Golf R20 was the most common name used prior to the Frankfurt Motor Show. Once finally unveiled by Volkswagen at the Frankfurt IAA, on 15 September 2009, it was confirmed the R32 replacement would simply be called the Golf R.

The Golf R is powered by a 2.0-litre FSI turbocharged engine that produces 199 kW (271 PS) and 350 N·m (260 lb·ft) of torque. VW claims the car can get from 0–100 km/h in 5.5 seconds for DSG equipped models, or 5.7 seconds for cars fitted with a manual gearbox.

The Golf R EA113 Engine features these main upgrades over the standard FSI EA888 engine:

• Lower compression forged pistons
  • Strengthened connecting rods
  • Enlarged wrist pins
  • Stronger piston rings
  • Upgraded bearings
  • Reinforced engine block
  • Upgraded camshafts (longer duration)
  • Upgraded injectors (+13% flow)
  • Larger K04 turbo producing 1.2 bar of boost (+3 PSI over K03 equipped GTI)
  • Larger intercooler (+30%)
  • Relocated bypass valve

The Golf R employs a familiar, but revised (4th generation) Haldex 4motion all-wheel drive system.

The Golf R has many similar styling traits to its Scirocco R sibling and is the first Golf to have LED rear tail lights factory fitted. (Europe only)

In Australia, Japan and South Africa the Golf R engine is detuned to suit hotter climate conditions. It is detuned from 199 kW (271 PS; 267 bhp) to 188 kW (256 PS; 252 bhp) and 350 N·m (260 lb·ft) to 330 N·m (240 lb·ft).

On 9 December 2010, Volkswagen announced that the Golf R will be available in the United States beginning 2012. Both two- and four-door versions will be offered, although the DSG transmission will not be an option. Pricing, exact product naming, and options have not yet been announced. US Golf R version features a slightly detuned engine producing 191 kW (256 hp) and 243 lb·ft (329 N·m). The North American version also shipped with incandescent tail lights, identical to the ones found on the GTI, instead of the LED tail lights used in the rest of the world.

On 14 December 2010, Volkswagen of Canada announced that the Golf R will be available in Canada beginning in "early" 2012. Only a four-door version with six-speed manual transmission will be offered. Four colours of the GTI will be available plus the R-exclusive "Rising Blue". All options are pre-selected including navigation, sun roof, leather interior, and "Kessy keyless entry".

Sales Numbers (as of 01 August 2013) SOURCE

The below years do NOT denote MY, just simply calendar year.

2012 Sold - 3894
2013 Sold - 1305
Total Sold - 5199

Be sure to register your R HERE!!!

Valuable files to have:

Golf R Owners Group (Facebook)

Last edited: