GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wilwood Big Brake Kit

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
it's the 330mm, iirc. it's on tirerack's site. free shipping, cos is around $1700 or so. Stoptech's ST40 (which I had for a while) 328mm 2pc rotor kit is usually around $1800-$2000.

Any complains with the stoptechs?

I only use my car for DD, but I feel like the brakes wouldn't save me in a dangerous situation, since the car accelerates much quicker now....

I did street performance pads and slotted rotors, but still not enough..

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I only sold the ST40's because I wasn't tracking as much and would rather had the money at the time. They are a great kit. They got a little weathered from our winters here, and perhaps may not have held up as well (finish wise only, not mechanically) as Brembos, but I have no proof of that. I also took them through a super high quality and pressurized car wash every week or so, which may have had something to do with that as well, lol.

I have considered getting the 1pc brembo setup that is a little heavier and cheaper, but i think they are even easier to change pads on the fly since there is no other torx or whatever additional bolt the ST40's have compared to the Brembos. It's not a big deal at all, its just im not mechanically inclined, so the easier the better for me, lol.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
What's the diff between Stop tech's st-40 and the st-41? Looks like they are the same specs 328mm and 4 piston?

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Would these work with stock Detroit's?

I will be trying these with my detritus. Hopefully next friday if I can take off from work to do the brakes. If they don't fit I will be putting on my winter wheels early which should fit. I'll let you know.

Also yeah the brembos are nice I have the boxster setup but I never put it on. My boss has wilwoods on his fiat and likes them a lot. He has said they are a common upgrade and people seem to be happy with them. Considering the wilwood setup is about half the price I'm willing to try them.

Last edited:

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I will be trying these with my detritus. Hopefully next friday if I can take off from work to do the brakes. If they don't fit I will be putting on my winter wheels early which should fit. I'll let you know.

Also yeah the brembos are nice I have the boxster setup but I never put it on. My boss has wilwoods on his fiat and likes them a lot. He has said they are a common upgrade and people seem to be happy with them. Considering the wilwood setup is about half the price I'm willing to try them.

That would be so sweet..please let me know how they turn out and any pictures you might be willing to share. Cheers

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Do these have weather seals? I had 4 pot wilwoods on my civic SI that did not and they started squeeking after about 10k miles and needed to get rebuilt after 2 years.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
Let me see if I can answer some questions as well. They do not have dust boots on the pistons. I have around 20k miles on my kit and have not had a single issue. Anything that's happened has been my idiocy.

I've had these at the track a few times and they've performed very well. They've been through a bad winter as well. Everything is holding up well.

I'm not sure what shims you guys are talking about. Shims on pads are only for noise. I just put on my Hawk HPS pads today without shims and they have been noise free so far. So I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping these will be the pads to go with. They're cheaper than the Wilwoods and the performance seemed to be a little better.

Wilwood has been around for a long time and makes full-on race kits so there's some good history there. I don't doubt they'll be reliable. As I said, after 20k miles everything is holding up.

Parts have not been an issue. I had to get a brake line (my fault), some brackets that go on the caliper (my fault again) and a bleeder valve (again, my fault). Everything was ordered through Summit without an issue.

I don't know about the Detroits. I have a friend that has this kit, but he hasn't used the Detroits with them and mine are long gone. I'll look around the site for a cut-out. With that said, I have 18x8.5 45ET wheels on my car and they're fine.

Pads. All the major performance brands make them. I've checked with Pagid, Carbotech, EBC, Hawk, and Porterfield and they all make pads for the kit.

Install is straightforward and easy. You'll need a torque wrench and some 12-point SAE sockets. All the hardware on the kit is SAE-sized.

I miss anything?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
What's the diff between Stop tech's st-40 and the st-41? Looks like they are the same specs 328mm and 4 piston?

I think the 41's may be bigger, but not sure. Their site should indicate the model differences.

Sounds like Brembo is the only way to go for a 100% OEM quality BBK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoptech is right there as well. Can't go wrong with either.

Do these have weather seals? I had 4 pot wilwoods on my civic SI that did not and they started squeeking after about 10k miles and needed to get rebuilt after 2 years.

yikes.

Let me see if I can answer some questions as well. They do not have dust boots on the pistons. I have around 20k miles on my kit and have not had a single issue. Anything that's happened has been my idiocy.

I've had these at the track a few times and they've performed very well. They've been through a bad winter as well. Everything is holding up well.

I'm not sure what shims you guys are talking about. Shims on pads are only for noise. I just put on my Hawk HPS pads today without shims and they have been noise free so far. So I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping these will be the pads to go with. They're cheaper than the Wilwoods and the performance seemed to be a little better.

Wilwood has been around for a long time and makes full-on race kits so there's some good history there. I don't doubt they'll be reliable. As I said, after 20k miles everything is holding up.

Parts have not been an issue. I had to get a brake line (my fault), some brackets that go on the caliper (my fault again) and a bleeder valve (again, my fault). Everything was ordered through Summit without an issue.

I don't know about the Detroits. I have a friend that has this kit, but he hasn't used the Detroits with them and mine are long gone. I'll look around the site for a cut-out. With that said, I have 18x8.5 45ET wheels on my car and they're fine.

Pads. All the major performance brands make them. I've checked with Pagid, Carbotech, EBC, Hawk, and Porterfield and they all make pads for the kit.

Install is straightforward and easy. You'll need a torque wrench and some 12-point SAE sockets. All the hardware on the kit is SAE-sized.

I miss anything?

awesome, thank you.

yes, VMR wheels fit over just about all BBKs, lol. so big!

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
Yeah man, the VMRs were better spaced then my previous wheels with the same specs! I didn't get it.

When comparison shopping keep in mind that the Wilwoods are six-piston calipers, two-piece rotors, and include lines.

I looked at the Stoptechs, too. I almost pulled the trigger, but the price on the Wilwood kit was too good to pass up.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Finally installed my kit on Sunday. They fit with the detroits and have plenty of room.

Pretty happy with the kit so far. Still not a fan of the brake lines and will probably look for a better solution next spring. They are kind of short and don't use the stock mounting points. Braking is really good. Once I had them properly bled and bedded all noise went away with the included pads.

The assembled rotors were 16 lbs. Calipers are just under 5 lbs.

I'll update again after I have some miles on them.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
The brake lines can use the stock horseshoe clip and bracket on the firewall. It takes a little fiddling, but it does work. For the attachment point, I got some universal brake hose clamps, bent the OEM mounting point off that bracket and then used the OEM bolt to attach everything. If that makes sense? I can point you in the direction of the clamps if you need.

Others seem to have better luck with the brake pads then I do. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong (if anything). I follow the bedding procedure to the letter so I don't know what else it could be.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Could you send me the info on the clamps that would be helpful. Maybe my hoses are a little shorter than yours. It just doesn't seem like they will reach if I use the stock routing.

What are your issues with the pads? When I first bled mine I still had a little air in the calipers and had a lot of knocking when braking. I bled them again and that went away. For the initial bedding I took the car out on the highway for about 10 minutes to warm them up and then did several hard brakes from 70 or 80 down to 30. Then I drove home through about a dozen stop signs with no noise and a bunch of burning brake smell. I don't get the smell under normal braking.

Really liking these brakes so far though.

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
If you're having trouble with the OEM horseshoe clip, you can give these a shot: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-300-6416. For the clamps, I got both of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BZQ7H6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BZQ7EE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I want to say that it's the 3/16 sized clamps, but I honestly can't remember. I just did some looking around and couldn't find the diameter of the braided lines. If you need help visualizing where you need to break off the OEM bracket, just let me know. It's pretty obvious.

The problems I keep having is noisy brake pads. I know that some of them are supposed to be noisy--it's just the nature of the beast. But I just put on Hawk HPS pads and they were great for about 500 miles, but just recently they've started squealing (on only the passenger side, I believe). I also get some occasional grinding, but only with the squealing. I'm don't think it's the pads because I had this same issue with another brand of pad. Now, it has been rainy or high humidity the past few days so that could be it. The best luck I've had with pads was the Wilwood Polymatrix Q with shims, but you're talking $140 for pads and shims.

If I did something wrong, I have no clue what it could be. I followed the instructions for installation and bedding to a T. I've written Wilwood, but haven't heard back from them.