GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side view mirror "defrost". Pathetic or just broken?

MrTocs

Ready to race!
Okay the weather has been changing. I go out to my car in the morning and the windows and side rear mirrors are covered in exterior condensation. I hit the defrost button and the back window clears up fine. Twenty minutes later my side view mirrors are pretty much the same. Left and right. Normal?

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Turn the mirror adjustment switch on the door to the up position. That turns the mirror defrosters on. The button on the HVAC panel just controls the rear window defroster.

MrTocs

Ready to race!
Turn the mirror adjustment switch on the door to the up position. That turns the mirror defrosters on. The button on the HVAC panel just controls the rear window defroster.

Holy crap. I'm an idiot. I always leave it clicked to the right because of parallel parking. Sigh.

Thanks Trev1342

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't think it was obvious either at first. It took me a while to figure out how to get the sunroof all the way back instead of leaving that small over hang portion, too... :bonk:

ralphykid67

Ready to race!

For real? I've been trying for two years to figure out how to turn it on (yes I'm that big of an idiot, and the manual didnt explain well).

So put it in the 12 o'clock position, and it activates defrost for both sides simultaneously?

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
For real? I've been trying for two years to figure out how to turn it on (yes I'm that big of an idiot, and the manual didnt explain well).

So put it in the 12 o'clock position, and it activates defrost for both sides simultaneously?

Yep, and it works well. It'll melt ice right off the mirrors.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Holy crap. I'm an idiot. I always leave it clicked to the right because of parallel parking. Sigh.

Thanks Trev1342
No problem. You'd never know that, it's so discrete.
I didn't know about it until not too long ago either haha.
Exactly. It's just for both the side mirrors. Front defrost is the zone knob, rear electric defrost is the button.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
It's all in the manual, guys! *sigh*

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
It's all in the manual, guys! *sigh*

The night I brought my car home I spent almost 2 hours reading through everything. :laugh:

razr390

Go Kart Champion
should have a symbol at the 12 o'clock too, if that helps.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
should have a symbol at the 12 o'clock too, if that helps.

Yeah, there's a symbol, but I think most think that it would just symbolize that the mirrors are heated.

razr390

Go Kart Champion

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

WAP

Go Kart Champion
The night I brought my car home I spent almost 2 hours reading through everything. :laugh:

Good for you. I did the same. It's amazing what you can learn in there.

:the more you know: